iPad friendly webshop please

OlaHaldor

Yes, pretty simply, I'd like to be able to browse the shop on an iPad or iPhone. I was looking at the C152, but would like to see a little more before I made a decision. Now I'm on a hold.

So what's stopping me?

The gallery is based on flash. I don't like it in general on pc or Mac, but when it totally excludes anyone with such devices, I think it's a bad decision.

I recently observed that my own web site isn't iPad friendly, so I'm getting on the train and will work for all features to support the platform.

Why should you spend time making it work on i-devices? Because it matters. They're not going away. At least not for a while.

The gallery is based on flash. I don't like it in general on pc or Mac, but when it totally excludes anyone with such devices, I think it's a bad decision.

While this would be nice and may be looked at in with the future, it is also not a high priority item. Our products do not run on any mobile iOS device, whereas a PC and Mac are different stories (which the website and galleries are compatible with).

Perhaps some day. Not now. :)

I agree with Ola, I do most of my browsing on the iphone/pad, many sites still use flash and I think 'get with the times guys'. I can always check it out on my desktop, IF I remember.

But yeah, the xpilot crew look a little distracted right now. Better give them some radio silence while they land these birds in one piece!

There's multiple reasons Apple aren't adding support for flash, and that's just the way it is. Let's leave the discussion at that.

Flash isn't a "green technology". It eats CPU power like candy, thus needs more power either from the battery or the power supply in your computer.

There are many JavaScript solutions that does exactly the same as that flash gallery.. So it should not be impossible to fix.

Flash has its advantages.  If the browser supports flash, you know exactly how the interface is going to appear to them.  It either shows up exactly as it's designed, or it doesn't show up.  You have a LOT of control over the experience.

Javascript, HTML variants, and CSS don't provide consistency between browsers like Flash does.  Each scripting and rendering engine can interpret the code differently.  It takes a LOT of work to get stuff to look and perform the same across the many different browsers (and their many versions).  It's a mess.  Developers don't expect complex designs to work for everyone... they just hack it enough that it works on the major versions and try to limit the number of visitors they exclude.

How integral Flash is to the site depends on the content of the site.  Artistic sites (the website of a band, for instance) can get away with deploying a website that's entirely Flash-based.  They benefit from the interactive, multimedia driven interface.  An informational website (Wikipedia, for example) should stay away from a site design that depends heavily on Flash, especially for site navigation and other essentials.

So yes, Flash is just as current as other technologies.  DHTML/JS is not a replacement for Flash.  They have different entirely different capabilities and limitations.

Apple is stupid for not trying to bring it to their devices.