No-DVD USB dongle?

OlaHaldor

I was under the impression I had seen with my own eyes that you could order a USB dongle for home use, so you don't need DVD1 inserted. I had accidentally forgot DVD1 at my own home, over two hours drive away.

Now I'm at my parents place for the holiday and, well, I can't fly. Having a USB dongle attached to my cluster of other dongles and USB drives would've been easier to remember to take with me.

I was shocked about the $750 price tag being the only choice. I'm not interested in a FAA approved boot sequence, nor do I need that.

Am I dreaming or did the option to purchase a USB dongle for home use exist just a few weeks ago?

Andrzej, I emailed Randy. He said they have no plans for such.

November 24:

"There are no "retail use" keys (that is, only to unlock the sim, not to unlock any of the Pro features) at this time. Expect this (maybe) in about spring 2012 and for the retail key to be $50 or so.

Thanks,

Randy Witt"

As far as I am aware, USB keys are not on the slate. The developers, including myself, received the commercial level keys for use during beta pre-release phase. They were not the standard dongles.

Perhaps they had initially considered this over again, but last speaking I have had indicates no dongles in sight for the moment.