VR Yoke

Fan-a-tik

Hello!
I am using the Rift-S in VR and when I latch the Captain control column with the controller level, the control wheel turns about 45 degrees to the right. Tilting the controller left only brings the control wheel back to center regardless of how far I tilt the controller. This behavior is seen both with Realistic and Ergonomic mode. 

All external Yoke/Throttle hardware disconnected. Can't reproduce with other airplanes.

Hard to takeoff as you can imagine :)

Any idea?

Marc

Hi Marc,

we haven´t added genuine VR support to our aircraft yet. Most things work "out of the box", but there is no VR file for it.

My personal rationale about this is that it is not really possible to use an airliner in VR yet (either the resolution is too low to read stuff or the framerate is too low when you run a PIMAX or the like...). Lets give it another year or two for that.

In addition I think that any user serious enough to want to fly a 737 probably has hardware yoke/joystick/rudders. And my personal preference and suggestion is to use those for VR flying, too.

Did you try holding the controller in another way (more centered, or tilted even more to the right) BEFORE grabbing the yoke - so that the "nullpoint" may be in a different orientation?

Cheers, Jan

25 minutes ago, Litjan said:

My personal rationale about this is that it is not really possible to use an airliner in VR yet (either the resolution is too low to read stuff or the framerate is too low when you run a PIMAX or the like...). Lets give it another year or two for that.

Whilst that was true, fairly recently it's becoming more of a reality. I use VR in airliners and I know of a Twitch streamer that does too: 

The fidelity of the headsets is just about there now (i.e. now that we're past gen 1 VIVE and Rift)  and modern systems, with correctly configured X-Plane 11, can achieve decent performance in VR.

Yes, I agree - we are on the brink of VR becoming useable without too many restrictions. I totally believe that it is the future and in a few years the majority of users will fly only in VR.

What is still needed to make the breakthrough, in my opinion:

• affordable headsets, wireless, good FOV, excellent resolution, comfortable to wear for hours
  • CPU´s to fire these headsets at a good FR without significant loss in visual quality (i.e. not pulling all sliders left) - note: Vulcan will not fix that!
  • sensory gloves to be really able to manipulate the virtual cockpit in a realistic fashion

For now it *can* be done, but there are always compromises to make - so many that still most of us prefer to use a screen, especially for airliner flight.

Cheers, Jan

On 6/16/2019 at 12:19 PM, Litjan said:

What is still needed to make the breakthrough, in my opinion:

• affordable headsets, wireless, good FOV, excellent resolution, comfortable to wear for hours
  • CPU´s to fire these headsets at a good FR without significant loss in visual quality (i.e. not pulling all sliders left) - note: Vulcan will not fix that!
  • sensory gloves to be really able to manipulate the virtual cockpit in a realistic fashion

Agreed, and in particular that last one combined with haptic feedback. It's good to see it's being thought about though, as I am intending to purchase the IXEG 737 and I do fly VR, so I am quite interested in this. Thanks for taking the time to respond.