Auto pilot problems

earlcw

So I've flown this plane a lot up until 11.33 came out at that point the autopilot started having a stability problem so I went off and flew other planes. 11.34 came out problem continued and now 11.35 is out and the problem continues. Figured I should step up and find out what is going on.

My normal procedure before takeoff regarding autopilot is to prep the flight plan in the GN, setup the heading to the runway, set the desired altitude and preset the climb option. Once a few hundred feet up I raise the gear and hold the YD/Auto pilot switches. Let go make sure they catch. Once stable and climbing flip from heading to GPS. At all times during this part COT is active.

Since 11.33 the climb keeps going nose up... and up... and up right to the chevrons. I'll push the nose down. Stability is never achieved. With autopilot the plane is fine.

I did reinstall the latest update when this first happened.

I haven't included a log at this point hoping this is a known bug when x or y is broken.

I have seen it a few times where it randomly drives the trim.
Given you said you're setting the climb mode on the ground, I am wondering if its driving the trim when it shouldn't?
Could be worth a check

Edited by N1K

Good question so I did a test this morning. Fired up the old bird and set up everything as usual the trim sat in the green stable and not doing anything unexpected while on the ground. Upon takeoff when I activated the ap all hell breaks loose. The trim went full down right to the bottom of the display then flipped full up then bounced between full up/down several times a second all while the plane was climbing eventually settling into a full nose up stall and crash.

Tried the same test nothing set before takeoff same results as soon as the ap activates trim bounces like a mad man.

Tried VS instead of climb setting the VS to 1500 ft/m same crazy bounce on ap activation.

Before this problem I had 56 hours of smooth flying out of this plane .

• 4 weeks later...

The AP in this plane is frustrating. Sometimes when I set vertical speed and push VS it resets everything an engages with an insane rate of 3000 m/min, potentially killing everyone. Often nothing at all happens when I hit buttons. I have to enter a new selected height first, click several times and wait until it eventually engages.

I think this is all related to how the programming of this plane is able to read data from the sim, it seems to have severe restrictions. You can still fly the plane without problems of course, but you must learn how to make the AP engage and how not to let it kill you.

7 hours ago, Burning Bridges said:

I think this is all related to how the programming of this plane is able to read data from the sim, it seems to have severe restrictions.

I can assure you there is nothing in the code that is "unable" to read data from the sim.  If you want us to look into this further you need to give us a detailed description of the exact steps we need to take to recreate the problem. Your description is far too vague.

Edited by JGregory

15 hours ago, Burning Bridges said:

Often nothing at all happens when I hit buttons. I have to enter a new selected height first, click several times and wait until it eventually engages.

Are you saying you're at 4,000 ft with 4,000 ft selected and wondering why it won't engage VS?

Edited by N1K

On 8/3/2019 at 4:28 PM, earlcw said:

Good question so I did a test this morning. Fired up the old bird and set up everything as usual the trim sat in the green stable and not doing anything unexpected while on the ground. Upon takeoff when I activated the ap all hell breaks loose. The trim went full down right to the bottom of the display then flipped full up then bounced between full up/down several times a second all while the plane was climbing eventually settling into a full nose up stall and crash.

Tried the same test nothing set before takeoff same results as soon as the ap activates trim bounces like a mad man.

Tried VS instead of climb setting the VS to 1500 ft/m same crazy bounce on ap activation.

Before this problem I had 56 hours of smooth flying out of this plane .

JGregory I think my earlier comments were crystal clear and all I got in response was silence. 

I don't randomly push buttons and I had lots of good hours flying this plane using the autopilot without problem until xp was updated. My assumption at this point is that the creator of this aircraft no longer supports the aircraft. Or something less polite.

If you wish to engage In a healthy discussion about testing the problem or duplicating the problem in other circumstances I'm more than willing to help.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, earlcw said:

JGregory I think my earlier comments were crystal clear and all I got in response was silence.

My response was not directed at you.

I don't randomly push buttons and I had lots of good hours flying this plane using the autopilot without problem until xp was updated. My assumption at this point is that the creator of this aircraft no longer supports the aircraft. Or something less polite.

Since I am one of the developers of the Saab, I can assure you that we are still supporting the aircraft.  All you have to do is browse these forums for proof of that.  We are active here and have let everyone know that an update is in the works.  The autopilot will be tested and adjusted (if necessary) as part of the update.  

If you wish to engage In a healthy discussion about testing the problem or duplicating the problem in other circumstances I'm more than willing to help.

Not sure why you think anything I've said was an "unhealthy" discussion.  I'd be happy to review the EXACT steps (in order) that cause you these problems.  A paragraph full of descriptive text that "generally" describes what is going on and what you are doing is not good enough.  ie. stating that you .... ", set the desired altitude and preset the climb option." is too vague.  What SPECIFIC altitude?  What SPECIFIC climb option?   What SPECIFIC buttons, switches, or dials did you press, and in what order?   What EXACTLY happened after each step?  Stating that "...all hell breaks loose." is not helpful. 

