The Immortal DHC-2 Beaver

Pete_SMS

Sunday Beaver Update 2

Hi all,

Here I am for another Sunday Beaver update. This week was mainly spent on the external aircraft model and textures and systems coding and prototyping.

The external model high resolution color, spec and normal maps are finished and the Beaver is about to get the first livery. I should be able to show this very soon. Besides that, I made progress on the coding side, but had to do a few things again, as I was not happy with the initial overall result, but I am getting there. No worries!

During the next days or maybe in a week, I want to talk a little bit about the Beaver release and my plans for this aircraft. I hope you will like what I am going to say. Especially the people who love this aircraft like I do. smile.png

Not a lot of text today, but more will follow soon. I have the feeling though that you would enjoy a few new pictures. wink.png

So here they are and I hope you like them...

BeaverNew_01_zps9f5e06d8.jpg

BeaverNew_02_zps4c9851a4.jpg

BeaverNew_03_zps49f3ef3d.jpg

BeaverNew_04_zps41e150d4.jpg

BeaverNew_05_zps0c0272bd.jpg

• Upvote 9

I like your use of ambient occlusion seen in these images. I prefer AO a little on the heavy side. You could almost feel the grime on your fingertips if you run your hand across the skin. Nice screenshots! 

Sunday Beaver Update 2

Hi all,

Here I am for another Sunday Beaver update. This week was mainly spent on the external aircraft model and textures and systems coding and prototyping.

The external model high resolution color, spec and normal maps are finished and the Beaver is about to get the first livery. I should be able to show this very soon. Besides that, I made progress on the coding side, but had to do a few things again, as I was not happy with the initial overall result, but I am getting there. No worries!

During the next days or maybe in a week, I want to talk a little bit about the Beaver release and my plans for this aircraft. I hope you will like what I am going to say. Especially the people who love this aircraft like I do. smile.png

Not a lot of text today, but more will follow soon. I have the feeling though that you would enjoy a few new pictures. wink.png

So here they are and I hope you like them...

BeaverNew_01_zps9f5e06d8.jpg

BeaverNew_02_zps4c9851a4.jpg

BeaverNew_03_zps49f3ef3d.jpg

BeaverNew_04_zps41e150d4.jpg

BeaverNew_05_zps0c0272bd.jpg

Just wanted to share a mid week screenshot. It shows the view control of the Beaver, which is now in place and properly working.

ViewControl_zpscf3a4fb3.jpg

I implemented an IFR view. Just in case the sky is falling down and you really need to focus on your flight instruments. You can select this view by using the View Control or to get there fast, you just have to click on the tail number plate. By clicking on it again, you go back to the default pilot view.

This view is also handy if you just want to practice you IFR flying skills.

IFR_zpsbbc96d9c.jpg
  • Upvote 3

Nice work, Pete!

This project has been a long time coming, and I remember you saying you had been building a framework for this, but looking at these screenshots it appears you have taken a different direction again and are perhaps using SASL now...is that correct? Just curious if you ran into some kind of stumbling blocks along the way that would provoke the change from binary to lua?

Hi Cameron,

Yes, it has been a long time coming, but life doesn't always go as planned and you have to keep in mind that I do all this beside a busy full time day job, family, baby and other constraints. So I am happy to have reached this stage so far, even by changing directions from time to time. It is my first aircraft and I guess this is natural, if you learn along the way.  :)

You are right, I built my own C++ framework for development, as I usually prefer to code in this language and it was working fine. However, I didn't like the pain to compile for three different platforms. I even bought a Mac Mini, just to be able to compile my code for the Mac, but I didn't like the idea to also install Linux as well, even I like to provide the Beaver to Linux users. So like I said, it was painful and the code turn around times, when I did a single code change became annoying. I know there are workarounds like having two folders of the same aircraft, where you just swap .xpl files etc., but also this was annoying.

Another developer suggested SASL to me and gave me a short intro and after trying it, I was hooked. I could implement my code within minutes and now I can re-load my plugin on the fly, without stopping a running simulation. This allows rapid development, prototyping and testing. I know that SASL has its limitations with respect to OpenGL, but since I am not into developing airliners or heavy avionics cockpits, there is absolutely no need for me.  SASL also makes it very easy for me to implement GUIs and I just love it that way.

Code encryption, if required, is a piece of cake and I can do it myself and the support for all three platforms is important for me as well, because I don't want to close the door for anybody, even Linux users might be a minority.

So no stumbling blocks. It was more a question of ease of use, a more rapid and streamlined development process, which is just fitting my specific needs and my own customer support. I still prefer C++ over Lua, but I can easily live with it.  :)

• Upvote 6

Sunday Beaver Update 3

Hello,

It is Sunday and time for another update. 

As you know, I created the View Control System for the Beaver this week and I hope you enjoyed the screenshots so far. In addition, I continued with systems coding and the animations of the external model. The first livery is still WIP, but hopefully I can show something soon.

Besides all the technical stuff, I would like to talk about the Beaver release today, and I can imagine that a few of you are interested in this. smile.png

The full modernized Beaver package will include the regular tire version, the cargo version with bush tires and cargo door with the corresponding interior and the amphibious version. As I know a lot of you are really waiting for the release, I came up with a release strategy and it will be a two step release.

The first release will be the regular tire version only, but of course it will have all the features and will have gone through the full test cycle. So don't expect a degraded version. It will be full payware quality! The second release will be the full package, with all the version mentioned above.

I chose this approach, because I would like to get the Beaver into your hands as soon as possible and I don't want you to wait until the full package is finished. I know a lot of you are waiting for this aircraft and I want to give it to you. Again, it will be fully developed and tested and at the moment, I just concentrate on the regular tire version. The one you have seen in the recent screenshots. It will come with three liveries and a blank exterior texture, so you are able to create your own liveries. 

I hope that nobody is disappointed by "just" getting only one version at the beginning. Well, most payware aircraft just come with a single version. The full Beaver package will have 3 different versions in the end.

Now, I would like to give a few more details on the pricing:

============================================================

Step 1

The regular tire version for a price of $24.95

Step 2

The full package, including all three versions mentioned above for a price of $34.95

As soon as the full package is available, the single version of Step 1 won't be available anymore. Customers can then only buy the full package.

Launch customers who bought the Beaver of Step 1 will be able to upgrade to the full package of Step 2, for $5. So they pay $29.95 for a high quality aircraft which comes with three different versions, instead of $34.95.

I really hope that you are happy with this approach and I think it is fair!

Now we come to the release date:

Step 1

The regular tire version will be available in Spring 2014

Step 2

The full package, including all three versions mentioned above will be available 2-3 months after Step 1

So here you have all the details and in the coming weeks, we can purely focus on the technical updates again. smile.png

You all have a great Sunday and of course a Merry Christmas! smile.png

• Upvote 11

Sunday Beaver Update 4

Hi all,

Well most of the week was spent with celebrating Christmas and spending time with family. However, the first high quality livery of the regular tire version was finished and you will see it in the screenshots below.

Also more progress on external animations and some code. I decided to focus more on 3D and animations right now, and once everything is in place, I will continue with the more technical stuff like flight modeling and coding.

Next, you should see some light texturing for the cockpit and interior. So stay tuned and I hope you enjoy the pictures below.

Sunday4_01_zpsf6ed2789.jpg

Sunday4_02_zpsd13b08d6.jpg

Sunday4_03_zps3d7b4afe.jpg

Sunday4_04_zps3385a93e.jpg

Sunday4_05_zpsfb9c5bd2.jpg

• Upvote 9