de Havilland Comet 4C

guym-p

• 10 months later...

Plugin testing is a bit of a slog, but it's going well.  With 451 custom datarefs, my first test was to check each one against a range of criteria:

• Basic function
  • Failure recognition
  • What happens if the Comet is loaded with engines running?
  • What happens if I save and load a situation?
  • Pause
  • Replay

More detail on that here: http://dh-aircraft.co.uk/news/news.html

Situations and replay are not perfect.  They can not be without either waiting for a future version of X-Plane and the plug-in SDK that allows developers to register custom datarefs with the whole recording mechanism, or without writing one's own complete replay system, which would be reinventing the wheel.

However, none of these tests check for the interactions between one dataref and another, therefore a large part of testing is churning through all the manufacturer's original check lists making sure every thing comes on when it should do: gauge needles spring into life, warning lights glow or extinguish, and systems become live when switches are thrown.

These tests have thrown up some bugs which I am gradually chasing down and stamping on.  I won't pretend that these are ways of catching everything.  I'm sure there are some bugs scuttling undetected until I devise a new trap.  My "master" development model is still X-Plane 9.70 on Mac OSX.  As soon as that's done I shall port it to Windows, check that, then proceed with a wholesale upgrade to X-Plane 10.

This mornings tests included checking interior light levels at various times of day.  This is the cockpit at dawn:

post-3879-0-05593500-1412346897_thumb.jp

Guy.

• Upvote 5