The Immortal DHC-2 Beaver

Pete_SMS

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I am moving closer to releasing the Beaver each day and I know that it has been a long time in development, but there are several things in the game here.

The Beaver is my first add-on aircraft and therefore, there was a lot to find out and learn and this took quite some time. I started development primarily for XP9, because XP10 was not mature enough at this point, but the situation changed during development.

Even the 3D aircraft and textures looked pretty good, I was not completely happy with it. A few months ago, I decided to start from scratch and to go for higher resolution textures etc. Sometimes, it is better to do it like that, especially if you keep an eye on the future and your development pipeline, which will be primarily XP10 for me. Probably XP10 only.

Beside all that, the most amazing thing happened in my life, which is becoming a dad. As a lot of you know, this is a complete life changer, with respect to time available and other things. However, I don’t regret having much less time for development at all, because spending time with my daughter and family is much more valuable than anything else in the world.

However, all this doesn’t mean that development stopped or that the release of the Beaver will not happen. Not at all! Work on the flight model, coding etc. is making good progress. There was a high speed stall on the 3D model and textures, but the Beaver recovered again. I guess I will be able to provide some news pretty soon.

So please don’t expect a release within the next weeks, but some time this year is VERY realistic. :)

• Upvote 6

Where you said you started development in V9... and future development will be "probably XP10 only," you still plan on finishing the Beaver in V9, right?

I just want to make sure the only project I think I still want to spend money on is not going to make me have to spend more for XP10.

• Upvote 1

2 reasons.

1. I prefer to put my money toward flying real aircraft

2. A lot of the improvements XP10 brought are visual. V9 works fine for me. However I do want the nice visual stuff in new products. The crj for example.

As to not hijack, if you would like to continue this conversation, please pm me.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

The Patient Pilot's Lament (sung to the tune of 'Home On The Range')

Oh I've got a home

Where the Beaver can roam

Where the Cubs and the Husky's do play

Then seldom we'd hear

The silence of fear

When the Cessna's can't come out today

Home

Western AK

A land for the Beavers to play

You've not heard a sound

'til you've heard that big round

With a Beaver there's no need to pray

:D

bc

• Upvote 2

Hey Hueyman,

Yup. I'm the guy with the bush flyin' site and the online Chapter-At-A-Time ( found here ).

The novel was designed to slowly build up to what I have been awaiting, like so many of us... Pete's Beaver. The  novel is meant to evoke the true spirit of the bush pilot and coast dog and this aircraft, the most venerable bush airplane of the Western World IMO.

When I discussed this with Pete a year and a bit ago, he wasn't a fortune teller, nor was I. And we all know what good fortune has befallen him, with he and his lovely wife having a baby and him building a new home for his family. Thus I patiently await the release of the final three chapters, which are written, as I intend to give it the good old marketing boost when Pete shows that he has finally managed enough time to fill in the next checkmarks in the dev. boxes :)

In the interim, there are still awesome gains in the bush flying sim world, with the Carenado 185 Bush and the STMA bush aircraft and the LES DC-3 (and maybe even a tundra-tired PC-6?  :P ). What I anticipate is a study sim for a Beaver. And I know that Pete has what it takes to re-define awesome for this aircraft model.

As for bush "expert"? Nah... less than 30 hours on the left coast of Canada looking for herring does not qualify me as an expert at all. But I'm one helluva enthusiast, that's for sure.

so...

altogether now....

GO  PETE  GO  :D

bc

EDIT:

FWIW, here's my fave version of "Home On The Range"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uMQulBPzD9o

Edited by Bamboo Cougar
  • Upvote 2

Hey Hueyman,

Yup. I'm the guy with the bush flyin' site and the online Chapter-At-A-Time ( found here ).

The novel was designed to slowly build up to what I have been awaiting, like so many of us... Pete's Beaver. The  novel is meant to evoke the true spirit of the bush pilot and coast dog and this aircraft, the most venerable bush airplane of the Western World IMO.

When I discussed this with Pete a year and a bit ago, he wasn't a fortune teller, nor was I. And we all know what good fortune has befallen him, with he and his lovely wife having a baby and him building a new home for his family. Thus I patiently await the release of the final three chapters, which are written, as I intend to give it the good old marketing boost when Pete shows that he has finally managed enough time to fill in the next checkmarks in the dev. boxes :)

In the interim, there are still awesome gains in the bush flying sim world, with the Carenado 185 Bush and the STMA bush aircraft and the LES DC-3 (and maybe even a tundra-tired PC-6?  :P ). What I anticipate is a study sim for a Beaver. And I know that Pete has what it takes to re-define awesome for this aircraft model.

As for bush "expert"? Nah... less than 30 hours on the left coast of Canada looking for herring does not qualify me as an expert at all. But I'm one helluva enthusiast, that's for sure.

so...

altogether now....

GO  PETE  GO  :D

bc

EDIT:

FWIW, here's my fave version of "Home On The Range"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uMQulBPzD9o

Okay ! Look forward to this Beaver too !

Yeah, but you know the Pilatus is not very famous in the western world, while it is a real king here ( for skydiving, mountain flying etc ) all over Europe... and also very much in PNG ( Papua New Guinea )

It seems in the US, the real bush planes are beavers, old 185, DC-3, Otter, Twin Otter etc etc ... And I like the new Sherpa from STMA !

BTW, don't want to pollute the thread at all ( and please feel free to delete my post if you feel so ), but please at this thread. They originally planned to also do it for X-Plane... but seeing the huge success it has on FSX and P3D, it seems they don't feel necessary anymore to make it for X-Plane... but this one is definitely a legend up in the rocky mountains, inside passage etc ... All Canada and British Colombia...

http://forum.aerosoft.com/index.php?/topic/72067-x-plane-10-variant-of-the-great-twin-otter/

http://fsfiles.org/flightsimshotsv2/images/2013/07/09/Lrjs1.png

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Getting closer each day  :)

I just coded a plugin for the standalone electrical system. I was not happy with the X-Plane generic stuff, and now I am completely bypassing it and have my own electrical system. This gives me full control and it behaves exactly like I want it to behave and I can add as much fidelity as I like. 

My goal is to replace all X-Plane generic systems with my own custom code and also to increase fidelity and add extra features for these systems over time. 

Also the flight model will be enhanced by custom plugin code, although I am pretty happy with it already just using planemaker so far. 

Just a small update...and since a week things really calm down here and development should pick up speed again. The last 10 months have been quite a journey though, without X-Plane  ;)

• Upvote 3