G1000 Designate Altitude for VNAV

JC_YYZ

So, I want to start by saying that most likely I am doing this wrong. I have consulted a lot of YouTube videos, manuals and forums, and I can't seem to find a solution.

I input my route:
Dep. Apt. > DEP > waypoints > Arv. Apt. > Arrival (if applicable) > Approach

Once I have all of this input, I move to the arrival because I want to designate an altitude on the waypoint before the IAF. I know the altitude needs to be cyan (as opposed to white) and when I highlight it and hit ENT, the cursor just moves to the next line (usually the IAF which is below) and nothing is entered in the VNAV profile window. This happens every time. No matter the route. I always have to add the same waypoint above the white title line the signifies the approach, and then add the altitude and without fail, I can designate that altitude and it gives me my TOD and all the VNAV goodies I need.

Am I (most likely) doing something wrong? Or am I asking the system to do something it isn't designed to do?

Thanks in advance.

4 hours ago, skiselkov said:

I'm thinking you might need to scroll the little FMS knob to make the altitude turn blue on the pre-programmed waypoint, then hit ENT. I believe it's a quirk in the Laminar G1000. Nothing we can do about it, unfortunately.

I have tried that. I even scroll it to change the altitude by 100 feet in either direction, I hit ENT and it jumps to the next line while leaving the VNAV profile empty. And every YT video I have watched, the pilot simply hits ENT and it populates the window. This only occurs for me inside the approach legs. 

I have included a quick clip to show what I mean. https://youtu.be/ZYQggNX-VaU

Doesn't a small blue font indicate a designated altitude that complies with the published restriction.  So this may just be the correct behaviour as the current chart does appear have DUPUR at 3000'.

Also with the Laminar G1000 at least you may find it won't calculate a VNAV for a fix in a procedure unless the leg in the procedure is active.  You could try adding the fix with an altitude constraint outside of the procedure (in your normal flight plan) to make sure you're on the path or at the correct altitude when you active that leg in the procedure.  

Kind regards BT

Edited by boredtechie

2 hours ago, boredtechie said:

Also with the Laminar G1000 at least you may find it won't calculate a VNAV for a fix in a procedure unless the leg in the procedure is active.  You could try adding the fix with an altitude constraint outside of the procedure (in your normal flight plan) to make sure you're on the path or at the correct altitude when you active that leg in the procedure.  

Kind regards BT

This might be where I am getting hung up. Instead of using proper piloting skills, I was essentially relying on the VNAV to take me right to BOD without using any constraints in between. I will alter my flying accordingly and stop being lazy! LOL :P