Blender vs Sketchup for modelling - more efficient?

Simmo W

Probably because you scaled it several times in different modes (object vs edit) which induces awaiting scaling, which in turn reveals during export (the same way that an unapplied subsurf actually acts when you export even though it's not checked)

Make sur your scaling is always achieved in EDIT mode so that the mesh itself is adjusted, not the concatener object, OR make sure the obj properties are locked to x1 scale on all dimensions ('N' to pop-up obj properties in the 3D window), then Ctrl-A, then lock the x y z scales in the 'N' window, and finally work onto the vertices using 'select all' and shift-S.

This way you make sure that the appearant scale of the object is the same scale factor as the mesh itself, as the mesh should always be the true reference.

Probably because you scaled it several times in different modes (object vs edit) which induces awaiting scaling, which in turn reveals during export (the same way that an unapplied subsurf actually acts when you export even though it's not checked)

Make sur your scaling is always achieved in EDIT mode so that the mesh itself is adjusted, not the concatener object, OR make sure the obj properties are locked to x1 scale on all dimensions ('N' to pop-up obj properties in the 3D window), then Ctrl-A, then lock the x y z scales in the 'N' window, and finally work onto the vertices using 'select all' and shift-S.

This way you make sure that the appearant scale of the object is the same scale factor as the mesh itself, as the mesh should always be the true reference.

Thanks Arnaud. many traps for the innocent.

Have you done any texturing in Blender yet Simon? If so, how does it compare to SketchUp? Eventually I'd like to just do the models in SU and texture in Blender.

Yes Kaph, I have, in fact I did that first. As with everything in Blender, it is much more powerful, especially when texturing uneven surfaces. Coz the sketchup converted models are quite messy in structure, selecting all the faces can be a pain, but I'm finding I'm getting quicker at such stuff.

Then, of course, the strength of blender is its rendering engine, applying such things as ambient occlusion and normal maps.

In the end though, it may be overkill, for alot of basic scenery, SU is more than capable, as the real magic is in the .png texture file preparation, as we've all seen with Alex and Tom's XP10 scenery screens. Relatively simple structures, made to look amazing by their expertise. Blender is good for bulk, large scale work, I've been impressed by the ease of duplicating items.

I have said this many times, to many people - Pull apart Javier's LESA. I did so again the other day. It looks amazing, but when you look at the models, they're really quite simple. It's the textures that give the illusion, and yet its one of the most FPS friendly airports around.

Blender is great for animation too, my next step, on top of the normal map curiosity (Can't wait to see its effect on bricks) That's the main reason I wanted to learn it, on top of understanding the hell that our best developers go through, and their amazing skill levels.

Each independent process of modeling, UV mapping and ultimately texturing are highly related. The mesh is the foundation of the UV map, and the UV unwrap quality will ultimately lead to "ease" of texturing. We have a common saying in our office where we like to say we're good at "seeing the end from the beginning"...which is a fancy way of saying we have learned from experience and we know that what we will deal with towards the end of the 3D creation process will be dictated by what we do at the beginning of the process. This is something that is difficult to teach, but comes with experience. If you model in SU, unsure of how you'll handle texturing, then you're already tripping out of the gate....as Simon is finding out. IMO, sketchup is not suitable for efficient quality 3D work for xplane. You want to give up efficiency or quality or simply enjoy the model creation process, then by all means use it, it is fun...but if you want good results in xplane fast, then blender is the way to go....at a cost of taking the time to learn it.

So, I'm progressing well so far - another 5hrs or so today, texturing Chip's sketchup carpark. I highly recommend using SKETCHUP models to practice manipulation of vertices and UV'ing in Blender. COZ MY DAMN FINGERS HURT LIKE HELL AFTER 5HRS OF UV RECONFIGURING AND FIXING DOZENS OF ERRORS AND TRYING TO UV A THOUSAND FACES, ONLY TO FIND I'VE MISSED 2 MICROSCOPIC THIN FACES SO I GET TO TRY AGAIN, 'Tab' is my friend....

So Tom Kyler, never a truer word was said re. Modelling with a view to the UV appearance. I'm doin this the exact opposite way, coz I'd half started, but can now definitely say it would have been quicker to start from scratch.

Oh well, being positive, I'm discovering the wonderful power of muscle-memory, getting quite quick at remapping UVs!!

I now have a new problem, Theo must have this - when to stop adding details/texturing, you can go forever...

I'll try to make some 3D cars for the park next, took some pics the other day. Then I might sell them for $1 each, 'framerate friendly' (coz they'll probably have 7 faces!)

Untitled-2-1.jpg

Untitled-3.jpg