SR22 Development Update 5

Coop

Aerodynamics is one of many reasons why we all love X-Plane. That’s also why, just like with the engine, aerodynamics on the TorqueSim SR22 have been designed to take full advantage of the simulator’s capabilities and get as close as possible to the real world equivalent. Therefore a professional flight model of the SR22 was created by X-Aerodynamics in 2018 – over many months of work using all available resources and documents. It is up to the most recent standards and greatly benefits of the flight model improvements introduced with version 11.41 of the simulator and is ready for 11.50.

TS-SR-30Mar-4.thumb.jpg.a4a72410794f6ed6734406a968f4cf2d.jpg

Key features

• Highly accurate cruise speeds and rates of climb
  • Precise matching of stall speeds and glide ratio
  • Correct take-off and landing distances
  • Spot-on shape of the aircraft body to supply the most accurate input for X-Plane´s flight model effects
  • Accurate control surface areas and deflections for realistic turn rates

Special features

A stack of custom airfoils ships with the flight model to resemble the scimitar-shaped propeller as well as the Roncz wing profile introduced with G3 of the SR22 which has some interesting characteristics:

TS-SR-30Mar-8.thumb.jpg.be8a94d62c7aa96ff1388b5d8e68a38b.jpg

Cuffed Wing Design

This term refers to the non-continuous leading edge with its characteristic droop on about the outboard half. Thus the outboard section features a lower angle of incidence than the inboard section and is still flying while the inboard part is already stalled.

TS-SR-30Mar-6.thumb.jpg.77c6871fdcb092899413d7a98112cc58.jpg

Stall Strips

The real wing offers stall strips to complete the cuff effect, and our airfoil polars contain modifications in the places where these are located to accurately account for their effect. Stall strips are small attachments mounted at the leading edge located on the wing´s root, triangular in shape. At high angles of attack, they trip the laminar boundary layer at a location where stall is most favorable to onset, causing earlier flow separation and consequently a sooner stall than on the outer wing portions.

TS-SR-30Mar-5.thumb.jpg.2d282fb4a3a76e5a41ce3a3344813166.jpg

Together with the cuffed wing design, the SR22 wing is engineered to stall from inboard to outboard, allowing for maximum roll control and spin prevention way into the stall.

• Like 2

All sounds lovely. But lets remember something via lessons learned from other sim planes....

...while exact numbers are very nice...they often don't do the actual "behavior" much justice. What I mean is that the way a plane feels or reacts is very important (especially on the edges of it's performance i.e takeoffs,approach/landing/flares near stall speeds, etc.). What often happens is that a developer will get the numbers pretty close but the behavior will not be correct, or vice versa...usually in a sim it's a balancing act and near impossible to get both (correct numbers AND behavior/feel). This is especially an issue when the author/s most often aren't even aware of exact behaviors of a specific aircraft in specific situations and rely solely on opinion.

I'm just curious but, is there any member of the team who actually owns this plane in RL, or who has access to one for flying as part of this project?

Edited by Hangar

I can certainly understand how that process would be intriguing, but as small as the development team is the time is much better spent on development and not creating/editing videos.

Hopefully you'll find the SR22 as entertaining as you desire should you choose to purchase!

5 minutes ago, Hangar said:

Ok to ask which plane the project is based on? Whats the tail number?

If any member of the team wishes to divulge that they are more than welcome to do so at their own personal discretion. Considering tail numbers link to the FAA registry and can divulge personal information and addresses on an individual, it will not be coming from me. :)

14 hours ago, lupedelupe said:

I am enjoying my new TBM 900 so much I am now eagerly awaiting the SR22. Looks really good in the screenshots. 

Devs, can anyone comment on hardware requirements? Does it compare to the TBM's needs?

Hardware requirements have not been set, but we are trying to make it as light weight as we can, while not sacrificing quality. A significant majority of our systems code is all multithreaded to help those who are CPU limited.

• Like 1

Coop! Hi!! hehe

Any willingness to maybe share some tidbits about the real plane (that the project is based on) to wet my appetite this week?

Any pics...or just info...or funny stories..whatever!

Don't mean to push but...you know...im home alot these days and going stir crazy :-) (as many of us are)

1 hour ago, Hangar said:

Coop! Hi!! hehe

Any willingness to maybe share some tidbits about the real plane (that the project is based on) to wet my appetite this week?

Any pics...or just info...or funny stories..whatever!

Don't mean to push but...you know...im home alot these days and going stir crazy :-) (as many of us are)

We had a discussion about this after your initial request and the individual owner who provided aircraft access to us would like to maintain his privacy. We appreciate his effort in helping us and giving access, but also must respect his wishes to keep he and his aircraft "out of it".

There must be hundreds of photo's on hand for a project like this which would not reveal any private information about an individual. Was hoping maybe for a few of those!

I fail to see what sharing some info or stories or even a few project photo's need to have anything to do with divulging personal information about anyone...but I'll digress here as I get the feeling that perhaps none of it exists in the first place and I'm likely pushing you up against a wall with this which was never my intentions to begin with.

...I'll let it rest. Looking forward to the project nonetheless and don't intend on letting Coop's hard work go unnoticed!

4 minutes ago, Hangar said:

I get the feeling that perhaps none of it exists in the first place and I'm likely pushing you up against a wall with this which was never my intentions to begin with.

That feeling is incorrect.

As I stated, we had an internal discussion about this. That discussion led us to the conclusion I just told you. That's really all there is to say on it.

I wouldn't have a problem telling you if we didn't have something, or we were guessing based on tables, or whatever honest answer I can give. But, the honest answer is as stated. We have an owner co-operating with us who wishes to keep his personal airplane personal in exchange for access, and we are not willing to gamble that relationship in any way in order to please a forum request. At the end of the day, the access and accommodation of such is much more important to us and ultimately this product.

Thanks for respecting that.

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/4/2020 at 5:42 PM, aquince said:

I've really been looking forward to this release.  I recently purchased the Hot Start TBM 900 and was disappointed to discover that it won't work on a networked multi-computer home cockpit.  Will the SR22 support this kind of setup?

We have a tester that runs it with a networked setup. There will be a few steps to get it all working, but it should work, as long as your primary machine is the one which display's the aircraft panels and all hardware runs through that same machine. If all the other machines are purely for external visuals, it should work. 

• Coop unpinned this topic