X-PLANE 10 DEMO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

karingka

You just might be lucky enough to take that long...hopefully some of the worst bugs will be fixed by the time you download!

I am having trouble to stay above 20fps with some decent rendering options around default KSEA - also get graphical errors on some settings (green water, red runways etc.). The shadows are killing my framerate and the in-cockpit-shadows are jittering all over the place dependent on the camera angle (which shouldnt affect those). The whole view system has been redone (not sure if to the better) and I can´t set up my joystick system because X-Plane freezes whenever I access the "axis" screen...

I foresee a public relations disaster descending upon Laminar. I know one guy who won´t care about it, though... just blast some more toy rockets into your neighbours house, I guess...

Jan (disappointed, if you can´t tell)

• Upvote 2

We won't pretend there isn't problems to be solved. Internally at Laminar, we are FULLY aware that there will be enormous issues that will surface when software hits the shelf and it gets on old, new, slow and fast systems. The best kind of testing is to just jump out there and put it in the field. Recall that this is a demo release...a release candidate for the purpose of pursing problems.

There is nothing new here. We put it out for testing (no beta team is big enough to represent the real market) ...we squash bugs, we optimize performance...we call it a "release candidate" all along the way until it can walk in the wild on it's own..then we'll call it final.

Edited by tkyler
  • Upvote 1

Got that right Tom, everyone complaining must be be new to X-Plane or just forgetful. Same issues happened when 9x was released but nobody seems to remember them now

that 10X is here. And being a demo, like beta testing, you will have problems. Please, report them so they can get fixed.

Have a great Thanksgiving Tom and family.

We won't pretend there isn't problems to be solved. Internally at Laminar, we are FULLY aware that there will be enormous issues that will surface when software hits the shelf and it gets on old, new, slow and fast systems. The best kind of testing is to just jump out there and put it in the field. Recall that this is a demo release...a release candidate for the purpose of pursing problems.

There is nothing new here. We put it out for testing (no beta team is big enough to represent the real market) ...we squash bugs, we optimize performance...we call it a "release candidate" all along the way until it can walk in the wild on it's own..then we'll call it final.

Yes, I remember going through this with XP8 and XP9...this time it´s a bit different, though. There has been a marketing hype buildup with videos and screenshots. The whole community (this includes a lot of FSX users) is very excited about this release and everyone has high expectations. Austin has made some pretty big remarks. People expect XP10 to deliver right away. A first impression is a lasting one - especially if it is your first contact with X-Plane.

There is no clear mention of the "beta"-nature that this demo has on the website. Disappointment will run high I fear.

I am here to stay - I am just afraid that this will not be an ideal start for XP10 as a competing product in the flight-simulator market as a whole.

Jan

• Upvote 4

About Hype... I always think the same... If you post a video.. or photo.. people will IMAGINE what they want.. and will SEE a totally different thing that the video or picture is posting. There is nothing can be done with people IMAGINATION..

There was no hype.. just people imagination.

I am not saying xplane10 is worst that expected. It depends in everyone imagined xp10 had to be. XP10 is XP10... and will be XP10.x where that "X" increase will be better and better.

This is the start gentlemen!! Put your imagination and your effort to make the 10 version better and better. Concentrate in constructive critism.. and leave the bad crisism away.

And ENJOY as it is.

People that comes from FSX will expect to see a FS11.. but this is XPlane.. not Microsoft Flight Sim. A sim with its good and its not good things. But that I consider globally better than the microsoft product. BUT not only this xp10 version, but also the XP9.

XP10 has born. He has a FUTURE in front of you.

Well... I guess I won't have any FPS issues on that one :-)

Unhandled exception: EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION (C0000005)
Flags=0, Address = 0x00000000
0) 0x00a8def7 (X-Plane.exe + 6872823)
1) 0x008e494c (X-Plane.exe + 5130572)
2) 0x0048335d (X-Plane.exe + 537437)
3) 0x7c80b729 (kernel32.dll + 46889)

Quiting on lauch (CTD), no way to fire it up.

Let's way and see for the coming updates, I might be more lucky.

I think the defaut settings are really bad, the first time you launch xp10 it's hell on earth :blink:

After a bit of tweaking i had a good result, i gave a try on a xp9 orthophoto with lots of objects and i have more or less the same performance, i can even add some of xp10 new stuff and keep good fps.

• Upvote 1

nope. it did set it to my XP9 settings with no new rendering features and the exact same 5 AI planes.... performance is only half of what XP9 gives me. I'm happy to wait for 10.1 or 10.2 and have a second look (waiting for aerosoft version).

edit:

The really strange thing, apart from the countless bugs I've seen (no issue, I understand the beta state of things) with my 3x10mins, is that even with dialed down settings and fps from 25-40 everything does not feel smooth. views still pan like it would be 9 fps, especially in the cockpits.

it is obvious where version 10 is heading, the great features I wished for are there (wheather and AI/ATC), but if performance does not improve a lot, then … don't know … I need to buy another, an even better Mac Pro… ? can't do, my system needs to last at least another 3 years from now.

Edited by woweezowee
  • Upvote 1

it is obvious where version 10 is heading, the great features I wished for are there (wheather and AI/ATC), but if performance does not improve a lot, then … don't know … I need to buy another, an even better Mac Pro… ? can't do, my system needs to last at least another 3 years from now.

I say this from experience: build yourself a gaming/sim rig, then use a Mac (laptop in my case) for anything else. Best of both worlds I believe- better performance and cheaper.

47 hours left, 10kb/sec. Good thing it's a 4 day weekend! ;)