Google Earth Moving Map of Current Position with Sectional Overlay

durangoflyer

Like the topic says.... I wanted a way to view my current position in XP10 without having to pause the simulation to open the local map in the sim, so I created my own custom application to grab the UDP data gram and build a KML file that is read by Google Earth on a timer. I can specify the eye level for the zoom and provide a custom icon for the aircraft position. I run this on my laptop over a wireless link sitting next to my XP10 monitor.

Development was done in Visual Studio Express 2010 as a WPF Tray Application in C#. I use IPEndPoint and UDPClient objects on an interval timer to fetch the data and a BinaryReader to parse it out into Lat and Long for the file which is just an XML File. Google Earth is setup with a new Network File pull to the location on a interval of 2-5 seconds.

Sectional Overlay: I found a KML link file called Aero_Charts that allows me to toggle a sectional chart on and off for my location.

If anyone is interested in trying this tool, I am close to having something to distribute.

post-7714-0-44587300-1326427626_thumb.pn

post-7714-0-12451100-1326427663_thumb.pn

post-7714-0-93316800-1326427704_thumb.pn

• Upvote 4

• 3 months later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 2 months later...

First of all good work!

For iPad user there are also some effective apps (to buy, not cheap at all), that are able via wifi net ti interact x-Plane.

I wrote about: http://forums.x-plane.org/index.php?showtopic=64614&hl=

I do not know how, but it must be possible to put this track on google maps also into the MFD panel like in the real world. Maybe you are the one who can present us such a solution ?!

Hello! I apologize for not responding to your posts on my Moving Map Tool. I have not checked this forum in a long time. I still use the program from time to time, but most recently I started playing around with one of the iPad programs that does roughly the same thing. The iPad takes up less space than the laptop on my desk anyway. 

I did end up adding zoom buttons on the main screen to quickly move the eye level in the Google Earth. It is Windows 32/64 only and I have only tested it in Windows 7. I will look into making it an install package along with some instructions for usage if anyone would like to try it.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

First of all good work!

For iPad user there are also some effective apps (to buy, not cheap at all), that are able via wifi net ti interact x-Plane.

I wrote about: http://forums.x-plane.org/index.php?showtopic=64614&hl=

I do not know how, but it must be possible to put this track on google maps also into the MFD panel like in the real world. Maybe you are the one who can present us such a solution ?!

And for android users, there is a wonderful little app called "X-Plane to GPS", it costs a couple bucks and will use positionning info from Xplane instead of the device's GPS. You can then use any mapping system (e.g. google earth...) and see your position live.

I've used this app for some time now and it works well.

Link : http://www.appropel.com/

T.