Typical cruise climb to FL280 or FL310?

GoranR

This question is for more experience TBM'ers. What would normal cruise climb look like in TBM900? I mean at max. this plane climbs like champ, but I am guessing typical cruse climb profile wouldn't be as steep and is probably more fuel efficient to get shallower climb (or maybe not)?

Well I usually climb out 140-160 to 10000ft, thereafter 170 and than finally change to Match 0.4 at around 24000ft to final altitude. In most cases I cruise between FL250 and FL310, depending on upper wind, temperature and route length.

Initial climb speed depends on weight, possible icing conditions, inertial seperator conditions and finally ATC demands. I don't like flying out at 124kts, unless terrain requires to reach obstacle clearance fairly quick. 

You don't aim for a climb rate, you aim for a speed. Final climb speed is typically 160 - 180 KIAS until reaching, say M.400, after which you push SPD on the autopilot panel to switch the system into constant-Mach climb and just maintain M.400 until reaching your cruise altitude.

(Yeah, what @Jakob Ludwig said.  ;) )

Edited by Goran_M
  • Upvote 1