Tested and certain - SkyMaxx Pro V4.9.2 is crashing IXEG 737

Georg L

Hi

I have now spent a couple of hours trying to figure out why X-Plane crashes after about 10 minutes of running. You don’t really need to do much, just start the systems up and soon it crashes to Desktop. I have taken off all Plugins from the folder except Gizmo and IXEG does not crash. I put back SilverLining + Real Weather Connector and the crash happens. I really doubt it’s a memory issue because I’ve flown 100 hours with no crash on Hot Start TBM900 with all Plugins running. I have 1080TI 11GB GFX card and 64GB DDR4.

I’d really like to use SkyMaxx with IXEG and please tell me you have an idea what could be causing this :)

It's probably not what you want to hear, but it's probably a memory issue. Try reducing the cloud area setting in SkyMaxx Pro and see if that helps, and/or reducing your anti-aliasing setting in X-Plane's graphics settings. If you're using the 11.50 beta of X-Plane, keep in mind its memory management is still in a beta state.

Might be a good idea to cross-post this in the IXEG forum as well; if there is some issue specific to this aircraft they're more likely to know about it there.

Edited by sundog

1 hour ago, speedbird1229 said:

Thanks for your reply. I will check it out. No idea why I've never had it happen before, only with IXEG. Is it the best to monitor RAM usage before the crash through Skymaxx dashboard?

The first thing I'd do is look at your log.txt, and see if it indicates any clear cause for the crash at the end of it.

But yes, the SMP config screen should give you a good picture of both system RAM and video RAM usage.

Hi again!

I did some more testing and this time I was able to run it with SkyMaxx for quite a while until the crash happened. I changed weather a few times etc. I had like 6GB of GFX memory and 45-48GB of RAM available at all times before the crash. Here are the logs:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/rzzueffy0c5r3lc/GizmoLog.txt?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/g69ykqrnnhquyxr/Log.txt?dl=0

These last lines in the Log.txt seem interesting however...

SkyMaxx Pro: Cloud conditions changed. Current target visibility is 28968.191406
G64:1579.306: Memory Allocation Error: Run(gfx): OnDraw_Gauges_3D: not enough memory
G64:1579.312: Memory Allocation Error: Run(gfx): vortex_test: not enough memory
G64:1579.315: Memory Allocation Error: Run(gui): toast_Windows_OnDraw: not enough memory

How can a memory issue occur if I just had like 48 GB free RAM?

Those memory messages aren't coming from us; I think it's diagnostic info being logged by X-Plane itself. It believe it is referring to video memory, not system memory. When you are flying with Vulkan, X-Plane has a complex memory management system of its own, and apparently it believes it is running out of resources. 

It's possible it really is running out of video memory (in which case lowering your anti-aliasing setting is probably the best thing you can do,) or it may be a bug in X-Plane's memory management. Either way, you should file this as a bug with Laminar, and be sure to send them any crash reports that X-Plane may ask to send.

• 3 months later...

I am having this same issue and tracked it to SMP being the culprit.  I am using XP 11.41, SMP 4.6.2, and IXEG 737 1.33.    It's odd.  I am monitoring my vram and system memory (through the SMP Config screen as well as system monitor) and I can watch the system memory clock off until X-Plane crashes.  It only happens with the IXEG 737 and only when the engines are running.  Not sure if that helps any.  I would be happy to supply a log, but there aren't any messages showing that there was an error anywhere ... it just stops. 

Some other observations:  I have swapped aircraft and I can see it reclaim memory, but when I switch back to the 737 it starts to tick down again.

Happy to supply logs or perform any other testing ... will continue to troubleshoot on my own as well.

Currenty have 32gb system ram and dual 11gb GeForce GTX 1080 Ti graphics cards.  The vram doesnt exceed 50% and remains stable throughout.  It appears to be issues with the system RAM but that doesn't fall below 18gb avail when xplane crashes.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

I think I found solution. I had same issue you experienced.

I physically remove  directory Silverlining from the Plugin directory and start xplane.

Everything look like working without crash, tried couple of flights each 2 hours long and it was smooth.

Then when I don't use anymore Ixeg 737 I put again the directory Silverlining back to Plugin directory.

The bad thing is that you loose SkyMaxxPro but at least you can enjoy 737classic.

Hope is gonna work for you.

Cheers.

Xavier.

Edited by xavierPilot

• 1 month later...

This sounds like more of a problem with the plane itself and whatever script the plane runs.  Perhaps having SkyMaxx replace the default cloud engine is triggering the problem, but I doubt that it can be fixed on the SkyMaxx side of things.  That plane's creator would likely need to fix their script so that it doesn't leak memory like that when SkyMaxx is active.  What's probably happening is that the script is checking something to do with the default cloud engine repeatedly and when that gets disabled when SkyMaxx activates it ends up in some sort of infinite loop which leaks memory over time.  As a programmer I can tell you that's the most likely scenario, especially since it's only affecting that one plane.

Edited by rawdmon