The Immortal DHC-2 Beaver

Pete_SMS

Work on the exterior continued and here are a few screenshots showing more detail, like the doors, windows, the structure on the control surfaces, flap and aileron hinges, engine details and so on. Still lots of things missing, but I thought you might wanna see.

...and noooooo, this is not the final color of the aircraft, but I think it looks cool and highlights the detail :)

Interior modelling will be next, but I am waiting for some nice info and material from a very famous seaplane company which is supporting. All this will make sure that everything will be as accurate as possible. Shouldn't take to long though, until I have it.

Until then, work will continue on things that will be standard in every Beaver like the engine control levers, rudder pedals, cockpit oil refill and probably some exterior detail like door hinges and so on.

Today, I also got my operating manual and the maintenance manual for the Pratt & Whitney R-985 engine. So lots of reading ahead as well, because I will use that info for my engine simulation plug-ins ;)

OK...enough talk for now.

wip07h.jpg

wip08.jpg

wip09.jpg

• Upvote 1

Hey Pete, wanna know something really funny? That paint scheme in the render is the same paint scheme I did for a guy who has an RC Beaver. If you make that colour a little more red you will have the paint scheme for Sir Edmund Hillary, who used one on his Antarctic Expedition in 1953 (?). The colour is called International Orange (in the US) or Chrome Scarlet (in the UK). I can provide a link to the plane if you wish......might even have some piccies of it in restoration mode back in 2008.

But I digress.....these renders are fabulous, the detail is fantastic and you mention there will be even more!!!! I cant wait for this one to come out :)

Slainte,

Andy

NZCH

Thanks for the feedback guys. Much appreciated!

The Beaver has been a real X-Plane development motivation booster for me during the last weeks and it will continue to do so. It is gorgeous and has so much personality. I just love it.

@Andy:

Yes, you are right. It has the white stripes on the side and the more yellow bottom wing surface, right?

Maybe a painter is going to make this one later on. I am planning to have a neutral paint kit as well for the release, so that people can create their own favorite paint job.

I wanted to share this video and maybe you know it already.

It is about flying, the Beaver and ... Just another Pilot ...

This video is touching me, and really shows what flying is all about.

Pretty cool.

X-Aviation did some work this year for ICON Aircraft and we had a party during the week which we put on for various people in Oshkosh. Harrison Ford was one of our guests and was a nice guy to talk to. He has a great passion for aviation, and is especially interested in helo flying!

wow looks great. do you know if there will be a big frs drop while using this plane

Glad you like it so far.

With respect to framerates, it is a little too early to talk about it. Textures have the big impact on framerates if you have too many big ones. X-plane can handle a high poly count pretty much OK, though.

Poly count and textures for the Beaver will stay in a reasonable range, so that I am not expecting a higher framerate hit than with any other general aviation add on.

While getting more and more familiar with X-Plane animations, I have been playing around with a few ideas. One of them is airframe and engine vibration, which I think adds a little bit more realism to the aircraft.

Instead of having a pure static cockpit, it would be cool if parts would vibrate due to a rough engine, or a power setting which is exciting vibrations or just vibration/shaking due to taxiing on a rough terrain surface.

Well, my "dummy/test" cockpit was already nicely shaking and vibrating due to certain conditions like engine settings and terrain. Pretty cool, but also in its initial concept phase. Animations and plug-ins work very well together. ;)

• Upvote 1

Glad you like it so far. With respect to framerates, it is a little too early to talk about it. Textures have the big impact on framerates if you have too many big ones. X-plane can handle a high poly count pretty much OK, though. Poly count and textures for the Beaver will stay in a reasonable range, so that I am not expecting a higher framerate hit than with any other general aviation add on.

okay thanks

Will there be a coffee holder? My PC has one, I just push the eject button and there it is :) I was watching the video posted here earlier and noticed that Harrison was flying hands free for some of the flight.....that must be one stable bird with excellent trim abilities!!!! Soooo looking forward to this one when it is realeased ;)

Slainte.

Andy

NZCH

While waiting for some specific info, work in the cabin progressed and I would like to show you a new work in progress render. As always, still LOTS of things missing in the cockpit, but you can get a first impression, what it may look like in the end and what detail goes into it.

Just imagine some textures on it....well that is still some time ahead..... :)

Hope you enjoy!

wip10.jpg

• Upvote 1