Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
timdickson

Falco--- idle rpm

5 posts in this topic

Help.

At throttle closed idle and high (fine) pitch the rpm doesn't drop below 1500.

I've rechecked controller calibration in windows and x-plane verified low rpm in other models.

Ive also had a look in planemaker and it gives engine idle as a more believable 800rpm but I am not able to achieve this in sim.

What am I doing in wrong? And if not is there anything I could alter to bring idle down to around 800-900rpm?

Thanks TIM

Tim. The minimum prop speed set in the model is 1200 so that is the lowest you will see....which should happen with the power and prop control pulled all the way back. To get any lower, I'd have to make a (very small) adjustment to the cockpit object. To be honest, I can't even recall who/what/when/where or why it's set at 1200. If it needs to be lower I can do that.....or if you are so inclined, you can edit a text file (search and replace 3 occurrences) and that will fix the issue also, though it is certainly not your responsibility.

Edited by tkyler

No sweat. Thanks for the reply.

I'll pass on the text file edit.........I have problems changing a plug.

Planes great, you should be proud.

I'll just dirty her up earlier on approach that should sort out any energy problems.

Have a great Christmas across the "Pond".

TIM

I wouldn't mind editing those text files... Which ones are they, and what to look for? I noticed the issue as well. The 172 I fly in rw has a constant speed prop, but in the lower rpm region it behaves exactly like a fixed pitch 172 would, meaning idle is around 700 rpm, with prop setting at high rpm, and on the ramp I need to add throttle to keep it at 1,000 rpm. Seeing that the Falco has almost the same 180 hp engine I would expect a similar behavior.

Hey guys, well do make a backup copy of the files before editing just in case. In the Falco folder, there are two files....simple text files:

xs_Falco_V1.2_cockpit.obj

xs_Falco_V1.2_SI_cockpit.obj

The key thing to look for is the '_cockpit.obj' suffix.

Open those files and search on:

126.0 283.0 (single space between the values)

These represent the lower and upper bounds of the prop speed in radians/sec. You need to change these to:

79.0 283.0

which works out to about 750 rpm on the low end. If you want to adjust it further, then you can do the calculations and set these to whatever you like (within reason of course) ...just make sure it's in rad/sec. There should be THREE occurrences when you do a search and replace in those cockpit.obj files.