I'm taking a break

OlaHaldor

Even though I've been awfully quiet the past few months, I've been lurking around here, trying to fly a little whenever I had the chance. I've also gathered new information and reference photos for one of the airports.

The bad news is that I, along with a lot of others in Norway, know someone personally or know someones brother, sister or sweetheart that's missing after the shooting at Utøya yesterday evening. It's devastating to us all. So far, 84 kids has been reported shot and killed. Over 40 critically wounded and brought to hospital for surgery. The entire nation is in shock.

I'll be back, but I can't tell when. This needs to sink in and become 'real' in my head. It all feels like a thriller I saw last night on TV.

Just gonna give you an idea of this horrible event.

The shooting took place at this (ironically) heart shaped island, filled with hundreds of kids from 16-25 years. Some write 500, others 750 kids. No matter what - it's a lot of them..

The island is about 500-700m from the shore of the mainland in the lake Tyrifjorden. Many young boys and girls, either healthy or shot jumped into the water and started swimming as they were shot at. Some made it, some didnt. .

Hej Ola

Just terrible what has happened in Norway. I just can't understand how a person can be that cold and calculated. I just read in our Swedish newspaper that the guy might get out after just 14 years in prison, that is unbelievable.

Anyway, my thoughts are with our you neighbors

Mike Cedergren     

Yes Joe, in Oz our worst mass killers are also well isolated and cared for- Julian Knight and Martin Bryant. Bryant's case was very similar to this, and one good thing that resulted was a massive semi-auto gun buy back and ban.

Actually, banning guns made Australia's crime rate climb almost 50% in home invasions. I forget where I read that, but it makes sense if you think about it...

Yes Joe, in Oz our worst mass killers are also well isolated and cared for- Julian Knight and Martin Bryant. Bryant's case was very similar to this, and one good thing that resulted was a massive semi-auto gun buy back and ban.

Actually, banning guns made Australia's crime rate climb almost 50% in home invasions. I forget where I read that, but it makes sense if you think about it...

Perry I'm not sure what you are getting at. I don't think what happened there all that effort was in vain and Oz is a safer place I reckon (any Aussies feel free to agree/disagree, if you can do so in between running street battles..).

I want to say what I am thinking.

Its hard to find words to do so.

This is a drama due to a disturbed mind.

It really has noting to do with weapons and permits to have them.

This guy had several permits , without them he would have done the same.

Generally spoken its more easy to obtain a gun illegally than legally.

Being a marksman myself I know.

My thoughts and prayers are with the victims and their family.

leen

Thank you all for your thoughts and prayers.

I just read that "Children as young as 7-8 years old were killed at #Utøya. They were doing work there, picking up empty bottles."

I am empty. All my energy is gone. Sleeping seems like a cruel denial as if I'm offending anyone still missing their beloved ones.

I want to say what I am thinking.

Its hard to find words to do so.

This is a drama due to a disturbed mind.

It really has noting to do with weapons and permits to have them.

This guy had several permits , without them he would have done the same.

Generally spoken its more easy to obtain a gun illegally than legally.

Being a marksman myself I know.

My thoughts and prayers are with the victims and their family.

leen

Simon, that's all I was getting at. Restrictions don't stop criminals from getting guns. After all, they are criminals and criminals don't care whether they have permits or not...

I'm not totally sure what you were saying either, but oh well, that's a totally different conversation. The bottom line is; almost 100 are dead and many are lost. There's not much that could have been done to stop it...

Thank you, Anders.

I've just been informed that our missing person is now confirmed dead. She was only 17.. She was the cutest blonde teenager you could imagine. An angel. With sparkling eyes and a smile that would make you feel safe.

I hope I can make it to the funeral even though it's a ten hour drive. We'll see. Money isn't growing on trees these days.