Not everyone is reporting this issue so you need to be precise in your reporting in order to help us determine if there is a problem and where the problem is coming from.

Edited by JGregory
  • Like 1
  • Downvote 1

6 hours ago, JGregory said:

My response was not directed at you.

I'm fully aware you were ignoring me and that's kinda my point.

7 hours ago, JGregory said:

We are active here and have let everyone know that an update is in the works.

Do point out the press release or post or whatever it is you did to tell 'everyone' that an update is in the works. I'm more than willing to apologize when proven wrong. But I must admit I stopped looking on this site after the 4th or 5th of August. 

7 hours ago, JGregory said:

I'd be happy to review the EXACT steps (in order) that cause you these problems.  A paragraph full of descriptive text that "generally" describes what is going on and what you are doing is not good enough.  ie. stating that you .... ", set the desired altitude and preset the climb option." is too vague.  What SPECIFIC altitude?  What SPECIFIC climb option?   What SPECIFIC buttons, switches, or dials did you press, and in what order?   What EXACTLY happened after each step?  Stating that "...all hell breaks loose." is not helpful. 

I'm more than willing to give you those exact steps since you finally today asked for them. Key phrase being finally. Stay tuned I'm sure it will take less than 28 days for me to send that but then maybe after all the constant repeated without working attempts my next attempt will magically work it is X-Plane after all.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, earlcw said:

I'm fully aware you were ignoring me and that's kinda my point.

Just because I did not respond to you does not mean I was ignoring you.  Did you consider that maybe I hadn't read this thread until just yesterday?  The forums are NOT a formal support channel.  Did you contact X-Aviation regarding your problems?

1 hour ago, earlcw said:

Do point out the press release or post or whatever it is you did to tell 'everyone' that an update is in the works. I'm more than willing to apologize when proven wrong. But I must admit I stopped looking on this site after the 4th or 5th of August. 

We have never, and probably never will, make a "press release" about future updates until they are ready for release. However, as I stated above, you can simply browse these forums and find MANY instances where we announced/discussed that an update was being worked on.  So, "everyone" who reads these forums would know that.  It's also a good habit to read and search the forums prior to making a new post to see if you are repeating/duplicating the subject matter.  By doing that you can learn a lot about what is going on with a product.  

I do not need to prove anything to you.  I know we have discussed the update ad nauseam in these forums.  If you are interested in whether or not this is true, and/or you want to make an issue out of it, you can browse the forums and find out for yourself.

2 hours ago, earlcw said:

I'm more than willing to give you those exact steps since you finally today asked for them. Key phrase being finally. Stay tuned I'm sure it will take less than 28 days for me to send that but then maybe after all the constant repeated without working attempts my next attempt will magically work it is X-Plane after all.

I'm sorry you feel slighted but we cannot respond to every post where someone mentions that they might have found a problem but they do not provide enough details. Of course it should take you less less than 28 days to write down the steps to recreate the problem as you have all the details you need to do just that. 

Are you claiming that X-Plane can suddenly just "magically" work?  Really?  Given a set of steps to test, any one version of X-Plane either works or it doesn't.  Software doesn't morph itself into something different all on its own.  

• Downvote 1

18 hours ago, JGregory said:

Just because I did not respond to you does not mean I was ignoring you.  Did you consider that maybe I hadn't read this thread until just yesterday?  The forums are NOT a formal support channel.  Did you contact X-Aviation regarding your problems?

JGregory I did file a ticket on the 1st of August with X-Aviation as a matter of fact that is where I started with this process. I've included their response below.

Cameron S.
  Thu, 08/01/19 3:17 pm  

Hello Charles,

Thanks for writing in!

All technical questions and bug reports related to the Saab 340 should be posted in the Leading Edge Simulation forums located here: http://forums.x-pilot.com/forums/forum/158-saab-340a/

This is the best way to get our developers' attention. They read and log each and every report and if necessary may contact you in private message to further diagnose and test builds on your machine.

Best Regards,
Cameron

It actually appears that they believe this is the formal support channel for on sending me this reply they immediately closed the ticket as 'solved'.

Consider this thread closed for I've uninstalled the aircraft. I certainly wouldn't want to waste anymore of my time engaged in conversation with anyone other than the formal support channel and it is clear you don't want to waste your time doing what mustn't be your job.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, earlcw said:

Consider this thread closed for I've uninstalled the aircraft. 

I will not close the thread as that is not your call to make and other Saab users are involved here.  However, you can be part of the solution or not, that is your call.

1 hour ago, earlcw said:

I certainly wouldn't want to waste anymore of my time engaged in conversation with anyone other than the formal support channel and it is clear you don't want to waste your time doing what mustn't be your job.

Exactly.

Edited by JGregory
  • Like 1
  • Downvote 1

• 3 weeks later...