[SOLVED] Custom FMC / Framerates / CPU usage / custom keystrokes buttons

Dear CRJ Team,

hm - now I had time to look a bit closer to this plane - I was really waiting for this and the custom FMC. Earlier I had some discussions with Cameron about using the UFMC in this plane. he mentioned UFMC would be unnecessary cause the CRJ200 will have its own custom FMC.

- Now we have it and as far as I see this CRJ200 FMC has: no TO speed calculation, no fuel calculation, no Vapp / Vref calculation, no TOD calculation, no Vnav calculation and no guiding or advise, and the holdings are only left or right no headings and no holding time - did I forget something?

I have to say I do not know the real one - but it should have what I mentioned above. It is much better as the default this for sure. Maybe the CRJ Team is working on this and they just wanted to release the plane cause the community was waiting so badly - but it is not the plane which was promised - not yet.

- There are other things I like very much - most is that you reached the goal of good framerates. I am really surprised what is possible if the cores of my machine are working. normally I have in XP only 2 full, 2 half and 4 cores sleeping - now they all are working. This is great!!

- Altough there are good framerates I have little very rythmically shuttering - I had something similar when testing the KLN90B the plugin was scanning all the time the huge database which is located in the xp mainfolder like the crj database - and this scanning resulted in shuttering even with high framerates.

- The aligning of the autopilot has to be done the plane is really struggeling to catch the red line with high speed.

- For this new pricing level I think we may ask for fully working features - at minimum so deep as other authors build their addons.

- some manipulators are very hardly to move - this can better.

- we need custom keystrokes / joystickbuttons for manipulating a lot of things example HSI source / map resolution / map I better stopp it here maybe we should make a list in another topic.

Time will show...anyway it is a big effort to build such a plane and I say thanks to this team it is a very good start.

Kind Regards Tom

- Altough there are good framerates I have little very rythmically shuttering - I had something similar when testing the KLN90B the plugin was scanning all the time the huge database which is located in the xp mainfolder like the crj database - and this scanning resulted in shuttering even with high framerates.

Phillip,

This sound exactly like my problem.

Kind regards,

Kamil

Hi Tobs,

first things first - using UFMC with CRJ will cause problems. Crashing at best, totally unpredictable A/P behavior at worst.

I can imagine why you want some of the capabilities of UFMC. But we are actually correct with the Rockwell Collins FMS-4200 pilots guide: the FMS of the older series simply CAN NOT calculate T/O speeds, Vref or Vapp speed.

You are right that it must be able to do correct holding entries, I agree with you on that. It bugs me as much as it bugs you, so I will enhance the FMS in this point.

But I will do it based on the documentation I have, and if Rockwell Collins says the FMS 4200 doesn't calculate T/O speeds or Vref/Vapp, I will not implement it!

To quote an experienced CRJ pilot from the Work-in-progress forum

Speaking as someone who flies the CRJ for a living, albeit I've less than a years experience in the plane.

It sounds like they have done what ever single airline who operates these little jets does, customize its capabilities according to their needs, wants and SOP.

Regarding VNAV, its advisory only, the interface is actually inop. on our equipment. Which prohibits the A/P from following any VNAV commands the FMC gives it. We use the cue/symbology for simple route/enroute planning and visual reminders only.

We still plot TOC and TOD the old fashion way, climb decent, crossing restrictions are all hand plotted and requires simple math on the part of the pilot to compute.

So this is it. I can promise you I will enhance the holdings and work on improving the turn anticipation issue (the root cause of the A/P struggling with the red line). But I won't give you stuff the real CRJ, as for my documentation, can't do, and this is a completely automated VNAV descent.

Regarding the manipulators: Javier already wrote something about this. Basically, we are struggling with X-Plane pecularities here.

Regarding assignable custom commands, I will compile a dataref list for cockpit builders and other hardware enthusiasts. Every single switch in the CRJ is tied to a custom dataref, and I will open them for cockpit builders.

However, 99% of the users out there are flying with joystick and mouse, so mouse manipulation is what we care about. Custom commands for hardware with a gazillion switches is less important to the average user, so it is a lower priority on my list. Expect me re-visiting this topic only AFTER I sorted out the bugs in the pinned list.

