Advice on New iMac

simbabeat

I am planning on buying a new iMac this weekend because it is tax free weekend here in TN.  The tax free thingy applies to computers up to $1500.

I am going to get either the 2.5ghz 21.5 inch or the 2.7 ghz 21.5 inch.

Just stock, the 2.7ghz is right at $1500: http://store.apple.com/us/configure/MC812LL/A?select=select&product=MC812LL%2FA&mco=MjIwNTQ2NTA

Just stock, the 2.5ghz is $1199: http://store.apple.com/us/configure/MC309LL/A?select=select&product=MC309LL%2FA&mco=MjIwNTQ2NTk

So here is my idea.  If I get the 2.5ghz one, I can upgrade that one to 8gb of RAM and still be under $1500.

So in your opinions, which computer would be better?  The 2.7ghz quad core, with 4gb of RAM, or the 2.5ghz quad core with 8gb of RAM?

I didn't mention the video cards because both come stock with 512mb VRAM non upgradable which I am fine with.

Cheers

Sorry, I know how I am going to sound now, but... go for PC.

Way better value for money. Unless you really need MacOS there is no reason to get those overpriced computers.

(Funny, just posted it using MacBook Air - work laptop).

Just my opinion.

Kind regards,

Kamil

Currently for X-Plane the faster GHz model would be better. X-Plane currently doesn't use all 4GB ram because it is only 32bit, so the 8GB is pointless. However X-Plane will benefit from the faster cpu.

This logic assumes the machine is only for X-Plane. For everyday work 4GB should be sufficient, however if it isn't you can always upgrade the ram. While the cpu is very difficult, if not impossible.

Just my 2 cents.

Cheers

Kieran

Sorry, I know how I am going to sound now, but... go for PC.

Way better value for money. Unless you really need MacOS there is no reason to get those overpriced computers.

Ha funny... PC hehehehe.  I can get Linux and Mac on my Mac with REFIT.  But please, let's not start a MAC vs. PC war.  I asked for advice on already decided product buy.

Currently for X-Plane the faster GHz model would be better. X-Plane currently doesn't use all 4GB ram because it is only 32bit, so the 8GB is pointless. However X-Plane will benefit from the faster cpu.

This logic assumes the machine is only for X-Plane. For everyday work 4GB should be sufficient, however if it isn't you can always upgrade the ram. While the cpu is very difficult, if not impossible.

Just my 2 cents.

Ya,  I remembered after I posted that apple always triples the price of RAM.  So a RAM upgrade would cheaper buying the RAM separately.

I know you are set on a computer and I don't want to nag you, but I thought I would comment here because I went through the same thing a few months back. Honestly, I think I would have made a big mistake getting the iMac. With the PC, I have the ability to upgrade parts and I have a much larger display to run XP on. All for a lower price than the Mac equivalent. Just know that you are stuck with what you have with the iMac...

Just my thoughts. Be sure to get the faster CPU though...

Good luck on the new computer! ;)

Just know that you are stuck with what you have with the iMac...

Absolutely most certainly not.*

If you want the 8GB RAM vs. the 4GB (I personally would) don't buy the upgrade from Apple. Buy the computer equipped with 4GB RAM and purchase the upgrade from a external supplier (Newegg is a personal favorite). The price will be less. I've done this now with two Macs, my old MacBook and an old Mac Mini. Both times the process was easy and cheap.

Ultimately the choice is yours of course, and either way you won't go wrong. I just see double RAM as much better than and extra 0.2 GHz.

*It should also be noted that you can upgrade the hard drive in most Macs; even in laptops.

Oh god, only 512mb of VRAM?? Really, you can get a very powerful PC for those prices and easily upgradeable. If you are wealthy, get a Mac pro. Other than looks, why are you narrowing down to these models? Xp10 should make good use of a fat 1-2gig gpu, don't limit yourself.

Oh god, only 512mb of VRAM?? Really, you can get a very powerful PC for those prices and easily upgradeable. If you are wealthy, get a Mac pro. Other than looks, why are you narrowing down to these models? Xp10 should make good use of a fat 1-2gig gpu, don't limit yourself.

+1

I have a 1GB card and even it can't handle maxed out settings too well. I thino you will be disappointed when V10 comes out with just a 512.

Macs are great,.but why pay more money for weaker hardware as far as an XP rig goes?

If you want the 8GB RAM vs. the 4GB (I personally would) don't buy the upgrade from Apple. Buy the computer equipped with 4GB RAM and purchase the upgrade from a external supplier (Newegg is a personal favorite). The price will be less. I've done this now with two Macs, my old MacBook and an old Mac Mini. Both times the process was easy and cheap.

Ultimately the choice is yours of course, and either way you won't go wrong. I just see double RAM as much better than and extra 0.2 GHz.

*It should also be noted that you can upgrade the hard drive in most Macs; even in laptops.

Exactly.  I have upgraded both on my current machine.  Why apple solders the video cards to the motherboard is still beyond me though.

I have a 1GB card and even it can't handle maxed out settings too well. I thino you will be disappointed when V10 comes out with just a 512.

That was my fear.  Which is exactly why I'm looking at this now: http://store.apple.com/us_edu_242840/product/FC511LL/A?mco=MjEwNTcxMTA

They solder their GPU's to the motherboard because they want you to drop a ton of money on a new computer every time you feel the need to upgrade parts.

Simon, that iMac with the 1GB card looks much better. That's pretty close to what I have as far as hardware goes.

What rig do you have now?

They solder their GPU's to the motherboard because they want you to drop a ton of money on a new computer every time you feel the need to upgrade parts.

Simon, that iMac with the 1GB card looks much better. That's pretty close to what I have as far as hardware goes.

A Macbook Pro 1,1.  1.83GHz Intel Core Duo.  2GB of RAM.  128MB of VRAM.  Surprisingly, it can run pretty much everything except for products like the CRJ.

A Macbook Pro 1,1.  1.83GHz Intel Core Duo.  2GB of RAM.  128MB of VRAM.  Surprisingly, it can run pretty much everything except for products like the CRJ.

You'll be in for a treat with your new rig!

I will be! Ill also be spending a lot more money probably because I will be able to fly the later an greatest!

I found a little Mac trick to throttle your CPU power all to x-plane. I'll post that another time. That's probably the only way I could have run x-plane on that MacBook.

Thanks Kaphias.  Now here is my predicament, to upgrade to Lion or not.  I am currently using Snow Leopard and am perfectly happy.  I have heard mixed reviews about it.  I don't want my mac to have iOS on it.  I have my iphone for that...

No harm in waiting. I have the same opinion as you and while I couldn't upgrade right now anyway, when I get a new Mac in a year I'll be sure to still have my Snow Leopard disk around.

I would stay with whatever system your new iMac came with.  My experiences with new versions has been to wait at least 9 months from release date before I upgrade.  But I am very leery of putting a new system on a machine that came with a perfectly good operating system.  I've been burned too many times!

Ha!  It takes some getting used to.  I actually have turn my head to look around the display! Wooh!

I opened up x-plane with my old rendering options on my old comp (1.83GHz, 2GB RAM, 128VRAM) And i was getting 200+ in the fps department.  I think I'm going to cry!

I have to warn you- pick your fps goal now and stick with it. When I changed computers I went from ~20fps to 100+, and now I can't stand it when the fps gets below 40. Of course this means I'm missing out on a lot of potential detail, but since I got used to the high fps I'm stuck with it. Play around with your settings and try and find a good balance- good luck!