The Immortal DHC-2 Beaver

Pete_SMS

dont the saitek panels run using the SaitekPanelsdataref plugin? if they do you should be fine....I guess, unless Pete has used a different dataref for certain things?

I will use a good amount of custom datarefs, because I will create my own systems simulations and don't use XP internal ones. Only if they give me all the functionality and flexibility I need. Engine and flight control datarefs will stay the same, but switches and cockpit indications could very well be non-standard. Avionic datarefs for COM, NAV, ADF and Transponder frequencies will be standard too.

Like I said before, just let me know what you require for your home cockpits and switches and I will try my best that you "guys" are not forgotten. This is a good time to let me know. :)

Edited by Pete

I will use a good amount of custom datarefs, because I will create my own systems simulations and don't use XP internal ones. Only if they give me all the functionality and flexibility I need. Engine and flight control datarefs will stay the same, but switches and cockpit indications could very well be non-standard. Avionic datarefs for COM, NAV, ADF and Transponder frequencies will be standard too.

Like I said before, just let me know what you require for your home cockpits and switches and I will try my best that you "guys" are not forgotten. This is a good time to let me know. :)

Hiya Pete

Great dev so far, as I've stated before. The datarefs issue has been on my mind as well, especially as I've been thinking about a checklist running on snailpup's Checklister plugin.

But... I would be very appreciative if the GoFlight hardware (all using Sandy Barbour's plugin) still worked seamlessly, as it does for all my other acft. I have several switch panels, the simple A/P combined with a P8, the radio module and the landing grea/trim (original) all built into my cockpit.

btw... love the prop.

bc

Wow, you guys have sophisticated cockpits. Guess I need to upgrade at some point as well. So far its the Saitek AV8R Stick with the Saitek Throttle Quadrant. :)

If you guys let me know what you require to run your equipment with respect to datarefs, I will try my best to make sure that you can continue to use it. How do you actually hook up your equipment to specific datarefs. Only via Sandy's plugin or also via XP settings?

I use Tom Sedge's and Sandy's plugins. I fly on a Mac. Those plugins run the Saitek Radio Panels, Switch Panel and Multi Panel. The yoke, throttle quadrants and rudder pedals are run through default X-Plane button and control assignments. I also have Saitek's TPM module, but I don't have a plugin to run the 9 switches. The throttle, prop and mixture controls work fine. I know I could build a plugin to run the switches, but I am not a programmer and have little to no interest in learning. If anyone has a plugin for the TPM, I'd be grateful for a copy! Or if you want to build one for me, I'd entertain the thought of sending you my TPM so you could write me a plugin. :)

There is another Saitek plugin at the org written by Sparker (Bill) http://forums.x-plane.org/index.php?app=downloads&showfile=14646 I've played with it a bit, but I still prefer Tom's and Sandy's plugins.

At the mo Im using the defualt switching built into XP (defauly settings for buttons etc....), I have the DTA avionics panel that runs with the default button assignments as well, but am building a TQ and radio set from scratch, and the default buttons are a bit limiited hence the datarefs. I have downloaded the XPtoDataref button assignment utility and will play with that, so for me all I need is a list of datarefs you are going to use.

Slainte,

Andy

NZCH

Hey Pete

Well, the GoFlight equipment is all tied into the plugin. I'll grab a few screenies of the module menu selects and post them on Monday. There are *no* assignment allowances for custom datarefs in the plugin.

I have a G13 from Logitech that I have programmed (sort of a dedicated keyboard with a host of awesome features) that I use to control various custom datarefs as well as a host of standard sim features. For example, one of the 3 main modes I use for everything related to GPS/FMS (like using the thumbstick to scroll up/down letters-numbers and sideways for position when picking a fix (apt/vor/ndb/wpt) for the GPS)

I have also converted a numeric keypad, but it also works like a keyboard and is assigned using the standard Keys features, using standard or custom datarefs selected in Settings.

So, in summary, I can get at your custom datarefs only with keys and buttons, not with GoFlight. I do have an example though, where I have had to circumvent a GoFlight standard and move to keypad. The STMA Beaver uses a 'hold on' poll for its flaps, and the flap assignment on my GoFlight LGT module does not play with this, as it seems to release internally even if you hold it down. Thus, I have had to assign flaps up/down for the Beaver to two buttons on my keypad. I call it AUX FLPS UP and AUX FLPS DN on my key overlay labels :D

Anyhow, not a big, big deal for me, but at the price of GoFlight hardware, and the fact that I absolutely love these modules for their immersive nature and complete reliability, it's a bit of a bummer when I have to go from a $250 module solution to a $12.95 keypad solution (yeah... sort of ironic heh?) :unsure:

Long story shortened... not a deal breaker by any stretch!

bc

Hi Pete, thanks for listening to our plea's.....the images are getting very impressive, breathtaking is also a word I could use but its getting harder to find the appropriate words anymore, unless someone makes a new language!

Looking forward to seeing more scrennies and then eventually flying this beauty ;)

Slainte.

Andy

NZCH

Hi Pete, thanks for listening to our plea's.....the images are getting very impressive, breathtaking is also a word I could use but its getting harder to find the appropriate words anymore, unless someone makes a new language!

Looking forward to seeing more scrennies and then eventually flying this beauty ;)

Slainte.

Andy

NZCH

GROK

:D

Woohoo, I just made the COM/NAV frequencies to show properly at high resolution in my test/dummy cockpit by using generic instruments, instead of the low resolution standard instrument overlay. Pretty cool, and easier than I thought.

OK, nothing special for you really, but please allow me to be excited about the little things, because this is my first add-on after all and I love to share my excitement :)

More progress on the Beaver. :)

uv unwrapping of the cockpit and interior is also finished, and now the unwrapped parts will be split up into different texture maps. This will be a tradeoff between clarity and readability of the textures and the texture size and count itself, as this could have a huge impact on performance, if you go crazy with it and dont do it well.

As the goal is to have the Beaver running fine on slower machines as well, this has to be treated carefully and efficiently, because not only the high-end users should be satisfied.