CRJ Training Questions

X-elbert-

Were you involved in the development of JRollon's CRJ-200? If so; under what capacity and what are your impressions of the file?

No, he was not.

He's been actively making comments about his take on the manual here: http://forums.x-pilot.com/index.php?topic=2027.msg19290#msg19290

...and here: http://forums.x-pilot.com/index.php?topic=2027.msg19081#msg19081

Should tell you quite a bit. :)

I really don't know what to think about all the "scratchpad" stuff in the manual, without having the fmc in front of me. It sounds to me, as you are never able to just type something in, but instead you have to got a a "scratchpad" however you access it, and then have always to copy and paste stuff. Just sounds wired and confusing to me.  :-\

The whole auto tuning will be interesting too on VATSIM. Lets see if it will really find the right stations, and if there are none, if he uses UNICOM. Man i really hope you release it this weekend. Although it looks like i won't have that much time.  :'(

I really don't know what to think about all the "scratchpad" stuff in the manual, without having the fmc in front of me. It sounds to me, as you are never able to just type something in, but instead you have to got a a "scratchpad" however you access it, and then have always to copy and paste stuff. Just sounds wired and confusing to me.

Items are entered into the scratchpad by pressing the letters/keys on the FMC itself. There's no copy and pasting here. It works just as if you were interacting with a real FMC.

The whole auto tuning will be interesting too on VATSIM. Lets see if it will really find the right stations, and if there are none, if he uses UNICOM. Man i really hope you release it this weekend. Although it looks like i won't have that much time.  :'(

Auto-tuning on the CRJ FMS is only for navigation stations - the FMS continually updates its position based on DME from ground-based VORs, and therefore NAV auto tune is a required pre-takeoff item to avoid a CHK POS message in flight.

Auto-tuning on the CRJ FMS is only for navigation stations

Exactly. Auto-Tune selects nearby VOR/DME stations for IRS correction. It does not tune VORs in the flightplan or even change COM freqs to different center controllers. Now, that would be an interesting feature in real world... ;)

Philipp

What about holdings?

You can make a holding by using a waypoint and setting the turn to left/right.

Or you perform a holding right where you are.

But what about published holdings? Are those included in the airac/fmc data?

Is there a way to tell the fmc which heading the in-/outbound leg has?

A lot of holdings are designed to have a direct entry, where the leg is right

on course where you fly to the fix that begins the holding. But what if you

fly towards the holding fix with a heading of 100° but the legs should be flown

with 90° in- and 270° outbound? And what about teardrop and parallel entries?

ahhh holdings!! I asked so many times until I have them on the FMS.

Well if you read the documents... (man I have been writting those damm documents for weeks to explain everything), you will see that you can make holdings right now on the place the plane is flying at, and choose a point of the route to make the holding at.

You cannot choose direction, and time of legs, but you can choose left or right.

On STARs it says where you can make the holdings (on paper maps) but not on fms loaded. Only IAF, where is usually where you can make the holdings. So you can program a holding there if you want.

On future I would like to make more than 1minute legs and choose the angle of entry in holds. For now there are only direct entries programmed.

Well if you read the documents... (man I have been writting those damm documents for weeks to explain everything), you will see that you can make holdings right now on the place the plane is flying at, and choose a point of the route to make the holding at.

You cannot choose direction, and time of legs, but you can choose left or right.

I read the manual, thats why this question came into my mind.

You can make a holding by using a waypoint and setting the turn to left/right.

Or you perform a holding right where you are.

That was meant as a fact, not as a question.

So in the end, i will have to enter the holding by hand. Hmm, will be lots of work.

Guess i will fly them by hand then. If you have a look at attachement1, you see

lots of possible holdings (which are used at events) with legs that don't match with

the course you fly to reach.

So this means: while flying towards it, disengage autopilot, prepare the holding,

change heading before reaching the fix (flying small s turn to align) and then re-

engage the a/p so it flies the holding for you. Puuuh, what a workload.

I really think flying it with a watch and by hand will be way less stressful and more

accurate as well.  :-\ Or maybe not more accurate, but the next thing is: what

happens when you engage the a/p to hold over ROKIL after you already passed it.

What will he do then? Ignore the hold? Make wired turns to start the hold over

ROKIL, or just start it with an offset?  ???

It will be interesting to see if the fmc can do the standard ils approach on runway 08L

(attachement2). But i hardly doubt it, since there is not a single, or at least don't

know of one, that can actually do it. They all make just a right turn after MIQ NDB

instead of making the turn to overfly the NDB. And with some pilots flying 320 knots,

this approaches is rarely flown right, and causes lots of go arounds (i'm atc on vastim

up to arrival).

In the end, only lots of testing will show, how good and useful this fmc will be.

edit: pdf link deleted, images included instead

post-546-131369606425_thumb.gif

post-546-131369606439_thumb.gif

when you have the plane you will understand it.. You won't have to enter the holding by hand. Always a direct entry.. BUT the holding won't be the same direction as the papers, only if you are flying that point the same direction of holding.... If you want the same directions then yes.. you have to enter by hand (which i consider not a big deal becuase if you are flying a plane like this is because before flying automatically you can do it manually).

You will understand it when you have the plane....

But if you again ask me if we will have orientation of holdings on future, then I will unswer, that I would like to, and if Philipp has time, then I am sure he will do it. But the reason we are where we are is because I always followed this little phrase: "step by step". If I could imagine how big and complex this project has became, I would never start it alone, like I did.

(...)

But if you again ask me if we will have orientation of holdings on future, then I will unswer, that I would like to, and if Philipp has time, then I am sure he will do it. But the reason we are where we are is because I always followed this little phrase: "step by step". If I could imagine how big and complex this project has became, I would never start it alone, like I did.

In my Opinion you´re doing well. If you do in small steps final destination is short in front of you (just to be a little poetic;) ) Nice coincidence, a few minutes ago we were talking on a german board about projects of these dimensions. Compared to some MSFS Projects, that never came out cause developers were understimating complexity of those projects, you´re close to the real thing. so keep going and get it out, that´s the next step.

• 9 months later...

TWO QUESTIONS:

1) I have been flying the JROLLON CRJ200 for a while now. I have made MANY attempts at understanding the TRIM table that he has made. I have come across this spreadsheet that calculates it for you that was approved by for use by JROLLON.

For example: I have a planned flight from KATL to KIAD (attached is the .pdf file for this flight)

After all is calculated, the LITOW is not within range to be able to make a trim setting. It brings me to a LITOW of 12. This is not possible when trying to find on the provided chart for a MAC%.

This has been a CONTINUOUS problems since I have purchased the CRJ2.

Every flight I conduct, this SAME situation arrises.

I have been assured by Mr. Rollon before that it is because X-Plane does not simulate the COG correctly or something along those lines... but that does not make sense to me because the chart by itself is not working.

So I do not believe it is something wrong with it. I think it is something that i am doing wrong.

I have, before and currently, just used the charts provided with the aircraft file manually and it does the SAME thing.. So that is why i am now posting here... does anyone else have this problem? I believe i am doing something wrong.. but i just don't know what it is.

2) Also, I would like to have a chart that provides the Optimum Flight Level for a given gross weight... an example for what i am looking for is here 6320385774_8a345219b0_b.jpg It is a simple B787 Long Range Cruise Control chart.

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated! :D

This topic is closed.

Please see the two other topics already mentioned about COG for the CRJ-200 in the support forum, which is also where this post (Kyle's) should be placed. The post you have responded to is in a non-support forum and going on one year old.

If I am not mistaken, you already have a post similar (if not the same) also in the support area. Please refrain from double posting.