Psychic messages

Gregg Seipp

A couple of questions:

• I've noticed that the warning message for a hot start pops up even before ITT gets up into the red.  Using the timer ITT should be able to go into the lower red zone for 20 seconds and up to 5 seconds into the upper red zone before any damage to the engine.  Is the airplane looking at the speed the needle is rising and guessing that this is going to be a bad start before one happens?  What if we didn't have those messages?  Would the 20 second and 5 second rules work?  (I'd also like to say that I have yet to have Dry Motoring work to get me out of a hot start situation.  Perhaps there's something I need to do that's not in the checklist.)
  • If you didn't have the "brakes are hot" message how would a real TBM pilot know that he had to delay takeoff for 15 minutes to allow the brakes to cool?  There's no CAS message.

Thanks!

17 hours ago, Gregg Seipp said:

A couple of questions:

• I've noticed that the warning message for a hot start pops up even before ITT gets up into the red.  Using the timer ITT should be able to go into the lower red zone for 20 seconds and up to 5 seconds into the upper red zone before any damage to the engine.  Is the airplane looking at the speed the needle is rising and guessing that this is going to be a bad start before one happens?  What if we didn't have those messages?  Would the 20 second and 5 second rules work?  (I'd also like to say that I have yet to have Dry Motoring work to get me out of a hot start situation.  Perhaps there's something I need to do that's not in the checklist.)
  • If you didn't have the "brakes are hot" message how would a real TBM pilot know that he had to delay takeoff for 15 minutes to allow the brakes to cool?  There's no CAS message.

Thanks!

• Not sure about the first one, but I'm guessing Saso coded some kind of EWS (early warning system) for the end user.  In the realm of flight simming, there are very few of us who are actually type rated on a TBM 900, so we've added a few things to help prevent destroying the aircraft or the engine.  No doubt, people who are type rated will have no problems knowing how the real aircraft works, and what could cause it to "break".  For a $4 million aircraft, they'd better.
  • Hot brakes can eventually boil brake fluid, and that causes the brakes to go spongy.  Again, there are probably guidelines on how to tell if the brakes have overheated.  Something like "Do not apply brake pressure for more than 5 seconds" or something to that effect, followed by "Do not operate aircraft for at least 15 minutes after overheating brakes."  (I just modelled the thing, so I'm hazarding a few guesses.  Systems are Saso's domain)

I remember going for my PPL in a Beech C23, and even that was more study than I ever expected.  I can only imagine what getting to know a TBM entails.

7 hours ago, Goran_M said:
  • Not sure about the first one, but I'm guessing Saso coded some kind of EWS (early warning system) for the end user.  In the realm of flight simming, there are very few of us who are actually type rated on a TBM 900, so we've added a few things to help prevent destroying the aircraft or the engine.  No doubt, people who are type rated will have no problems knowing how the real aircraft works, and what could cause it to "break".  For a $4 million aircraft, they'd better.
  • Hot brakes can eventually boil brake fluid, and that causes the brakes to go spongy.  Again, there are probably guidelines on how to tell if the brakes have overheated.  Something like "Do not apply brake pressure for more than 5 seconds" or something to that effect, followed by "Do not operate aircraft for at least 15 minutes after overheating brakes."  (I just modelled the thing, so I'm hazarding a few guesses.  Systems are Saso's domain)

I remember going for my PPL in a Beech C23, and even that was more study than I ever expected.  I can only imagine what getting to know a TBM entails.

So, I guess my question is, is it safe to turn these messages off?  Assuming there's a way to do that.