The Immortal DHC-2 Beaver

Pete_SMS

Who wants to break the news to Aerosoft?

"We are currently looking at a full overhaul of our Beaver project. It has been one of our best selling aircraft and it is rather outdated by now. The new one will be for FSX and X-Plane 10."

http://forum.aerosof...c/49253-beaver/

MM !!

So nice, thanks for the prop pic !!

That's impossible, you don't use your mouse,your brain should be connected directly to the computer to do that extra quality stuf.. You impressed me !

What the hell with Aerosoft ? we'll have to tell them ASAP

For me, it was just a matter of time until Aerosoft would consider to do a XP version of the Beaver, and there is nothing wrong with it.

Even I expected it, I have chosen to develop the Beaver, because it is one of my favorite aircraft and my favorite bush plane of all times. The most important thing for me is, that I work on something I love and I hope this love will show in the final product. Actually, I am pretty sure that it will.

I don't do all this, because I want to or have to make only profits, and due to this fact, I can do things and develop extra functionalities other companies probably can't consider. If this results in sales, I would be happy about it, because I could use it to create even better products in the future and to further increase the user experience. The biggest satisfaction for me would be to put a big smile on the users face and to give her or him hours and hours of fun. This is not just a saying for me. I really mean it that way and this is what SoulMade Simulations stands for.

So these news are not changing anything for me. I know why I am doing this, I have my goals and I will make sure I will meet them.

If Aerosoft decides to develop a XP Beaver, I seriously wish them all the best and I guess there is nothing wrong having maybe two versions in the end, and it is up to the user to make a decision.

OK....what else is new.

The external model of the amphibious version is more or less done and you can see it in the picture below. Have a look at the "ropes" on the wings, which are so typical for the float and amphibious version.

Oh, you are asking if they will be animated and swing around in the airflow while flying....you bet! :)

wip18.jpg

Edit: typo

Edited by Pete

...I have chosen to develop the Beaver, because it is one of my favorite aircraft and my favorite bush plane of all times. The most important thing for me is, that I work on something I love and I hope this love will show in the final product. Actually, I am pretty sure that it will.

I don't do all this, because I want to or have to make only profits, and due to this fact, I can do things and develop extra functionalities other companies probably can't consider. If this results in sales, I would be happy about it, because I could use it to create even better products in the future and to further increase the user experience. The biggest satisfaction for me would be to put a big smile on the users face and to give her or him hours and hours of fun. This is not just a saying for me. I really mean it that way and this is what SoulMade Simulations stands for.

So these news are not changing anything for me. I know why I am doing this, I have my goals and I will make sure I will meet them.

I admire and respect this. This type of passion and commitment are rarely seen these days. Thank you for your work. She is truly a wonder to behold.

For me, it was just a matter of time until Aerosoft would consider to do a XP version of the Beaver, and there is nothing wrong with it.

Even I expected it, I have chosen to develop the Beaver, because it is one of my favorite aircraft and my favorite bush plane of all times. The most important thing for me is, that I work on something I love and I hope this love will show in the final product. Actually, I am pretty sure that it will.

If Aerosoft decides to develop a XP Beaver, I seriously wish them all the best and I guess there is nothing wrong having maybe two versions in the end, and it is up to the user to make a decision.

OK....what else is new.

The external model of the amphibious version is more or less done and you can see it in the picture below. Have a look at the "ropes" on the wings, which are so typical for the float and amphibious version.

Oh, you are asking if they will be animated and swing around in the airflow while flying....you bet! :)

Edit: typo

Absolutely nothing wrong with having more than one rendition of an aircraft in a flight sim platform, especially if they offer different instrumentation and avionics etc. I know people who have bought both the Flight Replica Piper Cub and the A2A version for FSX. As they offer different things, if you are such a fan of the aircraft then you woul be happy to buy both.

Keep going Pete. What you are creating is wonderful. And I echo the sentiments in this forum, your devotion to this hobby is appreciated and it reminds me why I love it so much.

Thanks for the comments.

My network around this beautiful aircraft is growing and I am getting more and more information every day. I have met fantastic people so far, and I highly appreciate the time and knowledge they share with me. I couldn't ask for more. I will use all this, to make a great simulation of the Beaver and this beauty truly deserves it!

I added the aileron droop mechanism to the flight model today. This has to be controlled via a plug-in.

The ailerons of the Beaver will droop with flap deflection, down to a maximum of 15 deg for full flaps. Initial testing gave me a stall speed 5 mph lower than the no droop aileron. Pretty cool and shows that my concept is working. Needs to be fine tuned, of course.

Aileron droop is usually implemented to supplement the flaps, allowing a lower stall speed. However, this can bite you, because it will reduce your aileron authority. If you turn final with a steep bank angle and set full flaps at the same time, you might run into a problem. Due to the reduced aileron control authority, you might not be able to level your wings quick enough. I have to check how bad it is for the Beaver, and will then implement it as per aircraft.

I would swear you can implement that purely through planemaker. As a matter of fact, I remember using Jacques Brault's Norseman and it has the same feature.

Look for flaperons under special controls, or something similar, and you should be able to make it work.

Oh yes, that is correct. You can control the aileron droop through planemaker.

