Work in Progress Renders

Yes, a Beech would be nice, but X-Plane is missing of very high quality fighter, so the F-14 would be interesting..

We're in a very nice, smooth "groove" right now with what we have going. If we have time for another side project, it will most likely be the Beech 1900C and D. F-14 will be too much to tackle taking into account what we are doing now with the Boeings. The F-14 has some crazy complex systems. Judging on what's been happening in the last few weeks with the Boeing series, that Beech will take a while. Along with typing up the DC-3 manual, I'm hitting the Boeings pretty hard now with modelling and preparing to provide Lukasz and Theo with all the documentation for systems and flight model info.

I love seeing and hearing about the DC-3. She's looking good and sounds like it's going to be spot on. Nice job! But wait! Seems to me I remember another project you were working on. Started with an "S" I believe.......what was that now.......oh, ya! What ever became of that Saab you were working on? :rolleyes:

Cameron is putting in a lot of coding hours on the Saab. The code has been built up and stripped back a few times making it as efficient and accurate as possible. If you asked me a time frame for when it will be finished, we honestly couldn't tell you. Hopefully, before Christmas.

So what you are saying is that is getting done "right." Before xmas? Thats only 7 weeks away......... ;)

Slainte,

Andy

NZCH - hoping the B1900 is a "D" version......really hoping.....really.......hoping.......

We're HOPING by Christmas. What you have to understand is that the Saab 340 is a very unique aircraft. Powering it up and turning on the avionics switches (there are 3 separate ones that power individual systems) automatically enables the flight director and arms 2 or 3 autopilot modes which also get annunciated on the EADI. I can't remember what they were because I'm saturated in the DC-3 and it's systems. So that has to be coded, even with the Autopilot OFF. Turning the autopilot ON also turns on the Yaw Dampers. But the Yaw Dampers can stay on with the Autopilot turned off. Activating an autopilot mode doesn't always turn it on. It simply arms it. When it's armed, the EADI annunciator for that mode flashes white for 5 seconds then stops. When it activates, it turns Green. An example of this would be the NAV mode. The NAV mode will arm when the button for it is pressed, but unless you are on an intercept course for the radio beacon, it will stay white and you are still in full control of the aicraft. Once on an intercept course, it then changes to Green and locks on to the radio beacon.

This is just a couple of examples of the kind of realism that is getting added. Trust me, there is a LOT more. Never has the term "tip of the iceberg" been more aptly applied.

Believe me, we ALL want this one out as quickly as possible, but we want it done right the first time.

In the mean time, it's me, who is breaking engines, while testing enchanced startup procedure. Battery on, fuel boost pump on, master ignition on, magnetos and primer all set ok, mixture in idle cut-off, everything else looks normal, yet the engine won't cooperate for some obscure reason.

Throttle cracked to the "appropriate" position? Nope. Darn... not enough air for a startup. Once again: battery on, fuel boost pump on...

Ooops! Overprimed :) Once again...

Everything is still in pieces. The 3D mesh is being textured and Lukasz has managed to run tests and refine the radial engine management using just key and joystick button assignments.

In saying that, no one would be able to make sense of what they are seeing in a video anyway. As soon as I get a fully textured cockpit back from Theo, and after I add some of the animations and custom datarefs I get from Lukasz, then we'll see about posting a video. What I have seen so far looks incredible, as far as code and functionality is concerned. Lukasz is very talented...and a little bit crazy for extreme detail. Fortunately, that's a requirement for working with me.

;)

This is an excerpt from an article on douglasdc3.com " So it works like this... move the yoke, 'wait', the aircraft moves, 'wait again' the gauge will show correct position. Now imagine performing a simple 30 degree turn to the right in the real thing? I did! ...Move the yoke toward the right and literally guess the 30 degree mark by feel alone. Then equalize out of the turn by moving the yoke back to the left and finally into a straight position. During this time (equalizing), the aircraft will bank right and a few seconds later, the Attitude Indicator and Turn and Slip (Turn and Bank, T&B, CHW) indicator will show the calculation of your turn and you sit hoping it was actually a 30 degrees bank. If your were good enough and it does show 30 degrees, you will realize that for the last 10-15 seconds, you have been flying straight and level. You can easily end up chasing the needle ...constantly turning, equalizing, watching the gauges react moments later, all with a huge delay effect involved in every step. It can become quite a mess if you do not have 'the feel' or the ability to think ahead at all times. In FS, the gauges always react instantly since there is no delay computed in a gauge when you execute a maneuver. If you use a high null zone, you will get a delay effect in movement of the aircraft but still, the FS gauge will react too quickly compared to the real thing. FS makes it easy in this respect, you do not have to think ahead as much when simming." Ok Lucasz, (or whoever is doing that sort of thing) do you think you can simulate the delay in control and in instrument output? THAT would be amazing!

Edited by Ntr09

Do you think you could fly it? ;) Plane's own inertia, sensitive and breakable engines, sneaky gyrocompass drift, everything has to be set manually and monitored afterwards all the time, and now gyro lag in the basic instruments - forget modern standard six! Now, add some night or clouds - or both - to the mix and the fun starts. I know I could - Bell 206 isn't that bad afterall...

By the way, this gyro lag description seems to be exaggerated and not precise. I've investigated the matter a bit and even the old school gauges are way more accurate. I've also read the whole article, that you've taken this excerpt from, and it raised even more concerns, as to the accuracy of content.

I THINK I could fly it.... But as I say, you're the man! I was just throwing that out there ;). I normally wouldnt question the accuracy of Trev Morson's articles since he IS a DC-3 pilot but, I see where you're coming from and I guess will say it again, You're the man!

• 2 weeks later...

Any news my friends ?

I know that now XP10 Demo is out, everyone is busy but.. I will keep my XP9 copy for a while, due to my weak PC until I got a power beast. I hope that DC-3 will be XP9 compatible. If all went right, it should be released in two-tree weeks ? :)

Cheers,

Valentin.