Work in Progress Renders

screenshot52t.th.png

LEFT engine is unhapppy - unless pilot manages it properly. Don't worry, I won't fail them immediately at the slightest redline crossing, but the redlines (and other less obvious limits, not present in X-Plane, but calculated by Gizmo) do matter and have to be respected. The more you abuse the engine, the less time you have before failure occurs. You could get away for minutes with a slight mismanagement, but a big pull on a wrong lever at the wrong time will tear the engine apart in a matter of seconds. The more power - the more strict the limits become, so if manual says "takeoff power limit: 1 minute", then it would be a good idea to respect that remark! Having said that, the plane is a joy to fly, as long as you fly it by the rules, which will be outlined in the manual :)

Oil shutters are separate devices, that regulate the airflow through oil coolers and work independently of cowl flaps. If you see the oil temperature going over or under the limits and cowl flaps already are full close/open, then it's time to adjust the shutters. 0.5 is a temporary setting, suitable for most "normal" temperature conditions, but you will need to close them on cold winter days. Both cylinder head temperatures and oil temperatures are linked to failures system, so you'd better watch them all closely, from startup to shutdown.

Both engines are modelled separately, which applies to performance overrides and monitoring, failure triggers, oil shutters and some other cool effects and features, that are still under construction (they do work already, but need some fine tuning). Flight model and engine modelling features, that already work and have been checked, are between 95-99% true to the real plane (the difference is only visible in the numbers on specific test flights, you won't notice it during normal flying).

• Upvote 1

Hello Lukasz, very excitting !!

Does the delay are correct ?

I mean, for example, does it take a quite long time ( 8-12 s ) of pressing the starter before the engine fires up, and that the prop turn slowly like the real one, giving a feeling of heavy and high inertia prop, as well as at shutdown ( time between fuel doesn't come anymore to the carburettor and when the prop completely stop ).

In the real life, I've seen several DC-3 that, when they shut down the engine, the prop take about 8-10 second to stop from idle engine RPM.

That gives a good feeling of realism.

Arno 54 spent many times to tweak that on his B-17, and it do the job !

Good luck.

The propellers stop quicker, but there are other characteristics of the propellers, that are correct and give a good feeling of realism.

Startup sequence is a completely different story, as these are radial engines and you won't start them up with just a flip of a switch. For now, the most important features to include, are those directly related to flight model and aircraft performance, including some items, that are used for the entire flight - like the need for proper engine management and gauges which really should be monitored. If time permits, I'd like to include some secondary features, to be used only during certain portions of time spent in the cockpit. That includes looking at the propellers, as they slow down, but this one is at the bottom of the "to do" list. I have some ideas how to make it, the real problem is time required to do so and then to test it against standard and non-standard conditions.

Right now, I'd worry more about not seeing them slowing down, while in the air ;)

Cockpit is just about finished. One more panel on the overhead and then wrap up the cabin and then it's off to Theo while Lukasz finishes the systems. Lukasz just came on board recently after showing me some things he coded with the DC-3 engines. This is not a "Full Throttle and fly" aircraft. If you don't manage the engines properly, they WILL fail. I've broken 5 engines so far.

render87.png

• Upvote 1

I've broken 5 engines so far.

A breakable payware aircraft is a great idea! You could charge people a few dollars if the blow an engine to repair it, or if they total it they could buy it again :lol:

In all seriousness though, I am eagerly looking forward to this release.

Yeah nice feautures to manage engines !

But for visual immersion ,just look at that :

I've count 17 Second to start and when the engine is killed, the prop took 12 Second to stop !!

Start [0.00 - 0.30 ]

Shutdown [ 2.30 - 2.48 ]

Best regards, I really enjoy all your work !

Yes I know that, but in X-Plane it's impossible .. When the starter is pressed, mags are automatically turned to both, it's hard coded, I think there is no way to change that but about shutdown, that's interesting, these Hamilton Props are quite heavy ones, whith plenty of inertia.

I'd say Lukasz will put every aspect of the DC-3 engine systems that anyone possibly could. I believe I'll be able to go through my real DC-3 checklist and be able to use it fully.

Lukasz is a programming mad man. he's asked me "Do you want me to code this?" a few times when it came to specific systems and the flight model and he does it.

Custom radial engine startup is something I'd like to make and - as a sim pilot myself - I'd like to see it being reproduced in a sim. The problem is not how to make it, but how to make it both reasonably close to the real stuff and at the same time practical to perform. How a pilot without TrackIR is going to count 9 blades, with propellers behind his shoulders, while manipulating "3-finger chord" switches in the cockpit with one hand and a wobble fuel pump with the second hand?

Or oil shutters, X-Plane doesn't have them and they are a custom subsystem, with custom controls, which either have to be operated by a mouse in 3D cockpit or by a key/button shortcut. That's 4 buttons: left open, left close, right open, right close. Making them both being controlled at the same time with a single command would make things easier, but less fun - it's a twin engine plane and adjusting them separately adds much to the experience.

Right now I'm wrapping up heart of DC-3: engine simulation and flight performance together, which require adjusting several pieces at the same time. This is the most important part, because the plane has to fly right. Once I'm done with that - and I'm close to this stage - I'll think what else to add ;)

Edited by Lukasz

screenshot20mx.th.jpg

Here I'm returning to my base of operations, after another long day of work on the plane. The smell of oil, fuel fumes and all kinds of metallic sounds made by wrenches touching screws and other parts of the plane were tiring, but I was pleased because I've completed work on the heart of the plane :) Some flight testing is required, to make sure nothing will fall off in a turbulence, but it should be good. Now I can think about adding some extras ;)

One of nice things I've made so far, is automatic mixture control. For as much work as you'll have to do, to keep the engines in a good shape, the mixture adjusts "by itself" - and you have two settings to choose from. Auto-rich is used for high power operations, like takeoff and climb. It gives you the most power and provides enough fuel to keep the engines from overhating, preignition or detonation. Once you got to a cruise level, reduced power and cooled the engines to a cruise value, you can switch to auto-lean. This much leaner setting provides better fuel economy and is easier on the engines in the long run, at a cost of slightly lower airspeed. Of course, using the auto-lean in a combination with high power or a hot engine, sooner or later will cause you much trouble ;) So beware on go-arounds!

To complete the picture, you also have idle cut-off position to stop the engines for any reason and an emergency rich position - should automixture fail. This floods the engines with a maximum amount of fuel, which is very uneconomical and doesn't provide any correction for changing flight conditions (altitude, for example), so you will loose the power and performance. The thinner the air, the bigger the loss.

I've also mentioned cooling the engines to cruise temperature. There is something odd about the cowl flaps, but I'll let you figure it out by yourselves ;)

It's finally off to the "Paint Shop". Theo has started UV mapping and texturing today. I have 1 or 2 more small things to do to the cabin but these are just "visual enhancements" that Theo doesn't need until a little later.

I'll be shooting myself in the foot for saying this, but we're hoping (in fact I'm pretty sure) to get it done and out the door by early December.

We'll post screenshots of a textured cockpit in the coming days/weeks.