Work in Progress Renders

Very nice.

Hopefully a more updated version of the cockpit will also be included, such as the one shown in the Buffalo Airways photos?

Are you kidding me? I'd much rather have the original. ;) DC-3's weren't ment to be modernized.

Very nice.

Hopefully a more updated version of the cockpit will also be included, such as the one shown in the Buffalo Airways photos?

Are you kidding me? I'd much rather have the original. ;) DC-3's weren't ment to be modernized.

Ha, I doubt a DC3-NGX version would ever be possible, the screens would vibrate out of their housings!

Very nice.

Ha, I doubt a DC3-NGX version would ever be possible, the screens would vibrate out of their housings!

Alright, I see the mistake I made, I said updated... 

Blimey, should have said FAA / Transport Canada certified STC approved, upgraded panel or something along those lines.  Really the upgrades aren't all that horrendous, the plane looks the same, flies the same, coughs and sputters, etc...

All it does is add some radios, change a few gauges, etc...

I was definitely not talking about some glass panelled, G1000, manicured modern princess.  Not that there's anything wrong with that.

I haven't ruled out different cockpits.  I have made quite a large database of gauges.  Staying true to the design of a DC-3 cockpit, even a modernized one, is pretty hard.  I have seen a LOT of different panel layouts.  Old AND new.

I'll probably do 1 original and 1 modernized.  I just have to settle on a modernized one.

I haven't ruled out different cockpits.  I have made quite a large database of gauges.  Staying true to the design of a DC-3 cockpit, even a modernized one, is pretty hard.  I have seen a LOT of different panel layouts.  Old AND new.

I'll probably do 1 original and 1 modernized.  I just have to settle on a modernized one.

Sounds good to me!

Very nice.

What do you mean? This cockpit is state-of-the-art! Three artificial horizons! Three!

I am curious about what radio navigation capabilities this panel will have though - my PC is too elderly to make VFR flight any fun (really ugly scenery and short draw distances...)

Probably just an ADF, ILS, and possibly a VOR/DME. At least I hope that's all it'll have. (No GPS!)

Amen. May the Curse of the GNS430 not blight this DC-3!

I've just gone through a stack of old aviation magazines - in one pile they'd have come up to my waist, and I'm 6'3" - removing the interesting articles and recycling the rest. An awful lot of ads for the groundbreaking new GNS430 in the mags since 1990! But I like tuning the radios with little LED readouts, thank you, or with numbers written on plastic dials or tumblers - not rendered on a simulated LCD screen...

What do you mean? This cockpit is state-of-the-art! Three artificial horizons! Three!

Hmmm.  Look again.  It has 1 artificial horizon for the Captain, 1 for the FO.  The instrument in the center of the panel that LOOKS like an artificial horizon is actually NOT an artificial horizon.  Any takers on what you all think it is?  :)

I am curious about what radio navigation capabilities this panel will have though - my PC is too elderly to make VFR flight any fun (really ugly scenery and short draw distances...)

It will have 1 NAV radio and 1 ADF.  It will also have an Autopilot.

Amen. May the Curse of the GNS430 not blight this DC-3!

I've just gone through a stack of old aviation magazines - in one pile they'd have come up to my waist, and I'm 6'3" - removing the interesting articles and recycling the rest. An awful lot of ads for the groundbreaking new GNS430 in the mags since 1990! But I like tuning the radios with little LED readouts, thank you, or with numbers written on plastic dials or tumblers - not rendered on a simulated LCD screen...

As we're probably making a classic version and a modernized version, chances are I will include the dreaded Garmin in the modernized version.  I may even have 3 versions.  Classic with old style radios, modern with radios and GPS, and modern with radios and without GPS.

Hmmm.  Look again.  It has 1 artificial horizon for the Captain, 1 for the FO.  The instrument in the center of the panel that LOOKS like an artificial horizon is actually NOT an artificial horizon.  Any takers on what you all think it is?   :)

My bet would be on it being a bank indicator, as seen in this image.

Hmmm.  Look again.  It has 1 artificial horizon for the Captain, 1 for the FO.  The instrument in the center of the panel that LOOKS like an artificial horizon is actually NOT an artificial horizon.  Any takers on what you all think it is?   ;)

I haven't a clue! Despite my avatar I'm not that aware of instrumentation from before the Boeing 707 era. I was just thinking of the photos I have seen of early blind-flying cockpits, which had a similar-looking artificial horizon and gyro compass centre-stage and with large faces rather like what you've got there. Anyone else able to hazard a guess? Unless it is the ADF...

It will have 1 NAV radio and 1 ADF.  It will also have an Autopilot.
Excellent. (I wish it was possible to get hold of a database of navaids as installed in the 30s/40s/50s, along with charts, so the radiographic scenery matches the aircraft!)
As we're probably making a classic version and a modernized version, chances are I will include the dreaded Garmin in the modernized version.  I may even have 3 versions.  Classic with old style radios, modern with radios and GPS, and modern with radios and without GPS.

Well as long as the radios have separate tuners rather than using the GNS430's tuner, and the GNS430 has a power switch like Tom's Falco, and ideally an optional 'INOP' sticker to place on its screen, you could probably just make the one modern version... :-P

Actually - in all seriousness - 'INOP' labels that are made visible or invisible with hidden clickspots are the future. I read an article about minimum equipment lists earlier today - it seems the flight crew might have 'INOP' labels to put on the broken non-essential equipment as a reminder to themselves and the next crew not to turn on the second air-conditioning pack until maintenance have fixed it. My ambition is to learn to make plugins that model an aircraft's systems in enough detail that it can easily generate plausible failed equipment when an aircraft is loaded in 'flight crew just boarded' condition, thus giving a reason to follow checklists to identify broken stuff, plan the flight around acceptable failures or hand the aircraft back to an amphetamine-driven Maintenance department who can instantly repair some particularly offensive failure if you want a simpler flight. So the 3d cockpit would have a hidden polygon textured with an 'INOP' label over every instrument and switch, which could be made visible when the plugin's in 'place INOP sticker' mode (to prevent the user accidentally placing stickers when trying to press a switch and missing).

That said, a deep level of systems simulation probably doesn't apply to the DC-3, which is fly-by-wire in the mechanical sense!

That small area of the panel is actually an Autopilot Panel.

The instrument on the left is a Directional Gyro on the lower half and a Heading Selector on the top half. 

The instrument on the right side is a bank indicator and Pitch selector.  The knob adjusts the pitch of the aircraft.  Not unlike a vertical speed selector.  There will be no Alt Hold function in THIS variant of OUR DC-3.  So it'll be a very "Hands On" aircraft.