Project 3

Goran_M

Well, I thought I would post a little update as it has been very quiet around x-pilot lately.

The Hawker 4000 is still being textured and is roughly (and I use the term loosely) 60%-70% textured and I can't do anything with it until Theo finishes with it.  But I am seeing progress screenies and it is looking very "nice".

;)

The Bonanza is still being made but is on hold because the exterior is finished but I'm waiting on interior photos from "Chris" and he's away from home at the moment.  He comes back this week so hopefully I can get started on that this week.

Now, "Project 3" is the Saab 340.  I already have a ton of documentation on it and the AOM that is given to pilots is going to be brought over to my house sometime this week.

I was able to model the exterior of the Saab in the last week.  I figured I can't do anything on my other 2 projects yet so I'll get started on the Saab.

Anyway, here are some screenshots of Project 3.

It is still a work in progress.  I want to fix a few little things that bug me.  Overall, I'm very happy with it.

grab429.th.jpg

grab428.th.jpg

grab427.th.jpg

grab430.th.jpg

Thanks guys.

I was actually wanting to know something and I would appreciate feedback on this.

There are 2 different variations of the Saab.  They are the 340A and the 340B.  Also, some 340A variants come with an FMC and some have just a GPS.  Then the 340B has more modern displays and comes with an FMC as standard.

So, what I was thinking was to make a "base" version of a 340A (with default FMC) and then make separate "upgrades" available for purchase.

So a small fee to add the custom FMC to the 340A, then another fee to upgrade to the 340B.

I might even include a Saab 2000 for another small fee.

I would really appreciate as many people responding to this as possible.

Goran

I may be completely different than what most others think, i don't know. All i can think of is... I tend to only fly heavies and the like. I might buy this when it comes out because DL/NW uses them, and it would be an excellent addition to my DL/NW fleet; however, NW uses the 340B and I'm not going to pay 3 different things so I can get it.

But, it looks great, as usual ;)

Nils

I might have to clarify something.

The base package will, for example, cost $20 (NOT final price) and for $5-$10, you can purchase the upgrades.

So instead of paying something like $40 up front for a whole package, you can pay for what you really need.

It basically means it will cost the same what I would charge for a complete package.

This way, beginners can get the benefits of something more "basic" in the Saab 340A without paying for a full package.

Goran

My own experiences with upgrade packages with the 'other' flight simulator has been mixed.  I think I would personally prefer that if you were planning on selling a non-fmc 'A' and an fmc 'B', then sell them as separate items rather than as an upgrade.  If you felt that the entire package were worth $40, then price them to reflect their relative complexity, i.e. $15 for the A and $25 for the B or some such scheme.  I guess this is just semantics, but I think that many people might like one or the other, instead of just wanting B but needing to purchase A to get to B.  Of course this might generate less revenue in that many people may opt for just one of the packages, but from a consumer standpoint, "upgrades" feel, I dunno, more like an MMORPG than a flight simulator.

My own experiences with upgrade packages with the 'other' flight simulator has been mixed.  I think I would personally prefer that if you were planning on selling a non-fmc 'A' and an fmc 'B', then sell them as separate items rather than as an upgrade.  If you felt that the entire package were worth $40, then price them to reflect their relative complexity, i.e. $15 for the A and $25 for the B or some such scheme.  I guess this is just semantics, but I think that many people might like one or the other, instead of just wanting B but needing to purchase A to get to B.  Of course this might generate less revenue in that many people may opt for just one of the packages, but from a consumer standpoint, "upgrades" feel, I dunno, more like an MMORPG than a flight simulator.

We'll see what happens with this plan.  One of those "cross that bridge when we come to it" scenarios.

Goran

I managed to get my hands on the entire AOM for the Saab 340A/B. 4 PDF files at close to 100MB each (Gives you an idea of how many pages each section has.).

This aircraft was truly state of the art in the 80's.  The more I read about it, the more I love it.

I have learned a lot more about them and I feel confident I can model each variant to 100% accuracy with what I have seen in the AOM so far.

Anyway, Theo has finished texturing the Hawker 4000 and while she awaits programming (which should begin sometime this month or next month) I will continue working on the Saab series.

Cockpit is progressing nicely. 

yafaray20091008004644.th.png

yafaray20091008004029.th.png

I managed to get my hands on the entire AOM for the Saab 340A/B. 4 PDF files at close to 100MB each (Gives you an idea of how many pages each section has.).

This aircraft was truly state of the art in the 80's.  The more I read about it, the more I love it.

I have learned a lot more about them and I feel confident I can model each variant to 100% accuracy with what I have seen in the AOM so far.

It's stuff like this why I keep X-Plane on me harddrive!

Main panel and center console assembled.

yafaray20091010033150.th.png

yafaray20091009012805.th.png

And here you can see the wireframe of the overhead set against the background image.  I tried to make it as accurate as possible.

grab452.th.jpg

And 2 renders of the overhead

yafaray20091010032308.th.png

yafaray20091010031923.th.png

That overhead was fuelled by about 8 cups of coffee, a steak, OJ, 5 bowls of noodles and A LOT of music over a period of 19 hours.

TIME FOR BED!

:(

Nothing really worth bragging about.  The major things are done.  Filling in the gaps now.  Small objects like rudder pedals, rudder pedal adjustment lever, side walls, jump seat, stuff like that.  Mostly adjusting objects in the right positions and lining them all up with background images.

When it's all done and assembled, i'll throw a render up.

Goran

• 2 weeks later...

From now on, I will work on projects at night.  No distractions, no phone calls, everything is quiet.

Anyway, the cockpit.

Work in progress!  A few things need to be aligned and placed. 

Just the overhead storage bins in the cabin are left to model as well as a few miscellaneous items in the cockpit then I start UV mapping and animating.

yafaray20091029041515.th.png

yafaray20091029042603.th.png

yafaray20091029043258.th.png

Just a little update for now.  No renders yet.  I've been busy rigging the cockpit for the animating.  I've set aside my whole week this coming week for finishing the modeling and animating.  Theo will take about 3 weeks to UV map and texture it.  So hopefully, if no problems pop up, the Saab 340A variant will be ready by end of November/early December.  It will only be available with the default Saab livery at first with further liveries made available as the weeks go by.

Goran

From what I have seen in the AOM, the performance is slightly different.  Handling is different.  Also, some systems are different.  The 340A navigates using VOR and NDB stations and has 1 autopilot panel.  Later models have 2 autopilot panels, a GPS, FMS and extra status display on the panel.  This, however, will be custom work and will be worked on after the 340A is released.  

I'm not sure if I'm going to do a 340WT but I will definitely do a Saab 2000.  That is a damn sexy plane.  Glass displays and much bigger.

I almost forgot to mention.  The person helping me with information about this project, has about 1600 hours in a 340A/B/WT and he will be testing it AND helping me write a tutorial on how to operate it.

Goran