SocialAero, a new site for pilots (and non-pilots!)

inktomi

Hello folks!

I've been working night and day on a project I'm calling SocialAero. Basically, it's a way for the public and pilots to link up and get up in the air.

I'm a private pilot (working on my IFR cert), and one of the things that I wish was easier was finding people who just want to get up and fly around. It's expensive building hours yourself!

I was wondering if anyone might give some feedback on the site. It's still quite young, there's no one using it yet.. so things can be changed!

The site works based on your world location - so you'll only see things on the site if you're in or near Las Vegas. Feel free to add aircraft, etc to the site if you want to see how it works (try to make them real planes that can be rented from someone though).

If you go to the trips page and search for Las Vegas, Nevada at the bottom, you can see a trip I put in to see sort of how that works.

There's also a good amount of airport information imported into the site. KHND is an example for you.

Anyway - I wanted to get your opinions, ideas for what would be cool, what you hate.. etc. Mind taking a look and helping out?

Great website! Just registered, I'll definitely be keeping my eyes open on the progress of the site!

PS: One thing that would be cool would be the ability to add an picture when adding an airplane. Ie: If you've got a picture of the real airplane you can upload to the aircraft database.

Edited by Oliver

IFR ground school - fun! I did that two months ago. Good luck!

I'll be working on it tonight. One thing that I'm also trying to figure out is the best way to make the site useful for people who are new to the site, and the first in their area. I should add a "find planes near ____" form like I've got for the trips, I think.

Thank you for helping to beta test this site, and for all the feedback.

I did a lot of work tonight trying to make the site easier to use.

What do you think of the new Trips alert on the Airports page? I was trying to call out more attention to that.

I also need to work on a landing page for the Trips page when there are no trips near you available. Something like "Help us get pilots near you involved" or something. I'm horrible at creative copy =\