However, I am overriding all control surfaces with my flight control plug-in and that means, I have to take care of everything myself, because they are no longer "connected" to the X-Plane internals. This is why I said, that I control this part also via a plug-in.

Overriding the flight control surfaces gives me much more control and flexibility than pure planemaker settings and I can basically simulate any effect I could think of, if done right, and I make sure it is ;)

Hi Pete,

Your DHC-2 Beaver is a real beauty. I am looking forward to the release and to add it to my X-Plane aircraft folder. It is one of my all-time favorite planes.

I read someplace that a Polish expatriate was instrumental in the design of the DHC-2. Somewhere down the development line I'd like to see the "447kW Polish PZL-3S seven-cylinder air-cooled radial piston engine driving a PZL four-bladed propeller." variant added.

I know you must be busier than heck, but it is a neat variant.

Best wishes and good luck in completing this fantastic aircraft.

Thanks for the feedback!

@Osprey

Thanks for the wishes, and maybe one day your wish may be fullfilled. However, at the moment it is already a lot of work for all the different versions. It's not one aircraft, its three at the same time. ;)

The Beaver project is progressing nicely so far and the visual things are more easy to show at the moment.

When the 3d models and textures for all the different versions are in place, and when I have animated and exported everything properly, the hardcore work under the hood will start with not so much to show off visually.

My workflow might be a little different compared to other developers. I make sure that the 3D model is as accurate as possible, based on factory drawings, CAD models or what ever resource I have at hand. Based on the 3D model, I refine my "rough" planemaker model and make it exactly like the 3D model. The nice thing about it is, that I established a workflow which allows me to extract all the geometry data, required by planemaker, from the 3d model and Blender. So I don't have to work with backdrops, but just pure numbers.

This approach serves two purposes. It is much more motivating for me to fly in the real and finished cockpit, in order to do my flight model, engine and systems development, testing and refinements and on the other hand, I will spend a good amount of time in the cockpit and visual flaws or other problems can be recognized earlier and can be corrected on the fly. I don't have to wait until this baby goes into beta testing. I will establish more like a "continuous" development and integration process for myself.

Systems, flight model and engine programming is on the way already as well. I kind of had a head start, because I was working on a different project earlier this year, which is for sure not forgotten, and did a lot of plug-in testing, proof of concepts, prototyping and so on. This is still sitting on my hard drive and is VERY helpful for the Beaver as well, but not so easy to show on the forums yet.

However, I will constantly keep you up to date about what is happening and where I am at. I either do that in writing, by showing pictures and by creating little videos for you, to show things. These videos will not be like promotional videos. It will be short tech demo videos. The promotional video will come shorty before the release ;)

There will be also things I won't talk about or mention during the development process. These will be reavealed when the Beaver is ready for release. First of all, I guess you like to be surprized and secondly, I don't want to tell everybody what I am planning and what kind of ideas I have.

Your feedback on the forum is much appreciated and I also like to hear your stories, why you think the Beaver as an aircraft is great, why you would love to fly it in X-Plane, what would be nice to have in the X-Plane world for this aircraft. Create a little world around this gorgeous aircraft if you like. Your stories and feedback will help to make this aircraft the best it can be and I care about that.

Again, thanks for all the nice feedback so far. It is very motivating and reminds me everyday why I am doing this.

OK, here comes an important question.

Who would like to see an autopilot in the modernized Beaver and also important is why you would like to have it.

The modernized cockpit is reaching its final state and either the AP goes in or it stays out. Since I am overriding the control surfaces and have to take care of everything myself, an AP would mean that I have to code the control laws myself which is a good amount of extra work.

So do you want one and why would you want to fly a hands on bush plane like the Beaver with an AP.

My feeling is currently against it. Not because of the extra work, but it doesnt feel right at the moment. However, maybe there are valid reasons to have one.

So, let me hear your voices...

Personally, it's not a necessity... because I've noticed ANY ACF in X-Plane got a intergrated autopilot.

Just have to configure joystick or keyboards key to heading hold for example, or altitude, pitch change, ILS approach, then other keys for Autopilot Servi toggle and it works ! Check it.

So, I don't care if you put one into your wonderful Beaver ;-)

I don't believe the Beaver was built for long haul flights that may necessitate an autopilot (or at least make it less tiresome to fly) so I don't think it is necessary. As James says, even if it doesn't have a built in autopilot, if you have the Saitek Multi Panel or you configure your joystick or keyboard keys, you can operate X-Plane's autopilot even if the aircraft doesn't have one. However, I am sure there are some Beavers out there with owners with the funds to install whatever avionics packages they desire, so I don't think it is far-fetched to have an autopilot in your Beaver. I guess I'm saying I don't care either way. I generally fly the X-Plane Beavers I own now by hand....trimming...trimming...trimming......

Hola Pete, Este avión esta Muy hermoso, es bueno saber que lo mas importante para ti es la pasión y los deseos de Construir este avión.

Se puede ver en cada imagen, en cada detalle y en cada palabra que escribes, que realmente te apasiona.

Gracias por este gran proyecto. :)

Sorry to write in Spanish ... Today I dont want to write in English ... just Spanish ...

Carlos Garcia

Edited by Carlos Garcia