Tbm900 Overpowered on takeoff roll?

Hangar

I tried searching but didn't notice anything related to my own observation regarding what seems to be an excessive amount of acceleration at around a 90 torque setting during the takeoff roll (near sea level). This is with half fuel.

I count 8-10 seconds from throttle application to 85kts indicated...it feels alot like accelerating in a jet. If I use only 60 on the torque then the time to 85kts seems more reasonable as compared to what I'm seeing on YT videos (which is typically 14-15 seconds until reaching 85kts).

So I was curious...was this one of those balancing acts where if you make it accel slower on ground it effects the other speeds on altitude, and you're hands were sort of "tied"? In other words, is this something that can be tweaked, or is it one of those choices we just need to live with so that we don't compromise more important aspects of flight?

Thanks for any insight into this.

LOVE the plane by the way, just a fabulous work of art all around. Thank you ALL for working so hard on this and bringing it to the community!

PS - bring back some more torque effects on takeoff roll, please! (or as an option for those of us who want it).

The speed is obviously dependant on several factors.  Cold air temps will increase engine efficiency over warm or hot air.  Higher altitudes will increase take off run over lower altitudes. Not to mention weight and fuel.  It could also be the pilot controlling the distance it takes to get the aircraft off the ground.  Some pilots may choose to do a slower take off roll by not fireballing the throttle.  
I understand you are comparing YouTube videos of the take off roll, but you have to keep in mind this is a single engine GA aircraft made up of composite materials with a PT-6 engine jammed into it.  

Rest assured, we had one of the owners of Foreflight, who owns the aircraft we used as a reference,  work very closely with us on the flight model, and he provided us with constant feedback on all areas of the flight envelope...down to the time it takes to stop the aircraft vs aircraft weight.  Based on his input, we're confident we pretty much nailed it.  

As for the take off torque, we may look into it some time in the future.

• Upvote 1

Thanks, Goran for the prompt reply...yes I should know better by now than to judge solely from YT videos.

Just FYI I did some further testing this morning and as far as takeoff distance is concerned (which btw I was shocked at by reading in the performance section of manual!...I mean wow, only 875ft ground roll at ISA,100% torque, 5512lbs TOW)

...anyway she performed by the numbers for me as I began lifting off the ground in under 1,000ft...and clearing 50ft obstacle within 1,500 ft. Very accurate as you mentioned.

As for the torque, I may try to experiment a bit with the engine cant and rudder incidence to see if I can get the torque effect a little more pronounced.