CompletelyLawless

Throttle and Prop levers not movable

OK, so I'm a total newbie so this is likely my fault ...

Using X-Plane 11.36 and MU-2 1.9. I have a Thurstmaster T. Flight HOTAS X, but that is unplugged for this scenario. Just using a keyboard and mouse at the moment.

I cannot seem to move either the throttle or prop levers at all. I have tried both using the mouse and keyboard and while both show as clickable, neither will move. I can move all the switches and knobs including flaps, but cannot seem to move these levers. I have followed the checklist and even tried moving them sideways thinking maybe the were stuck in a detent, but still no luck.

Am I doing something wrong? Is there a trick here? At some point I'd like to get them mapped to the HOTAS but understand the beta issue associated with the range of motion there.

Would love to get this thing in the air so hopefully someone can tell me the simple mistake I'm making?! TIA.

Edited by CompletelyLawless

Quick question.   you mentioned that the thrustmaster is unplugged....did you unplug it before starting X-Plane?  Or unplug it after starting X-Plane.  I'm guessing the former and that you've probably tried it a few times without the Thrustmaster joystick?

First thing we'll need to determine is if the Gizmo / Lua scripts are running at all.  If they are running and only the throttles and prop levers are acting up, that would definitely be odd.  Some levers and buttons are 'default' and do not use custom coding and so would work when the throttles wouldn't.

So lets start with this one question, I'll keep an eye on the forums here for quick responses and hopefully we can get you fixed up.

-tkyler

Edited by tkyler

Great, thanks for the support. This whole PC build was just for the MU-2 as I plan on flying one in the real world!

I unplugged the Thrustmaster before starting X-Plane and just tried that again. Without a joystick plugged moving the mouse vertically moves the yoke and laterally moves the rudder pedals, as I'm sure is expected. Every other button/switch that is clickable can be moved and moving the flaps are not a problem either.

Not sure how to confirm the Gizmo/Lua scripts but I do see the Gozmo64 plug-in menu.

Great, thanks for the support. This whole PC build was just for the MU-2 as I plan on flying one in the real world!

Good thing there's a new and more advanced one coming then!  

So best way to confirm the gizmo scripts are running is if the props are turning (via external view).  The prop animation is custom controlled by the scripts and would just be "locked in place" if gizmo isn't running.  If it IS running and the levers don't work....then we'll need to look at the x-plane joystick mapping next just to be darn sure....and after that, we may be in for some debugging.  Can't say we've dealt with this one much, if at all.  Thanks for your patience and inputs.

-tkyler

Edited by tkyler

What do you mean "new and more advanced one coming"? A new release of the MU-2 module?

I'm guessing not running since the props are not spinning. I just tried "reboot scripts" on the developer menu, no change.

Even when I set the air start & run/crank/stop switches and press the engine start button. I see some dials move and hear movement but the props don't move. In VR when I click on the prop or throttle levers I do see the virtual axis to move them along. I am using both VR and a monitor while testing this.

Lastly, I did see that there's an X-Plane update when I just started up. I declined it but will perform it if you suggest.

What do you mean "new and more advanced one coming"? A new release of the MU-2 module?

See this link:  check out pages 2-4.

OK..so if the props aren't spinning, the gizmo scripts are not running for some reason and we need to figure out why.  That's generally 'back end' technology and I'll need to consult with both X-Aviation and the Gizmo developer for some thoughts on this and get back to you asap.   Please be patient with us Michael...these guys I work with are indeed committed, but our spouses generally have some demands for our weekend time as we do have habits of working constantly.  I'll put out some feelers just the same just now and we'll seek to get you answers asap.

--tom kyler

Understood. And I'm happy to be patient when I'm engaged with support. I was just starting to get a bit concerned since this forum is not exactly active and I wasn't getting any response over two weeks time. But we're moving along now so thanks for getting back to me. I'll me glad to PM you my contact info if that's better.

Is there anything I should do on my end? Should I wipe Windows and reinstall or try another install of X-Plane in a VM? Any other good experiments? I'm guessing the scripts are setup during the install process or on X-Plane startup?

I'll update to the latest version now if you're good with that and a reboot - who knows, fixes half of all problems!

Thx Michael,

Lets start with the GizmoLog.txt file, found in the root X-Plane folder.  Fire up XP from scratch, doesn't matter if hardware is connected or not,  load the MU2, verify the throttles/props not working, then shut down X-Plane and grab and post the GizmoLog.txt file here.

-TomK

Done. Here you go Tom.

After X-Plane was installed, I did move the folder from my desktop to C:\Program Files (x86)\X-Plane 11. Not sure if Moved it before or after the MU-2 install, but I think it was before. Just wanted to mention it in case the relative path mattered.

Towards the end of the GozmoLog it does say "debug:   90.130: X-Aviation Licensing: Empty license file." Does that matter? Peviously in the file it says "debug:   89.837: X-Aviation Licensing: License is valid."

GizmoLog.txt

That's good debug info.  I'll ping the XA guys...haven't seen this one myself yet.  Report back asap.

-TomK

Interestingly, when I start a new flight and have the "Start with engines running" checkbox checked, XP loads and I head the engines running for a brief second then spool down which I can see on the RPM gauge. I restarted XP and hit Shift+1 really quickly to switch to external view and I did see the props turning and then slow to a stop, so they do turn for a few seconds. I'm guessing they stop becasue the prop levers are in the EMERG STOP detent? 

Anyway, seemed important in a previous post as to whether or not they were animated so just wanted to share that with you. I'm beginning to wonder if some sort of licensing issue is getting in the way here? But I'll give it some time and let the pros decide.

Also, I did go ahead an update to XP 11.40 and still same behavior. Attached is the installer log from the update if that helps with any system/hardware info.

X-Plane Installer Log.txt

Edited by CompletelyLawless

5 hours ago, CompletelyLawless said:

After X-Plane was installed, I did move the folder from my desktop to C:\Program Files (x86)\X-Plane 11

Major red flag right here. NEVER put X-Plane into the Program Files folder! The Desktop is where it best lives.

Looks like your license was updated, so after that you'll want to reopen the aircraft with engines running.

Do you mean my XP11 license or my MU-2 license?

I think my MU-2 license gets updated every time I open a flight, no? That popup window is there all the time and I have been completing it every time I start a flight just to be on the safe side since I've been having issues.

Anyway, I launched the program again and still can't move the throttles or prop levers. With the "engines running" checkbox checked, the plane starts with them running but they shut right down by the time everything loads.

I think Tom thinks it's a scripting issue and is reaching out to their support but willing to test any ideas at this point ... so thanks for the tips.

image.png.8d07dc524dfbc6eef1bf850e86105628.png

image.png