Clouds above horizon disappearing issue

sundog

Just want to start a separate thread on this issue to keep track of it for @seth and @thomascats1. When the cloud/terrain softness setting in SMP is set to something other than zero, it seems that clouds above the horizon are not being drawn sometimes at high altitudes.

I'm going to start looking into this now. I suspect it's specific to a certain combination of graphics quality and AA settings, so if either of you happen to know what yours is set to that would be helpful. Once I can reproduce this, I have a pretty good idea of what's causing it - but so far I can't get it to happen reliably.

If you have a log.txt it would help me see if it's maybe something related to a specific system configuration.

Edited by sundog

49 minutes ago, sundog said:

Just want to start a separate thread on this issue to keep track of it for @seth and @thomascats1. When the cloud/terrain softness setting in SMP is set to something other than zero, it seems that clouds above the horizon are not being drawn.

I'm going to start looking into this now. I suspect it's specific to a certain combination of graphics quality and AA settings, so if either of you happen to know what yours is set to that would be helpful. Once I can reproduce this, I have a pretty good idea of what's causing it.

01.thumb.jpg.edb40c6d7ca057209ad59a36f0872543.jpg

made a short test flight,didn't have any artifact cloud issue so far. But Clouds especially Tower changing form ( appearing/disappearing) while scrolling  above horizon  with cloud/terrain default setting

Thanks - I think that's a separate thing. Been flying all morning here and I just can't make the original issue happen. If you do encounter it, please note any details you can (where you were, what altitude it happened at, graphics settings, log.txt)

I'm hoping I accidentally fixed this in 4.9.1.

Edited by sundog

Here are my settings:

The cloud softness setting was 500 but occurred on any other than 0 .

Tested both on heaviest ORBX scenery and on a default one.

Don't have the log unfortunately. 

uMIs0ru.jpg

pDa6rcN.jpg

Also yet to test it on 4.9.1 . Will update.

Also Used:

ASXP

Real Weather Connector

Edited by thomascats1

Just scrolling while being on the ground of LGAV  artifact issue is back. only solution for now is to set O to cloud/terrain softness.

same result with Active Sky or FSGRW.

I had also some flickering horizon artifacts   during a route ( dont know if this has to do with SMP) . check attached video

i send you also log.txt + graphic settings which are not standard as i am trying to find the best spot for my rig ( 8700k /1080ti gtx + 32gram)

Cessna_172SP_G1000---2020-04-05-5.46.jpg

Cessna_172SP_G1000---2020-04-05-5.46_v2.jpg

03.jpg

Log.txt

Edited by seth

23 minutes ago, sundog said:

Thanks for your help; I think I managed to track this down and implement a fix for it. Stay tuned for 4.9.2.

we thank you for your great and fast support , Skymaxx was the only visual weather addon that worked with X-plane 11.50

Some extra issues that i had during some flights:

-On Every change you make on Skymaxx rendering settings, Cumulus textures return on Fast ( i think that was fixed on 11.41)

-Had some micro-stutters during some middle-heavy cloud conditions  ( never had on 11.41 ). Re-checked with Default X-Plane clouds and everything was smooth so it was clear SMP issue.

-Looks like Cloud area covered hits more fps on vulkan. On 11.41 i had 60.000 sq.km with less fps drop. Possibly needs better optimization which is normal as Vulcan is still in Beta.

best

Seth

I think I saw something in your log about the SMP config file being horked. You might want to delete your settings.dat from the SilverLining plugin folder to clear that up; it may be behind the cumulus setting not "sticking." Tested it here and it seems to work OK.

Performance issues won't have a quick fix, so I'm going to push to get the fixes we have out in 4.9.2. There was also a bug with lens flare in Vulkan that this will clear up.

19 minutes ago, sundog said:

I think I saw something in your log about the SMP config file being horked. You might want to delete your settings.dat from the SilverLining plugin folder to clear that up; it may be behind the cumulus setting not "sticking." Tested it here and it seems to work OK.

Performance issues won't have a quick fix, so I'm going to push to get the fixes we have out in 4.9.2. There was also a bug with lens flare in Vulkan that this will clear up.

Ok thanks!