Creation of Muchamel (LEMU)

OlaHaldor

I'd like to create some scenery for a few airports, but I have no idea how to get it properly into X-plane. I've modeled in LightWave and tried to convert to X-Plane .OBJ using Blender.

Then I guess all is left is to create an overlay etc using these fancy editors. But I have NO idea what I gotta do and how to do it. The one time I tried it, and thought I got the hang of it, I wasn't even sure if I got to the correct location. I saved, opened X-plane and to my huge shock - all scenery from this area had disappeared. All sea, no land. So obviously I've done something totally disgusting to X-Plane.

I googled a while back for tutorials on this matter, but I didn't really understand much of the little I found, if any at all. Would anyone mind giving me a heads up? Or maybe even consider creating a tutorial? I'd like to know the following:

- How do I import and place the 3D objects I created?

- How do I make the runway?

- How do I texture the runway?

- How do I set radio frequencies?

- How do I make it appear on the map?

Sorry I can't answer any of your other questions, but to import and place 3D objects, you need to get overlay editor, and once you have the object created, put it in a library in your custom scenery folder, and open it up in overlay editor.

This page may be useful: http://wiki.x-plane.com/Anatomy_of_the_X-Plane_Scenery_System

• 2 weeks later...

A friend of mine who lives in Spain went to the airfield where the club he's a member of holds a few planes. He provided me a bunch of photos so I could make models and use them for textures.

I spent a couple of hours today to make this hangar, based on his photos and then used them for texturing.

I will try to bake the shading into the image map itself, so it will look more or less natural. This hangar is only 248 polygons! And I'll try to make the others just as simple too. Textures will do the magic, and it will look killer. Hopefully.

More or less completed the club buildings today. Gotta create the windows for the restaurant (the one with the chimney). Except for that, me and Alex, the buddy in Spain are satisfied so far. :)

I gotta mention what we did something really neat! I found a little application that made me able to share my desktop as a webcam source. He sits in Spain, I'm in Norway - Skype conversation with webcam - BAM! Instant feedback on what I'm doing. And a couple of hours of tweaking here and there.. Really liked working that way. :)

Here's the screenies !

A little update then.

We're having so much trouble placing the objects around the airfield with the sloped runway feature switched ON, so we're gonna develop further with it OFF, which means we will not support how it looks with sloped runways switched on, unless Laminar or someone else makes a tool so we can fix the landscape. Because in real life - there is no slope at all, not on the runway nor where the buildings are.

I've got a few hangars left to model, and a couple of smaller things like an old "follow me" car, and probably a bit of fences, and some gadgets and boxes to place inside the open hangars - then there's the whole process of UV mapping and texturing it.

Good news is NORMAL MAPPING LOOKS SWEEEEEEET on the hangar!

I'm almost done texturing the restaurant part of the club buildings. I only need some photos of windows, and it's all set. Then I need to texture the containers behind the restaurant which is the simulator room.

Starting to model the other hangars today. I think these will be ready pretty quickly.

Screenshot of the restaurant. As mentioned - need windows. :) I think this one especially will be very nice with normal mapping and add a new degree of realism to it "in-game".

Here's one of the hangars as well. Starting to create details like air condition etc. now.

Gonna redo the normal mapping for the curved club hangar, and create for the three other buildings I've completed as well. Then I'll make a few screenshots in X-plane. I've got loads of other things going on other than scenery development at the moment as well - give me a little time.. :)

Added some stairs. Oh boy do I love the fact that I use LWCAD! I can't thank these tools enough..!! I started with the upper platform, then made one step at the same height as the platform. A copy tool makes it possible to copy the selected polygons (the one step in this case) and offset it as much as I want in XYZ, and add as many copies I want. Now the cool thing is that the new copies will offset just as much as the first copy - BOOM! In a matter of a few seconds, you have all the steps.

My smile is as big as  ;D , so I gotta create a short video to show how I made the stairs with the railings and all.

Now for the render....

Made the logo in 3D and put on the wall where it should be.

Now there's very few details left really. Just gonna add some antennas and some air condition units, and a few lamps around the building. Then I'm gonna convert this hangar to the other one which has a slightly different entrance on the back.

These are EXCLUSIVE for X-Pilot. I'm to tired to put them up anywhere else.  ;D

I said to myself about 4 hours ago I wouldn't sit up all night.. But then I got the hang of the texturing of this hangar, fixing minor problems here and there, adjusting according to the comments from Alex. And so I went all the way and made it into X-Plane. I'm impressed by myself. Two days (48h or so) hours of work, and this is what I've got so far. Hope normal mapping will be easy on this one..  ::)

Featuring a few different angles mostly like a spotter or photographer from another plane would've shot it. Enjoy!

Ready to be Rick Rolled? 

Been working all day with meetings and organization of refurnishing of the new offices, about no time to do anything on the scenery. So I spent a few hours testing a little bit of runway stuff. I'm happy to tell you - I'm on track! Gotta sort out some distance issues with some of the markings and add a centerline, then the runway is done!  ;D

Notice I also fixed some windows on the roof. Might have to reorder a bit though.