Cheers,

Philipp

I have something to add. Pleaaaaaaase forget your other planes you fly. You maybe think the plane is not complete because you compare it with the x737. But this is not an 737, 767, 777, airbus, or whatever other full autopilot aircraft. This hasn't autothrottle and for that only vnav advisories.

The most similar aircraft to this one is the atr-500.

So please before complaining about what do you thought the plane systems should be, enjoy how they are. I ensure they are more fun! Those complains can make people think we did the work badly or half of it.

About what was promised. Nothing was promised, but all before buying the plane can know what system are simulated JUST READING thee free manuals. Of course we pretend to increase the number of them on future updates. Pretend! (Not all can be controlled)

Thanks!

Hi Tobs,

first things first - using UFMC with CRJ will cause problems. Crashing at best, totally unpredictable A/P behavior at worst.

I can imagine why you want some of the capabilities of UFMC. But we are actually correct with the Rockwell Collins FMS-4200 pilots guide: the FMS of the older series simply CAN NOT calculate T/O speeds, Vref or Vapp speed.

You are right that it must be able to do correct holding entries, I agree with you on that. It bugs me as much as it bugs you, so I will enhance the FMS in this point.

But I will do it based on the documentation I have, and if Rockwell Collins says the FMS 4200 doesn't calculate T/O speeds or Vref/Vapp, I will not implement it!

--- This is a good point - indeed

Speaking as someone who flies the CRJ for a living, albeit I've less than a years experience in the plane.

It sounds like they have done what ever single airline who operates these little jets does, customize its capabilities according to their needs, wants and SOP.

Regarding VNAV, its advisory only, the interface is actually inop. on our equipment. Which prohibits the A/P from following any VNAV commands the FMC gives it. We use the cue/symbology for simple route/enroute planning and visual reminders only.

We still plot TOC and TOD the old fashion way, climb decent, crossing restrictions are all hand plotted and requires simple math on the part of the pilot to compute.

So this is it. I can promise you I will enhance the holdings and work on improving the turn anticipation issue (the root cause of the A/P struggling with the red line). But I won't give you stuff the real CRJ, as for my documentation, can't do, and this is a completely automated VNAV descent.

--- no of course not - if there is no then not - as I said I do not know the ral one...

Regarding the manipulators: Javier already wrote something about this. Basically, we are struggling with X-Plane pecularities here.

Regarding assignable custom commands, I will compile a dataref list for cockpit builders and other hardware enthusiasts. Every single switch in the CRJ is tied to a custom dataref, and I will open them for cockpit builders.

However, 99% of the users out there are flying with joystick and mouse, so mouse manipulation is what we care about. Custom commands for hardware with a gazillion switches is less important to the average user, so it is a lower priority on my list. Expect me re-visiting this topic only AFTER I sorted out the bugs in the pinned list.

Cheers,

Philipp

thnx for your anser Regards Tom

I have something to add. Pleaaaaaaase forget your other planes you fly. You maybe think the plane is not complete because you compare it with the x737. But this is not an 737, 767, 777, airbus, or whatever other full autopilot aircraft. This hasn't autothrottle and for that only vnav advisories.

The most similar aircraft to this one is the atr-500.

So please before complaining about what do you thought the plane systems should be, enjoy how they are. I ensure they are more fun! Those complains can make people think we did the work badly or half of it.

About what was promised. Nothing was promised, but all before buying the plane can know what system are simulated JUST READING thee free manuals. Of course we pretend to increase the number of them on future updates. Pretend! (Not all can be controlled)

Thanks!

Do not be angry I pointed something out and told clearly that I am not sure how the real one works - and phillip just told me what the real one is and what he has to do to match the real thing.

And if the real thing has only Vnav advise then the Vnav advise will be ok - some with fuel, thrust TO speeds etc.

Kind Regards Tom

- The aligning of the autopilot has to be done the plane is really struggeling to catch the red line with high speed.

YAY! I'm not alone with this opinion. ;D :D;)

As long as "red line" means the course of the flighpath between two points.

