Misc TBM questions

Skrimps

Hello all,

Just getting started with this excellent airplane. Very impressed with it, but just had a few questions.

TOGO button: I read in the manual the function of this button and understand it is used for taking off/go around. But how exactly do you use it? I think it said for TO you press it and it sets wings level and 10 degree pitch upwards for climb. Do you press it after you leave the runway or set it before? I guess I am a bit confused on when you would actually use it in real life.

Approach speeds. I am looking for the proper approach speed in landing config (full flaps, gear down). I have read 85 KIAS, but wanted to confirm. Also do you hold the speed and throttle until after touch down and then bring it back to flight idle? Or should you pull the throttle back after flare? Interested in the method real pilots use, I want to make sure my approach procedures are correct.

I am sure I will have other questions as I think of them, but so far this is what I have been wondering after my first flight with this aircraft.

• Like 1

You can use the first stage of flaps at 150 knots quite safely and then gear down at 140, at 1000 feet around 120 knots then flaps full, 500 feet 90 knots and hold that down to the threshold where you should be at about 85 as you cross, then at 30 feet then bring power lever to idle. Ideally you should be stalling just as the mains touch at around 75ish, winds permitting.

• Upvote 1

Thank you for the responses. I re-read the manual and think I have a better understanding of the TOGA button now. It says on the ground it activates TO pitch and roll modes (flight director commands wings level and 10 degrees nose up). I assume it means that it activates the FD that you can use as a guide for climb out? 

And thanks Andy for the approach speeds. This helps a lot. I was slowing to full landing config and 85 knots far too soon based on your directions. I will try the new approach procedure soon. 

The TO/GA button also works with the AP. Ive set two buttons on my joystick so I'll hit the TO/GO button then shortly after takeoff I'll engage the AP. The plane's pitch and roll modes come on and the plane continues to climb staight ahead, 10 degrees pitch up. Then I know everything is good to go while I set the AP over to whatever modes, headings and other settings I need. 

On 5/12/2019 at 11:22 PM, Dartofdoom said:

The TO/GA button also works with the AP. Ive set two buttons on my joystick so I'll hit the TO/GO button then shortly after takeoff I'll engage the AP. The plane's pitch and roll modes come on and the plane continues to climb staight ahead, 10 degrees pitch up. Then I know everything is good to go while I set the AP over to whatever modes, headings and other settings I need. 

Ah yes, that makes sense. Thank you.

• 3 weeks later...

I am bumping this thread because I have another question and didn't want to start a whole new topic.

The performance cruise speed of this plane is 330 knots at FL280-FL310. Max speed (or is it Vne?) is 266 KIAS. Since TAS changes to mach number as you climb, I google'd and see that 330 knots is about .495 mach. So if I am max cruise at FL280 to FL310, should I keep the airspeed at mach .495 or is it safer to go faster but not to exceed 266 KIAS? I have gone well over mach .495, but didn't know if this is ok/proper and I don't want to stress the airframe. Curious how this is handled properly.  

Edited by Skrimps

Hello,

To get the appropriate cruise set up, you have to go to the section 5.8 of the POH (TBM official's one) : 

"The torque must be set at or below the value corresponding to the local conditions of flight level and temperature.

NOTE
Inertial separator must be OFF and ”BLEED HI” MSG OFF.

Example : for FL = 260 and OAT = - 22°C, the following tables give the maximum torque to be set.

Maximum climb power :

TRQ = 83 % for IAS = 124 KIAS (Add 0.5 % of TRQ for each additional 10 KIAS on climb airspeed) (cf. tables Figures 5.8.1 and 5.8.1A)

Maximum cruise power :

TRQ = 97 % (cf. tables Figures 5.8.3 and 5.8.3A)

Recommended cruise power :

TRQ = 92 % (cf. tables Figures 5.8.4 and 5.8.4A)"

In short, in cruise, you have to check the Torque Power, not the IAS at high altitude, set the Torque Power around 90-95% (you will have to increase the throttle when you climb, the opposite on descent).

Good flights,

Daniel.

• Like 1

Thanks Daniel. I did read that and found that I couldn't always hit the torque values the POH recommended, but could come close. What I did notice was the torque meter changed, and added a small white "box" if you would that appeared above the green line. I suspect this was a "recommended torque" value within that white section/box. So I kept it at about 84% torque and within that white box area while cruising at .539. I just wanted to be sure I wasn't doing anything wrong and stressing the airframe since .539 is faster than the recommended max cruise speed. However, the indicated air speed was far less than max so I suspect it was OK but always like to be sure. 

Edited by Skrimps

As it is always good to know and understand the math behind everything to do with the performance of the aircraft you are flying. Well... Not good but should be a must. 

I use either this website or app (both iOS and Android) that is built for the real TBM to use in real life flight planning. They are stand alone apps and not connected to XP in anyway. But I have to tell you it's almost 100% spot on every flight I do with the TBM. Feed in all the information like fuel on board, pax weight start and destination airfields and so on and it spits out a lot of numbers. It even gives you current ATIS for both airfields you enter... Even has everyone of the TBM checklists and so on. It's a really hand app to check out. 

• Like 2

18 hours ago, ChefRob said:

As it is always good to know and understand the math behind everything to do with the performance of the aircraft you are flying. Well... Not good but should be a must. 

I use either this website or app (both iOS and Android) that is built for the real TBM to use in real life flight planning. They are stand alone apps and not connected to XP in anyway. But I have to tell you it's almost 100% spot on every flight I do with the TBM. Feed in all the information like fuel on board, pax weight start and destination airfields and so on and it spits out a lot of numbers. It even gives you current ATIS for both airfields you enter... Even has everyone of the TBM checklists and so on. It's a really hand app to check out. 

Thanks for the heads up, I know exactly what you are talking about and use it for every flight. It's very accurate and helpful with planning.

• Like 1