Introducing Remote CDU, the easy way to expand your CRJ cockpit

philipp

Hello, all,

this is some hot news from the development headquarter:

I have been asked numerous times if it was possible to have the CDU (the "FMS console") on a separate screen, like vasFMC. While many of you like the 3D cockpit with 2D FMS popup, there are people who would like to utilize a second monitor for the CDU.

I usually have my notebook at hand when flying, to display charts and checklists in the browser (printing charts is so last century!). It always bothered me I couldn't have my CRJ FMS on it.

Until today.

Today I want to unveil the new remote CDU for the CRJ, that allows you to operate the CRJ FMS from outside X-Plane, on another screen or networked computer.

remote-cdu.png

A networked computer is perfect for driving a touchscreen if you build your homecockpit.

But, wouldn't it be great if you could use the most amazing touchscreen in the world as your CDU?

With CRJ remote CDU, you can: The remote CDU is written in HTML5, and it works on iPad!

(or any Android Tablet. Or Blackberry Playbook. Or Kindle Fire. Or HP Touchpad. Just anything that has a decent HTML5 capable browser). Here it is on a Android Honeycomb tablet:

galaxytab.png

Remote CDU will be shown in a hands-on demo at FSWeekend.

Remote CDU will be available as an upgrade to the CRJ for a small fee of $499, and it comes with a free iPad included.

No, just kidding :D

It will be available as a free update for all CRJ customers, and if it makes you want to buy an iPad, well, go ahead...

Philipp

• Upvote 2

Well this is awesome.

What would be even better would be if I could use this to dial into other people's CRJs without their knowing, and send them on amusing diversions. Is this possible?

Only on the same subnet. To mess with other people's CDUs over the internet, you need their WAN IP (or a dyndns account), they must have set port forwarding on their router, and they must allow connections from the "outside" (WAN) to the port the CRJ remote CDU server runs on.

Philipp

Only on the same subnet. To mess with other people's CDUs over the internet, you need their WAN IP (or a dyndns account), they must have set port forwarding on their router, and they must allow connections from the "outside" (WAN) to the port the CRJ remote CDU server runs on.

Philipp

Hmm. That seems likely to be beyond the scope of the CRJ's installer to set up automatically. What a shame; I won't be making any subtle virtual hijackings then!

This HTML-based gauge is a great achievement, Philipp! I've not seen this technique used before. Do you think there's scope to use HTML5 for cockpit instruments that aren't visually a computer system? (I'm thinking here of systems like weather radar.)

Edited by Dozer

• 1 month later...