IXEG and Skymaxx Pro 4.9.2 don't play well together - CTD always!

Georg L

Hi

I have now spent a couple of hours trying to figure out why X-Plane crashes after about 10 minutes of running. You don’t really need to do much, just start the systems up and soon it crashes to Desktop. I have taken off all Plugins from the folder except Gizmo and IXEG does not crash. I put back SilverLining + Real Weather Connector and the crash happens. I really doubt it’s a memory issue because I’ve flown 100 hours with no crash on Hot Start TBM900 with all Plugins running. I have 1080TI 11GB GFX card and 64GB DDR4. However, on the Skymaxx forum the developer replied and said it could well be a memory issue. Still I wonder why it only occurs with IXEG and no other planes... 

Thanks!

Hi Speedbird1229,

it is really not possible for us to tell what is going wrong on your system - at the least we would need to see some of the diagnostic files - like the Log.txt from your X-Plane folder and the GizmoLog.txt.

I think that the IXEG and SkyMaxxPro run well together, as otherwise we would have heard a lot more about it. Chances are that they are either interfering with another add-on you are running, or that you are running an older version...or maybe have upgraded to 11.50beta?

Cheers, Jan

Thanks for the reply, Litjan! I just ran some further tests and now it was able to stay running with SkyMaxx nicely for a long while, free GPU memory was around 6 GB and free RAM was all the time 45GB or more. However, I switched the EHSI to PLAN mode, increased distance to Max and boom, a CTD instantly. I think it might have something to do with the FMC perhaps instead? Here are the fresh log files:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/rzzueffy0c5r3lc/GizmoLog.txt?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/g69ykqrnnhquyxr/Log.txt?dl=0

These last lines in the Log.txt seem interesting however...

SkyMaxx Pro: Cloud conditions changed. Current target visibility is 28968.191406
G64:1579.306: Memory Allocation Error: Run(gfx): OnDraw_Gauges_3D: not enough memory
G64:1579.312: Memory Allocation Error: Run(gfx): vortex_test: not enough memory
G64:1579.315: Memory Allocation Error: Run(gui): toast_Windows_OnDraw: not enough memory

How can a memory issue occur if I just had like 48 GB free RAM?

14 minutes ago, speedbird1229 said:

G64:1579.306: Memory Allocation Error: Run(gfx): OnDraw_Gauges_3D: not enough memory
G64:1579.312: Memory Allocation Error: Run(gfx): vortex_test: not enough memory
G64:1579.315: Memory Allocation Error: Run(gui): toast_Windows_OnDraw: not enough memory

How can a memory issue occur if I just had like 48 GB free RAM?

These messages are from the Lua sub-system which is limited to around 2gb of shared memory between all Lua plugins you have intalled. (SASL, FWL, etc.)

The new beta version of Gizmo includes better debug data for diagnosing how much of this pool is in use by Gizmo and "all other" plugins using this shared pool.

Sadly, there is no standardised way to determine exactly how much each of the plugins is using out of the shared pool.

57 minutes ago, Ben Russell said:

These messages are from the Lua sub-system which is limited to around 2gb of shared memory between all Lua plugins you have intalled. (SASL, FWL, etc.)

The new beta version of Gizmo includes better debug data for diagnosing how much of this pool is in use by Gizmo and "all other" plugins using this shared pool.

Sadly, there is no standardised way to determine exactly how much each of the plugins is using out of the shared pool.

Thanks for the help. This clarifies the case somewhat. Since I currently only tested with Skymaxx and IXEG activated, it seems like I need to dump Skymaxx to fly it... is there no better solution this time?

I have to say again that we have not heard of any incompatibilities like this before. I would assume that there are many people running Skymaxx and the IXEG. So there may be something more specific to your case than simply those two "not being compatible"...

Cheers, Jan

3 hours ago, Ben Russell said:

I see... I will try to investigate as much as I can. So sad that I can't be sure in having a stable IXEG plane to plan flights with. I guess I'll also try Xplane graphics settings on a little bit lower level and I'd like to try the Gizmo beta for debugging memory if that's possible. I couldn't find the Gizmo beta online, can anyone direct me maybe?

Here is the latest BETA for gizmo - I run it and it works great (more smooth on  the framerate).

However - make a backup of your old folder, first, then overwrite it with the new beta.

Two things:

1.) You will have to "copy and paste" your email for authorization, the new beta does not recognize the @ key sometimes.

2.) You will have to edit manually:

X-Plane/output/preferences/gizmo_prefs.txt

Find (or create) this:

{
 name="AutoLicenseUpdate_Always",
 value=false,
}, 

Make sure the value is false. 

Otherwise it will run in an endless loop asking you to update your license.

Cheers, Jan

Edited by Litjan

3 hours ago, speedbird1229 said:

Thanks for the help. This clarifies the case somewhat. Since I currently only tested with Skymaxx and IXEG activated, it seems like I need to dump Skymaxx to fly it... is there no better solution this time?

SkyMaxx does not utilize Lua, so what you're stating isn't really the case.

Anything you have that uses SASL, FlyWithLua, etc is also included in that 2GB pool. But, that's only in regards to LUA, which doesn't mean X-Plane itself is limited to 2GB for the entire sim. That said, I suppose if your LUA allotment really is being eaten up, then you could potentially hit a CTD.

Fore instance, quick glance shows you do have SASL in the pool:

[FIELDNOISE_WELCOMETOPRIPYAT INFO]: Starting X-Plane SASL plugin v3.1.2+d19f937
[FIELDNOISE_WELCOMETOPRIPYAT INFO]: FieldNoise_WelcomeToPripyat | Global | StartFull
Loaded: Custom Scenery/Skyline Simulations KLGB Long Beach/plugins/SASLFree/64/win.xpl (1-sim.com FieldNoise_WelcomeToPripyat #4).

Have you tried with a fresh demo install of X-Plane and Gizmo64/IXEG only installed for good measure?

• Like 1