Few basic questions

itchy2

Hi all,

I bought the LES on the last sale and I'm very happy with the plane. Reason for buying it was, that the Airbus becomes boring sometimes.

It's my first turboprob on X-Plane. The last experiences were long long time ago in FSX.

A few questions occured after the first flights. Maybe you can help me:

1. I tried to assign the parking break to a joystick key but I wasn't able to find it in the assignment list. How is the name of the parking break? Toggle Breaks max is not working. 
  2. Any recommendations for a very good tutorial flight on youtube? I'm not looking for a 30 minutes hop. I want some explanations in the video. But there are many different variants of usage and I don't know what is right or wrong.
  3. Is there a way to change the outside air preassure for the altimeters from "in" to "hPa"?
  4. Still haven't understood the "max" function of the condition levers? What happens if I move the cond. levers full forward?
  5. How do I handle the thrust and cond. levers on climb, in flight, descent? is everything adjusted via the thrust levers? I don't think so. When to move which lever?

Looking forward for your response.

KR

Itchy2

Hi,

Welcome to saab land..
Can help answer a couple of those questions.

3 - Not implemented, you can set hPa on the FO side and then copy the resulting in setting to the others

4 - Max is the equivalent of pushing the prop control fully in on a Cessna prop. Gives you 1396 RPM which is the red line for the propeller rpm. 
Pushing a condition lever fully forward beyond max is a position called torque motor lockout, also referred to as T/M. Its effectively a microswitch at the top of the range that will trigger the digital engine controls to be disconnected, it will also vent fuel so you don't leave it there. If power was fluctuating you would reduce power on the engine, push the condition lever up to the top then reset it back to max. If it stops fluctuating then you can restore power and continue, but will no longer have ctot or autocoarsen available. I don't actually know if its modeled or not.

5 - Normally the condition lever will be max for takeoff and landing. Setting climb power the RPM gets reduced to 1200-1300 and left there until on final. Realistically power is adjusted through the flight with just the thrust. 

Hi N1K,

thanks for your feedback.

Today I did another round, enjoying this wonderful plane and testing your tips.

I noticed some "strange" behaviours.

1. When I turn off the Autopilot the alarm / info sound rings all the time (it repeats after a few secons). Pressing the master caution or warning button is not changing anything (and it's  not flashing before).

2. I tried to fly VOR with a course but the autopilot is only following heading or GPS (even if I changed the selector knob to VOR).

3. In the menu (Charts.pdf) on page 52 (all engines service ceiling): I would interpret it as follows: with 27.000 lb weigt I can reach FL 310 having temp. of -20 °C, is that correct? I'm asking because it was "hard" to climb at FL230 with 25000 lb weight. I think I'm reading the table "wrong". Can you support.

KR

Itchy2

Autopilot double tap the disconnect button on the yoke. Most aircraft autopilots are like that, first disconnects it, second shuts it up.
Go Around buttons are the same, second press will silence any warnings from it. 

VOR it should track if you engage NAV, as long as its selected - bottom left of nav display should say VOR1 or LOC1 not LRN1 (aka GPS).

Page 52 is the absolute service ceiling, what its saying is at 27,000 lb, 31,001 ft with a temperature 20 degrees below standard atmosphere (which equates to around -70*C / -94*F) the aircraft will no longer be capable of maintaining controlled flight. For a turboprop the engines have nothing left it can't go any faster, the angle of attack required to generate sufficient lift is equal to the stalling angle. For a jet its the point that you go any slower it stalls, you go any faster and the airflow over the wings suffers a supersonic flow separation, and it stalls.  
Typically the saab is happiest in the 15,000-20,000 ft bracket. On a cold day she will go to F250 and technically that's as high as she is certified to go courtesy of emergency oxygen supply certification standards.

A few pages down you have the OEI service ceiling. that one it should theoretically get there.... eventually. Even then it's only guaranteeing a climb rate of 50ft / min. Personally i suspect you will run out of fuel first, that last 500ft will take 10 minutes to climb. If you have a look at page 118, climb data with the grear down. But the point is, climbing above F250 the performance goes off a cliff, starts taking 20 mins to climb 2,000ft under some circumstances.

Edited by N1K