Night Sky with SkyMaxx looks "pixelated"

linkito87

Hi.

I did two screenshots. 1 with SkyMaxx Pro 4 activated and other with it disabled... And the night sky with SkyMaxx Pro activated looks so bad... Anybody can help me?

I have HDR+SSAO, textures at maximum and antialiasing at 4x SSAA.

My PC:
i7 87000
GTX 2070
16GB DDR4

Thanks!

Night With SMP.png

Night Without SMP.png

I believe what you're seeing here (aside from the fact an iPhone captured images of it even brighter than you're seeing it in person, so makes it look even worse) is the result of 32-bit colors being portrayed best they can on a monitor vs thousands or even millions of colors and proper shading in certain scenarios in things like photos or everyday life as a whole.

There's no pixel issues, just harsher gradient shading when less colors are allowed.

From the long history of XP11, those "bands" that are prevalent in the last shots (enhanced to really see them during a full night sky) have always been an issue.  Try a dusk or dawn flight and you really see them, without any need to use an extra camera either.  I believe Cameron is on the right track here.  @Jakob Ludwig also makes a good point that to troubleshoot this, disable any and all plugins that deal with post-processing or modifying sky colors, to see if this issue is still prevalent (on top of the already known issue with sky colors from the base sim by LR).

One tip, and one I am not sure how to fix without the aid of the plugin, is to adjust the raleigh scaling.  I have an old plugin that was once offered for free from Github, that allows the user to adjust that, which can make a difference in how the base colors are rendered.  I sometimes bump that setting up or down to see if I can dial in a more realistic sky.  Also, try bumping the setting you have at HDR+SSAO back down to just HDR and see if that helps too.