Oil change...

ChefRob

@Goran_M I have a question that's been eating at me lately... It has to do with the maintenance page and the oil. Specifically the oil changing... How is this modeled in the TBM900? In RL life I'v seen numbers as low as every 50 hours of operation and numbers like never you just top it off. 

I know in a commercially used aircraft that records 100's to 1000's of hours the norm seams to be as long as the engine is on the aircraft and not pulled for maintenance it's just topped off when needed. And the assumption behind this is that even though turbines do burn off oil it is at a lower rate and is less destructive than a piston motor but still enough to be sufficient that the oil maintains much of it's integrity. 

The only thing  could find was the  Pratt & Whitney Canada Service Bulletin No. 14001  and it states on page 4 that an oil change is no long a necessity unless it is contaminated by things like transmission fluids, sand and so on.

Is this what is being simulated in the HS TBM model?  

Has HotStart put say an hour rating on the oil to simulate this?

Or and I know in real life color is a little important as well... Is this what we should be looking out for and if so... What and how dark of a color should we be looking for?  

So what are we looking at here in XP... Just wondering.  

Edited by ChefRob

Everything to do with maintenance is done via code.  Saso has gone to great lengths to make sure all wear and tear in the engine is affected several factors.

He's delved quite extensively into the intricacies of engine maintenance.  

Personally, I just let him work his magic.  

If you really want to know...
@skiselkov , feel free to jump in.

4 minutes ago, Goran_M said:

Everything to do with maintenance is done via code.  Saso has gone to great lengths to make sure all wear and tear in the engine is affected several factors.

He's delved quite extensively into the intricacies of engine maintenance.  

Personally, I just let him work his magic.

No... Totally understand that...110% and ya please just keep out of Saso's way and let him keep working his magic. The magic is strong with him and the TBM. Totally feel you there!

I was asking the above because of that... I'm still on the very first airframe I started when I pickup the TBM... Coming up on 200 hours of flight time not including the 20 or so hours that it comes with all ready. I'm using the accelerated maintenance model and outside of a few O2 refills, one or 2 oil top offs, with the last update add GPU costs and I had a fuel pump go bad and I'm around 16k spent. I baby my TBM like I baby my RL C210M. 

I just wanted to know how the oil wear and tear was modeled/code to manifest itself in the TBM modeling because of how Saso coded it. And how closely he modeled it to the P&Wh PT6's needs. Because by what the P&Wh's manual and service bulletins state the you never really need to change the oil in the PT6's. I'm just interested in knowing how deeply and what parameters the wear and tear on the oil is set.

Example... About 5 years ago I had my fuel pump go on my 210... It didn't burn out but a piece sheared itself off inside of the pump itself. Meaning to be safe I needed to have the whole system cleaned out from the pump forward to the engine. So my fuel pump failure was a mechanical one not and electrical type, like say if the pump motor just burned out.

Now the systems in a turbine are setup a little different from a piston engine as a turbines oil system isn't for the motor but for the gears and gearbox as far as I understand their workings. So with knowing that I was asking what the wear and tear modeling is based on and how it is implemented in the TBM. We have both the option of topping off the oil and/or changing the oil. So if I assume that Saso has taken into account that both the RL TBM and RL P&Wh maintenance manuals state barring a failure of the cooling system say introducing cooling fluid (which I don't think it can in XP because it look's like the cooling radiator and fluid are not modeled or we would see them in the maintenance manager) into the oil system or dirt (which could be modeled as we can introduce new oil) has some how gotten in the oil... We really shouldn't have to ever change the oil in the TBM. 

So with this known the question is how is the wear and tear modeled/coded in the TBM... Is it based on hours the oil has on it or is the modeling/coding based on a physical foreign material like dirt or other. 

I ask cause of how deeply systems are coded and I don't want to be flying along and hit 500 hours on the same airframe in a year only to have the gearbox seize up because I hit a magic number that was coded into the wear and tear modeling/coding.