BN-2 Islander: Releasing Friday!

Coop

TorqueSim is excited to announce that our BN-2 Islander will release this Friday, April 24 @ 4PM EST!

The BN-2 Islander is a light  twin designed in the 1960’s as a regional airliner and utility aircraft, and is still widely flown today. Thanks to its rugged construction and excellent short field performance, this aircraft can be found with operators all over the world. The model simulated is the BN-2B-26, equipped with 2 Lycoming O-540 engines. The plane has an 1800 pound useful load with full tanks and can carry 9 passengers on missions with the shortest of runways. Additionally, a 730 nautical mile maximum range and 140 knot cruising speed give the Islander enormous operational flexibility. This airplane is the perfect addition to any simmer’s hangar!

TS-IS-22APR-1.thumb.jpg.f1ed0f3b1f619c9f8c155f3ca9840e17.jpg

Feature List:

• Highly detailed 3D model
  • Full PBR 4K Texturing
  • Custom Systems, including:
    • Fully custom electrical system, simulating the circuit breakers, buses, generators, and battery
    • Custom fuel manager
    • Custom lighting
  • Custom Avionics, including:
    • KFC225 Autopilot
    • GTX345 Transponder
    • KR87 ADF
    • M800 Chronometer
  • High-fidelity FMOD sound pack, with sounds recorded from the real aircraft
  • Carefully tuned and tested flight model based on real life performance data and input from Islander pilots
  • X-Plane GNS530/GNS430
  • AFM G5 Integration (requires a copy of the AFM G5 plugin)
  • Custom Load Manager
  • Persistent systems (switches return to the state which they were left)
  • Fully custom C++ Plugin using the X-Plane SDK
  • Includes 9 initial liveries, a blank livery, and paint-kit, with many more liveries to come after release! See some of the liveries here
  • Long-term support, as well as additional features and updates planned, including RealityXP Support

TS-IS-22APR-2.thumb.jpg.c1e73d856341a182d7d6ac4d42a4a278.jpg

TS-IS-20APR-1.thumb.jpg.d7a9004c236a729926b6e8734e570390.jpg

TS-IS-20APR-13.thumb.jpg.51c8ec81bebefaa1bc615726a664af7d.jpg

TS-IS-20APR-18.thumb.jpg.0723c775dd7b50c1a2e9d4248f5c6a9b.jpg

3 minutes ago, sdflyer said:

No rain effects?

With the release of Metal/Vulkan, custom effects like this (librain) are no longer compatible and new work arounds will need to be made. At this time Laminar is still heavily developing the API's and doesn't want to give everything up just yet, so there are some sacrifices like this for the time being.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Cameron said:

With the release of Metal/Vulkan, custom effects like this (librain) are no longer compatible and new work arounds will need to be made. At this time Laminar is still heavily developing the API's and doesn't want to give everything up just yet, so there are some sacrifices like this for the time being.

I was under impression that rainlib developer working with LM and will update after 11.50 goes RC, but there is no concrete information :(

1 minute ago, sdflyer said:

I was under impression that rainlib developer working with LM and will update after 11.50 goes RC, but there is no concrete information :(

It's certainly the intention, but things remain to be seen on what can yet be done. We worked directly with Laminar to at least open up some path to OpenGL drawing in Vulkan so we could keep SkyMaxx going, but it did require quite a bit of work to get there on our side too. If it's ultimately possible to do, of course librain will be moved, but for now this is not a current possibility with the current builds on that effect library.

1 minute ago, Coop said:

That was due to the fuel pump being left on, causing a rise in fuel pressure. 

Gotcha! Another question if you don't mind. Those deicing option mentioned in the video. Are there any visual icing and adverse effect like in Hot Start? Or just eye candy?

12 minutes ago, sdflyer said:

Gotcha! Another question if you don't mind. Those deicing option mentioned in the video. Are there any visual icing and adverse effect like in Hot Start? Or just eye candy?

That is something we are looking into for an update post 1.0 release!

Hi guys,

Any chance the video will be uploaded to Youtube? More people would probably buy it on day one if they could see it on video :)

Also, just checked, it's on FS Economy, it's not expensive there and can take 10 people, I foresee that FSE players will be interested in it :>

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, tADEUS73 said:

Any chance the video will be uploaded to Youtube? More people would probably buy it on day one if they could see it on video :)

Unfortunately we partnered up with JonFly at a later portion of the day and the stream was scheduled later than we normally would do to give people time to squeeze it in their schedule. That said, we still had a great turnout on stream. His streams are archived, but only viewable to subscribers of his channel.

We have provided copies to several other streamers, so I'm sure there will be plenty opportunity! I will definitely see if JonFly can make an exception on this video though.

3 hours ago, tADEUS73 said:

Hi guys,

Also, just checked, it's on FS Economy, it's not expensive there and can take 10 people, I foresee that FSE players will be interested in it :>

Hi all,

Grau also did a stream with it and you can see that here: 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, tADEUS73 said:

Thanks guys,

One short question. Does it fully work with Vulkan/11.50?

Yes! While with Beta Versions of X-Plane 11, there will always be some quirks and weirdnesses, we are not seeing anything major in our testing preventing the aircraft to be ran in 11.50 (that is what most of our development team is using)

Very excited for this!! I'll be buying it as soon as it comes out at 4 today. I also plan on painting some liveries for it. I noticed this in the description:

""Includes 9 initial liveries, a blank livery, and paint-kit, with many more liveries to come after release! See some of the liveries here"

Would it be possible to make a list of the liveries currently planned or in the works? I wouldn't want to start a repaint project only for that same livery to be released by the devs.

Going to the x-aviation store page has shown "we've got something special in store for you.... please check back soon" for a few hours. Maybe they're just getting the store ready? Maybe it was supposed to go live at 4 but something went wrong on the back end? 

yes maybe, but the Sign was showing already 2 hours before the 4pmEST time. Hard to imagine that it takes 5 hours to put a new product in the store. 
Maybe there are some last minute changes. Maybe it comes out with REALITY XP GTN 750/650 support right from the start. ;)
I need to be positive ;)