New Saitek Panels Plugin

tsedge

I’ve completed work on my plugin for the Saitek Pro Flight Radio Panel and Saitek Pro Flight Multi Panel.  I’m making this available free to the X-Plane community.  

Future releases of this plugin will support Windows and the Saitek Switch Panel (duplicating Sandy Barbour’s plugin but with some options to remap some switches) and then any other Saitek add-ons that I get.

Having seen some videos on YouTube (I don't have FSX), the support with this plugin is actually better than the support Saitek provide.  I have done my best to make it as complete as possible.

The radio panel is fully supported:

- COM1/COM2, NAV1/NAV2, ADF, DME, Transponder active and standby radio display, adjustment and transfer (swap) with both upper and lower radios.

- Optional active radio only (no standby, disable XFER button) for planes without standby radios.

- Inner/outer knob adjustment to set fractional and integer radio values, exactly as in the real world and X-Plane cockpits, with digit wraparounds.

- Digit selector display and individual digit adjustment for ADF and Transponder radios, again mimicing the real world.

- Optional support for second ADF radio (if your plane has two).

- Optional display of DME distance and time via NAV1/NAV2 or GPS (saves squinting at the EFIS or DME down on the cockpit).

- Radios follow individual X-Plane radio power switches and also require battery and avionics on.

- Supports multi radio panel units (up to 8!) at the same time for those of you with money to burn.

The multi panel is fully supported:

- Flaps up/down.

- Autothrottle off/armed overrides AP selection.

- Elevator trim up/down with trim whell (four selectable levels of trimming: very low sensitivity, low, medium and high).

- FD mode selection and display via display rotary switch.

- Adjustment of FD altitude, throttle, vertical speed, heading and course via knob (automatic suppression of 'noisy' double-knob-clicks).

- AP, HDG, NAV, IAS, ALT, VS, APR, REV modes all supported and fully functional (with X-Plane default autopilot).

- Optional flashing mode indicator lights to denote ARMED vs. ACTIVE.

- Optional use of IAS to trigger FLCH when ALT is ARMED (useful if you are fond of FLCH).

- Optional adjustment knob acceleration to make fast adjustments (detects acceleration automatically and scales adjustments smoothly - tackles one of the key criticisms of the standard Saitek implementation on FSX).

- Partial x737 autopilot support.  Control of ALT, VS, HDB, AP (CMD/FD A), IAS/FLCH.  No support yet for VNAV, LNAV, VOR/LOC, APP.

Note that the multi panel is only fully supported when used with the standard X-Plane autopilot.  Planes which include a custom autopilot may not work correctly.

All plugin configuration options can be found in the Saitek Panels Plugin menu.

The supported platform at this time is Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) or above.  I’ve tested the plugin with X-Plane 9.31.  There’s no measurable impact on frame rate with my MacBook.  Windows support is coming soon.  Linux may follow at some point but is a low priority.

You'll find the plugin in the x-plane.org download manager here.

I hope people find this useful.

Tom.

P.S. Here's a video showing off the radio panel and multi panel in use.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vpAbpQ4qpps

Edit: 12th October 2009 - Uploaded new version 1.1 with multi panel support and support for multiple radio panels.

Edit: 14th October 2009 - Uploaded new version 1.1.1 with fix for multiple radio panels and for NAV2 dme distance/time display.

I've figured out how I can do a Windows version.  I've managed to locate my old XP Pro install CD so I can use Bootcamp on my MacBook to get an installation.  It'll take some time to do that and then figure out the Windows USB stuff, but I'll definitely go ahead and do it.  No promises on exactly when but Windows support is definitely coming. :)

Tom.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi guys,

Sorry for the slow response on this.

Rush: I haven't tested with 10.6 and 9.60 so I do not know if that combination works, though I can't see why not.  You could try the earlier 1.1 version if 1.1.1 isn't working - that seems to work better for sone people.  Are you using the radio panel, multi panel or both?

Visioninaction: I've not written a Windows version yet (still haven't got a Windows box and bootcamp didn't work out),  Howevet, I will be doing one, most probably in the new year ad I hope to get a box at Xmas for my own flying and will definitely want it to work on Windows.

Tom.

• 1 month later...

I have just purchased both the Radio Panel and the Multi Panel (still waiting for the latter to arrive) However, the Radio Panel works just fine. Can't wait for the Multi Panel to arrive!