Because my version of the CRJ has white lines between intersections.  ::)

PS: Really don't wanna be in your skin right now. Guess these days you guys have 500% of the stress you had over the last 2,5 years.

Allow me to address these blow by blow (and I'd like to think I'm on good authority to do so - I'm in the middle of getting my CRJ type-rating):

No TO speed calculation

Not done by the real FMS - we use a flip book of Vspeed cards for each weight - If it would please the crowd, I can put those together as a PDF to help people pre-plan.

No fuel calculation

Again, not done by the real one - all you do is enter your dispatched fuel qty in PERF INIT.

No Vapp / Vref calculation

See my first point.

No TOD calculation, no Vnav calculation and no guiding or advise

Advisory VNAV is a carrier option, and the plane is perfectly operable without it. Also, Javier has stated on multiple occasions that it will be added in a future update.

The holdings are only left or right no headings and no holding time.

Javier and Philipp have admitted a shortcoming here and have resolved to address it in a future update.

I'll agree the FMS isn't perfect yet. Indeed compared to the real thing it has a fair ways to go, but you should judge it on its merits compared to other offerings on the X-Plane market and on its faithfulness to the real thing rather than on some wish for it to automate every aspect of the flight - even the real one doesn't do that!

Allow me to address these blow by blow (and I'd like to think I'm on good authority to do so - I'm in the middle of getting my CRJ type-rating):

No TO speed calculation

Not done by the real FMS - we use a flip book of Vspeed cards for each weight - If it would please the crowd, I can put those together as a PDF to help people pre-plan.

No fuel calculation

Again, not done by the real one - all you do is enter your dispatched fuel qty in PERF INIT.

No Vapp / Vref calculation

See my first point.

No TOD calculation, no Vnav calculation and no guiding or advise

Advisory VNAV is a carrier option, and the plane is perfectly operable without it. Also, Javier has stated on multiple occasions that it will be added in a future update.

The holdings are only left or right no headings and no holding time.

Javier and Philipp have admitted a shortcoming here and have resolved to address it in a future update.

I'll agree the FMS isn't perfect yet. Indeed compared to the real thing it has a fair ways to go, but you should judge it on its merits compared to other offerings on the X-Plane market and on its faithfulness to the real thing rather than on some wish for it to automate every aspect of the flight - even the real one doesn't do that!

Brilliant suggestions Dhruv! Please post PDFs, and I'll post to the Blog too. The more real life resources we have, the better. Thanks for your input, it lets us simmers know that things are on par with the reality. I'm sure your training is tough, but you're living our dream, good on you!

Hi Tobs,

Cheers,

Philipp

Hi Phillip I understand your point 100% and I do not mean to put all on custom buttons / keystrokes but some important which  are difficult to manipulate or which have to manipulate while dealing with ATC - and alone in cockpit - as always :-)

I would love to have the following custom buttons / keystrokes as this cannot anymore asigned to the original buttons / keystrokes:

- HSI source NAV1 / NAV2 / FMS

- Map source NAV1 / NAV2 / FMS

- DME source VOR1 VOR2 ADF1 ADF2

- MAP Display

- MAP Range

BTW is it possible to write entries into the scratchpad on the fmc using my keyboard? do not found a hint in the manual.

Regards Tom

BTW is it possible to write entries into the scratchpad on the fmc using my keyboard? do not found a hint in the manual.

Sadly not by using the x-plane key options.

I always used the keyboard to type in my waypoints. Before the release i asked if this was possible, because i had serious doubts about that. Phillipp said yes, back then, via datarefs. I thought those key settings in x-plane are datarefs, but obviously not.

Thus the assigned keys don't work for the CRJ. But since i save a lot of time by being able to use airways now, it's still faster.

Thus the assigned keys don't work for the CRJ. But since i save a lot of time by being able to use airways now, it's still faster.

^^ This.  The ability of the FMS to negotiate airways is probably the single-greatest feature (with regards to navigation) on this aircraft.  That's how we navigate in the real world, rather than endlessly typing in 100s of waypoints!