X-Joystick

Ben Russell

• 7 months later...

This project has been frozen.

Why?

Because users want a more complicated solution than I had initially planned for.

X-Joystick, as it exists now, relies on X-Plane to interpret the low-level USB device details. It simply re-maps what X-Plane presents.

To be a true solution to everyones problems, which include complex "multi device" USB chains, I would have to write a significant portion of code to deal with the USB device tree.

I am not familiar with the lower level details of the USB HID system and quite frankly, don't want to be.

While there are ways to work around this "perfect solution" and still come up with useful improvements to how X-Plane is today, I think for most people that really want this plugin any work around would fall short and they would still end up feeling frustrated at the need to remap their devices, even to a lesser degree.

Until such time as I can work through the low level details of USB HID interaction and programming this project will not progress.

As a work around, I would suggest investing in a powered USB hub with enough ports to satisfy your requirements of permanent device connection. Looking at Amazon now I find a significant number of 7 port USB hubs that are cheaper than I had planned to offer the plugin.

Thanks for your interest, apologies for the disappointment.

• Downvote 2

Thank you for the reply and explanation Indi.  Yes, I am disappointed, but I do understand the problem.  It amazes me that Austin has not dealt with this after such a long period of time, and all of the requests for this over the years.

"As a work around, I would suggest investing in a powered USB hub with enough ports to satisfy your requirements of permanent device connection. Looking at Amazon now I find a significant number of 7 port USB hubs that are cheaper than I had planned to offer the plugin."  This is exactly what I and many others have been doing... but it does not help with multiple configurations.

I understand Indi-, though I was looking forward to your original idea of having the option to configure my joystick buttons (and realism sliders) for different aircraft before people started discussing force feedback. Good luck with your other projects!

Cheers,

Bob

Hi Indi- -

First: Thanks for the update on this!

X-Joystick, as it exists now, relies on X-Plane to interpret the low-level USB device details. It simply re-maps what X-Plane presents.

To be a true solution to everyones problems, which include complex "multi device" USB chains, I would have to write a significant portion of code to deal with the USB device tree.

I am not familiar with the lower level details of the USB HID system and quite frankly, don't want to be.

While there are ways to work around this "perfect solution" and still come up with useful improvements to how X-Plane is today, I think for most people that really want this plugin any work around would fall short and they would still end up feeling frustrated at the need to remap their devices, even to a lesser degree.

Until such time as I can work through the low level details of USB HID interaction and programming this project will not progress.

From purely the curiosity of a developer: Which portions?

From my point of view (Not knowing your requirements/desires/etc, nor knowing the X-Plane plugin SDK/whatnot): The goal is to uniquely identify a device. (Or uniquely enough) and swap the X-Plane controls from using joy button SAVEDDEV BTN/AXIS to CURRENTDEV BTN/AXIS

- Does X-Plane provide the # of Axes and buttons at start? (My yoke has 5 axes, 16 buttons. Pedals 3 axes, 0 buttons). Wouldn't this be unique enough for the majority of people?

- Linux provides 'lsusb', OS-X provides 'system_profiler' - Both can get USB device names, identifiers, and probably joystick position/ordering (0 1 2 3, etc). This can be a way to get around the low level by using other apps that do the job?

As a work around, I would suggest investing in a powered USB hub with enough ports to satisfy your requirements of permanent device connection. Looking at Amazon now I find a significant number of 7 port USB hubs that are cheaper than I had planned to offer the plugin.

Like I imagine most of the others who desire this functionality have, I have neither a dedicated machine, nor the space near enough to the computer to put the yoke+pedals+flight switch panel (Thanks, Sandy!) when not in use - It's the closet for them when it's not flight time. Other devices and joysticks swapping in and out all the time, etc. But I do feel stupid, now: I think I'll buy a USB hub dedicated to the yoke+pedals+usb, and store it on the shelf with them plugged in - That should ensure identical ordering as long as I disconnect other joys first.