I have also purchased the Switch Panel. Would be happy to help develop the plugin for that, but need some assistance - (my programming skills ended years ago with commercial languages!). Im using a  27" iMac which runs X-plane beautifully.

Excellent work with the plugin - many thanks.

Jim.

Jim,

I have two Radio Panels, the Switch Panel and the Multi Panel, two throttle quadrants, yoke and rudder pedals.  I fly on my MacBook Pro and everything works perfectly with the plugins Tom has already provided.  I know the plugins are available for download on the .org.  I don't think you need to worry about any programming efforts.

Hi,

Sorry for the delay in replying - had to do some work!

The panel is plugged directly into the Yoke, but I have also tried plugging into the usb port on the iMac. Neither display any landing lights, although the System Profiler on the Mac recognises the device and reads the manufacturers name OK.

I'm going to try it on Microsoft FX over the weekend to see what happens.

Jim

• 6 months later...

Skippy,

I have googled to see if there is a Mac plugin for the Saitek LCD Instrument Panels and as far as I can tell, there isn't one.  Tom Sedge is the guy who wrote the plugins I'm using for my Saitek panels.  I've PM'd him at the org to see if he would write a plugin for the LCD Instrument Panels and the new TPM Module.  The TPM (throttle, prop, mixture) module gives you vernier controls and 9 programmable switches but there isn't a plugin for Mac to program the switches.  The throttle, prop and mixture controls work great, but the switches will require someone writing a plugin.  Tom's response about the Instrument Panels was that he didn't have the money to buy one to work on a plugin but when he had the chance he'd look at it.  Here's what he had to say about the TPM module:

"Hi Steve,

I'm glad you are enjoying the plugin.

Truth be told, I haven't had any time to work on it for a long time now (over a year) as I've become busy setting up my own business. So I don't have any time available at the moment to extend it to work with the TPM module, though I'd certainly like to at some point (I don't have it myself yet but if things go well, I'll get it). I also don't have time to help you with this in any detail.

Yes, X-Plane only deals with buttons, not switches, so only one position will register. My plugin is written to handle each different type of input control on the panels, so it can detect switch positions and map them to whatever functions are needed in X-Plane.

As you say, choosing what to map them to is a good question. For everything on the other panels it has always been possible so far to map to something appropriate, so I haven't needed to consider a choice. I suppose ideally there'd be something like the existing X-Plane configuration GUI, where you can toggle the switch and then choose what you want to it to toggle. Programming that would require GUI work on top of support in the panel coding, making it more complex. Though it could perhaps just be done in an XML configuration file.

Have you done programming before? If not, you'd be starting with a challenge. If you have, then it isn't that hard. You'd first need to master the X-Plane SDK - see Sandy Barbour's materials and write yourself some plugins to make sure you get the hang of it. Then you'd need to master OS X USB work and learn more about how USB works. Apple provides a good toolkit and instruction manual on Leopard and Snow Leopard.

I'd suggest you do the following:

1. Master writing X-Plane plugins on OS X (if you don't know how to already).

2. Master OS X USB work using the apple toolkit.

3. Write yourself a test program that allow you to talk to the TPM module - There a free HID example in the Apple toolkit that will tell you what the panel USB ids are for the various buttons.

4. When you can control and read everything on the module, write an X-Plane plugin to wire it up to the datarefs/commands of your choice.

The resulting code won't be complex. I found the work was all in mastering the SDK, USB layer and figuring out how to read and control the panel. That's what takes the time.

Tom"

• 2 years later...

Hello Guys,

Thanks for this Plugin but it doesn't work for me. I have an IMac with OS Maverick.

I download the pugin (the link below : SaitekPanelsPlugin.xpl-1.1.1.zip). Than I unzip it and put the file "SaitekPanelsPlugin.xpl" in X-Plane10/Ressources/plugins. 

I have X-Plane 10 ans it doesn't reconize my Saitek Pro Flight Radio Panel no my Pro Flight Multi Panel.

Can someone can help me please. 

Thanks a lot.

Ludo

Edited by ludo1426

• 1 year later...

He hasn't even logged into this forum in over a year.  Sad, because I actually prefer the way his plugin worked better than sparker's plugin.  But for now, I think sparker's plugin is the only game in town for current operating systems and current X-Plane versions.  You can download it at the link below:

http://forums.x-plane.org/index.php?app=downloads&showfile=14646