Take off roll ground handling

Good afternoon.   Thank you for such a terrific airplane.   I keep having flashbacks to the many hours I spent with the Dream Fleet 737-400 many moons ago. 

I have a question please.  I find the plane to be very jittery on take off roll, and very reactive to any slope in the runway where the plane acts more like a roller coaster cart than a hundred thousand pound aircraft.  Even with a lot of positive nose-down pressure on the yoke during the take-off run. It is almost like it is skating on the surface, not nicely planted on the big mains and the nose wheel and highly susceptible to even the lightest breeze.  I might expect that from a light aircraft in high wind conditions but not a plane putting 50 tons on six wheels.  I do not have this problem with the JSim 727 and am wondering if there is an adjustment I can make in any of the user settings either for XPlane overall or the plane itself. 

Many thanks. 

Colin Ware

Denver

Hi Colin,

thanks for the nice words!

I am not sure exactly which part of the ground handling is giving you problems, is it the directional control or do you feel the airplane is not staying on the runway enough when you cross ridgelines?

We override the directional control of X-Plane with our own plugin - this was absolutely necessary when we first released this aircraft, because X-Plane´s default ground physics were deficient back then. There have been many advances to this in the meantime, and we will review the need for our overriding with the next update.

For now you may want to experiment with your control response curve of the rudder (you have hardware rudder pedals, right?) in the X-Plane settings, if you find the response too twitchy.

The "heaviness" of the aircraft is goverened by X-Plane´s physics but it feels pretty realistic to me - and I have flown the 737 irl for 10 years. Sometimes X-Plane´s runways are a bit "wild", especially with airports that have just recently been added and the terrain on them hasn´t been smoothed out during a scenery recut (next one will be for XP12).

Cheers, Jan