TBM900 and Live Traffic Plugin CTD

bachardie

It looks like we've narrowed this down to how it has something to do with the way it reads traffic on the TCAS.  The TCAS only reads what's out there, so, in theory, this looks like it's an issue with LiveTraffic.  We'll look into it on our end, but can you also report this to the LiveTraffic guys, also, and see what they come up with..if anything?

Thanks for your quick reply. Yeah is definetely to do with the TCAS. The way LT works you have to enable some AI aircraft in XP so you can see the LT traffic in your TCAS, in other words you can still see the 3D models of LT Traffic but you wouldn't see them in the TCAS unless you have some AI aircraft enabled. The CTD of the TBM only happens when AI aircraft are enabled, so I can still run the LT plugin and get the traffic with no problem with the TBM. I can always pretend that TCAS is broken and I can't afford a replacement :-). If LT is not present I can have AI traffic enabled which is displayed on the TCAS without any bother.

I'm reporting this to the LT guys right away, but it still puzzles me why this CTD only happens with the TBM.

54 minutes ago, bachardie said:

The way LT works you have to enable some AI aircraft in XP so you can see the LT traffic in your TCAS, in other words you can still see the 3D models of LT Traffic but you wouldn't see them in the TCAS unless you have some AI aircraft enabled

That's only partially true. 

As Live Traffic planes are injected into xplane just like online traffic eg on Vatsim, the TBM's TCAS does display them just fine without a need to enable some xplane AI planes. 

You only need to enable some xplane AI aircraft if you want Live Traffic planes to show up on your MFD map too. 

Sorry but this is not my case. As you can see in the attached pic, plenty of traffic on the tarmac, nothing displayed on the TCAS. If I enable xplane AI planes, they immediately pop in the TCAS. This happens with all aircraft I use (Aerobask DA62, Zibo 738, Aerobask Eclipse 500, the default C172 G1000, etc.).

I use the Bluebell CSL package.

TBM900 - 2019-09-05 19.51.36.jpg

That's not the TCAS page in your picture, that's the MFD map. ;)

Turn the inner FMS knob to get to the TCAS page and you will see. Keep in mind that TCAS is in standby mode while you're still sitting on the tarmac, so turn it on to see ac shown. 

Edited by RobW05

OK, thank you, I stand corrected. To be honest I wasn't aware that the TCAS page existed. So I have to rephrase and say that when AI planes are enabled so they appear on the MFD map of the TBM, they do appear, but after a few minutes I get a CTD as explained in my post in the TBM forum, and that only happens with the TBM. On the other hand, the G1000 doesn't have a TCAS page, so I must enable AI planes to see them somehow, which is not a problem.

A lot of people, me included, have had crashes with xplane AI enabled. The developers are aware it has something to do with AI, it just seems to be really hard to get to the bottom of this problem and the devs say it's unknown if it's a problem with the TBM, xplanes AI or traffic plugins, or even a weird combination of all that. 

Meanwhile I leave xplane AI off and just use the TCAS page to look for traffic injected by Live Traffic plugin. So far it's working for me without crashes. 

• 4 weeks later...

Meanwhile I leave xplane AI off and just use the TCAS page to look for traffic injected by Live Traffic plugin.

I thought that the TCAS needs the AI planes so the LT ones are displayed. 
So you say, if i have enabled LT (not checking TCAS controlled in LT) without AI planes in Xplane, they still show one the Tcas page of the TBM? 

22 hours ago, flieger28 said:

I thought that the TCAS needs the AI planes so the LT ones are displayed. 
So you say, if i have enabled LT (not checking TCAS controlled in LT) without AI planes in Xplane, they still show one the Tcas page of the TBM? 

Correct, the TBM's TCAS doesn't need AI planes set in xplane. But TCAS controlled must be checked. 

• 3 weeks later...

I don't own Traffic Global, but I am interested in it too. My best guess is it won't work, as in the Traffic Global FAQs they state that you need the "xplane TCAS hack" to get it working with third party plugins and aircraft. That means you have to configure up to 19 xplane AI planes in order to see traffic in the TBM and that is what seems to be the cause for many CTDs with the TBM. 

However, Traffic Global also provides Datarefs for the traffic, so theoretically Hotstart could also implement Traffic Global directly. Of course that would mean some effort on Hotstart side. 

• 2 weeks later...