starting APU while climbing up to 10000 ft

davidngr

Normally not.

It is usually not done unless you have an engine failure and want a backup for the bleed air.

If you are critically short on bleed air (engine+wing anti ice with 14th stage bleed, not modelled in our CRJ though) you could also use the APU for backup.

Philipp

For general Planes : I dont know the CRJ procedures.

No... You have to shut down the APU as soon as the engines are running. It is started again after landing, ( is at the discretion of the flight crew) and shut down when ground power is on line. External power is preferable! APU usage cost a lot of money (burn fuel)

Carlos

Edited by Carlos Garcia

APU ON 10th Stage OFF. After Takeoff (Pressurized meaning Packs ON): at 1500 ft or so you perform an "Overs" non verbal checklist which is APU START/STOP pressed (to Stop APU), L 10th Stage OFF, ISOL OFF, R 10th Stage OFF, LCV OFF then once your APU RPM drops below 50% you can then press PWR/FUEL. As Philip mentioned its also used in Cold/Moist Conditons where Bleed Air is a factor.

Note: Its ALWAYS used during UnPressurized takeoffs (Packs Off) due to short field departures etc. I would suggest learning the APU and 10th Stage first so when the 14th is modelled its much easier to learn. Any more questions feel free to send me a PM.

Tristan.

APU ON 10th Stage OFF. After Takeoff (Pressurized meaning Packs ON): at 1500 ft or so you perform an "Overs" non verbal checklist which is APU START/STOP pressed (to Stop APU), L 10th Stage OFF, ISOL OFF, R 10th Stage OFF, LCV OFF then once your APU RPM drops below 50% you can then press PWR/FUEL. As Philip mentioned its also used in Cold/Moist Conditons where Bleed Air is a factor.

Note: Its ALWAYS used during UnPressurized takeoffs (Packs Off) due to short field departures etc. I would suggest learning the APU and 10th Stage first so when the 14th is modelled its much easier to learn. Any more questions feel free to send me a PM.

Tristan.

Thanx for your reply!Could you please better explain to me this above-mentioned concept: "then once your APU RPM drops below 50% you can then press PWR/FUEL." Do you usually leave the APU doors open during the ascent phase?

Davide

Edited by davidngr

APU is started during approach because 10th stage and 14th stage can't be on at the same time. You need 14th for Thrust Reversers and de-icing. Checked.

I made an error in my last post where I said L/R 10th Stage "OFF"..I meant "ON" hence changing over from APU to 10th Stage.

You close the doors when you press the PWR/FUEL switch but only do so when the motor is running below 50% rpm.

Tristan.

APU is started during approach because 10th stage and 14th stage can't be on at the same time. You need 14th for Thrust Reversers and de-icing. Checked.

I made an error in my last post where I said L/R 10th Stage "OFF"..I meant "ON" hence changing over from APU to 10th Stage.

You close the doors when you press the PWR/FUEL switch but only do so when the motor is running below 50% rpm.

Tristan.

Thanx Tristan:-) Are u a real CRJ pilot?

Davide