Never change visibile weather

Hello All,

I use SkyMax Pro, RWC, and FSGRW. All work great. I did notice on FSGRW Facebook page a post on 12.15.2018 explaining the "Never change visible weather" option. I am a bit confused though. It sounds like if this option is enabled  and if the sim is restarted the Metar File is not read. I have read through the manuals all make sense but I want to make sure the weather that is pulled in is correct when the sim restarts for another session at a latter date. Should Never change visible weather be disabled prior to start and then enabled in flight? Or do we re select the metar file?>

Thanks looking for for SMP4.8!

Well I am not quite sure about it, actually thinking the same as you. I also feel that it does not read a new injected weather file at a later session correctly, if the sim had been quit before. 

I turn the option off before shutting down the sim and enable it again after the first weather injection. So making sure it works as prompted.

"Never change visible weather" just means that if new METAR data is dropped into the sim after you've started up your flight, it won't affect the weather conditions visible in the immediate area. But as you fly out of the immediate area, the new areas you fly into will reflect the latest weather data available. It's meant to prevent sudden changes in weather, which some people find objectionable. But, other people find it objectionable to not always have the latest weather data represented - so we offer the choice.

Regardless of this setting, we only poll for new weather conditions from FSGRW every 60 seconds, so it may take up to a minute for new weather data to be "seen" by RWC.

But let's say I startup the sim with the option checked on, after quiting the sim some hours ago. Skymaxx and RC will read the weather file, which is some hours old at atartup. FSGRW will inject the latest weather after forcing it to transfer it after the sim has started. Will than RWC change the weather to the current condition in the direct area around me or do I need to fly out the area to see the changes? 

14 hours ago, Jakob Ludwig said:

But let's say I startup the sim with the option checked on, after quiting the sim some hours ago. Skymaxx and RC will read the weather file, which is some hours old at atartup. FSGRW will inject the latest weather after forcing it to transfer it after the sim has started. Will than RWC change the weather to the current condition in the direct area around me or do I need to fly out the area to see the changes? 

Ah, I see. It depends on the timing - if FSGRW drops their new METAR data before RWC starts up, then we'll pick up the new data and display that from the get-go. Otherwise, if you have "never change visible weather" on, you would need to fly out of the area to see changes.

Fiddling with SMP's settings would also force the weather to reload.

Edited by sundog

6 hours ago, sundog said:

Ah, I see. It depends on the timing - if FSGRW drops their new METAR data before RWC starts up, then we'll pick up the new data and display that from the get-go. Otherwise, if you have "never change visible weather" on, you would need to fly out of the area to see changes.

Fiddling with SMP's settings would also force the weather to reload.

OK. Thanks for clearing that up for us...  This should be pointed out in the manual, or if a future update may change RWC's behavior at that point or FSGRWX allows to send the WX data to X-Plane prior launching the sim.

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/8/2019 at 12:58 PM, sundog said:

Is this still current with SMP 4.8? I wonder every flight start if I now get the current real weather from FSGRW or if I'm still flying with the outdated metar as FSGRW can't be connected before the flight has been loaded and I have to connect and inject after that. 

Could you possibly add a new option in the SMP menu (in the X-Plane menu bar) and a key command to force a weather reload? This way FSGRW users (ASXP injects weather before flight start) could reload their weather manually and don't have to use outdated metars. Fiddling around in the real weather options does work but this is not very comfortable. 

It would be even better if FSGRW would allow connection already after the X-Plane main menu has been loaded (ASXP works this way).