Ouch

span2k

Hi all. 

Spent a while flying the cessna 172, as you do, and moved onto the Aerobask Robin. After watching many steveo1kinevo vids i had to move onto the tbm, the 900 as was in store.  I want to say this aircraft has been put together so so well,  i want to say too well lol. As im new to the aircraft im following the tutorials, but why oh why, as im checking things properly, i look up to see flames.

There aint much of a noob friendly vibe going on here. I would like to keep the amount of airframes i have of this model down, but sooo many flames... just seems a bit too quick to punish a delay in the next checklist item. So, any tips for a noob who really wants to get this aircraft off the ground would be appreciated. Also i have engine start, throttle control and taxi tutorials. There arent anymore than that ie take off? cruise?, or am i missing them? Anyways, off to toast another bird i guess. Thanx for any help, and  yea fire extinguishers are handy i know i know...

• 1 month later...

If I understand the essence of your question, @span2k, once you get underway  --  as in getting up into the air after take-off while doing your best to follow the procedures mentioned in various tutorials  --  you look up to see flames streaming from your engine... Is that close?

I suspect you have a 'too-much-thrust-for-too-long' problem. What I mean is this:  after you've completed your take-off checklist, have ATC permission to actually take-off, taxi onto the runway and are ready to go, you advance your throttle to take-off power. Your aircraft begins to accelerate. You eventually rotate, retract the gear and begin your climb out.

Once in your climb, though, it's wise to watch the movement of your engine gauges very closely [So, how do I know? Uh... read the next paragraph!]. Engines typically are not designed to run at full throttle  --  like a full rpm take-off  --  for a very long time. If you don't throttle back once you're comfortably climbing, you may get a fire  --  the flames, you've mentioned. I thought there would be something like that referenced in the manual. Hmmm...

Anyway, I'm only presuming this to be your problem because... well... because it's nearly identical to a situation I had in an Aerobask DA-62 right after purchasing it. I was going for a 'gee-I-wonder-how-fast-this'll-fly' flight, my throttles pegged at full rpm, when suddenly, while cruising along at 8,500 feet and just watching the scenery slip by  --  yep, you guessed it  --  flames and smoke began flowing out of the number #1 engine, followed soon afterwards by a failure of engine #2. Watching the replay, I realized that had I been monitoring the engine instruments, I would've realized something wasn't right. It was an ugly approach and landing, but I walked away from it unscathed and... oh... just a wee bit wiser for the experience [like real life, I suppose]. I did learn a valuable lesson, though... No full throttle runs and always monitor those engine instruments!

I hope this helps a little... And a piece of advice? Don't give up on the TBM. Everything I've read about it is overwhelmingly positive. Yeah, there's a decent-sized learning curve; yet, the effort put forth to master the systems will undoubtedly be rewarding in the long run. It'll more than likely be my next purchase, too, and I'm really looking forward to that...

Good luck  --  and safe travels!