A few questions regarding the Saab 340A...

hmmelho

Hello all! I purchased the LES Saab 340A a couple weeks ago and have been having a wonderful time learning to fly it. That being said, it is undoubtedly the most complex aircraft I’ve ever flown, and as such, there are a few systems/procedures that I still don’t fully understand. I’m just going to list my questions below.

• What is the exact procedure for deactivating the CTOT?
  • How does auto-corsen differ from auto-feather?
  • Can reverse thrust be used to pull back from a gate? I can’t seem to get the plane to move this way, so I always do pushback.
  • Is there a difference between using the tiller wheel or the rudders for nose-wheel steering?
  • Is reverse thrust the only way to slow down upon landing?
  • How does one go about calculating the center of gravity for a given flight? I’ve left it on default every time, and it’s been fine, but I can’t seem to find a formula. For example, the default KingAir C90 manual includes a procedure for calculating this value.
  • What are the standard prop settings over each phase of flight?
  • How do you find proper climb/decent power?

As far as the last two questions, I’ve really been winging it with the power and condition lever settings. Would the charts provided with the plane be my best bet as far as finding the correct values? I just can’t ever seem to find the relevant chart, and the amount of information in them is, in general, overwhelming.

I know that’s a lot, but I just have an itch to make sure I am getting the most out of this beautiful aircraft. Any feedback with any of these questions is so appreciated. Thank you all for your help, and happy flying! o7

• Like 1

Lets see how we go ;)

1) Turning it off after takeoff, slowly rotate the setting knob anti-clockwise, then turn off the switch.

2) The auto-coarsen on the A model doesn't actually feather the propeller, just moves it to a minimum drag position. Theoretically if the condition that triggered the auto-coarsen event was to relieve itself, such as a momentary power interruption, the prop will go back to its set position. In order to feather it, the engine failure memory items need to be completed, i.e. power lever flight idle, condition lever fuel off. It's only designed to buy the crew time to deal with it at a safer height, a V1 cut where the prop stays at full fine (max rpm) is lethal if not dealt with immediately.

3) Yes, but safety departments would hunt you down. Always done with the control off a tug, but it is possible providing you don't touch the brakes, the inertia will cause a tail strike.

4) The tiller is connected to the nose wheel, the rudder pedals is connected to just the rudder. Below about 80 kts you won't have enough aerodynamic power from the rudder to turn.

5) You can use brakes, but typically not until reverse has brought the speed below 40kts. So much as breath on the brake pedal above 40 kts with anti-skid inoperative and saab suggests you will blow the main tyres.

6) Don't know, LES version doesn't have that info that I know of, never really looked for it.

7) Max on the ground, take-off and landing, 1230 RPM climb, cruise, descent.

8) Don't know where they are listed in LES stuff, but XP11 engine model was changed not long ago and v1.5.1 has the old XP engine data so half a chance you'll hit temperature limits anyway. Power circa 60-70% Trq / ITT below 850 on the climb/cruise seems to work, Descent, whatever is required to stop the overspeed buzzer annoying the crap out of you....

Edited by N1K
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 2

Thank you so much for your response, N1K!!! It is much appreciated. I'll just bounce back a few more inquiries based on your replies with the corresponding numbers.

1. So I'm assuming that rotating the dials counter-clockwise before fully disengaging CTOT will ensure that your power won't dramatically drop when it switches back to your lever position, yes?

2. So when an engine is inoperative, auto-corsen will not take care of that, and one should still move the relevant condition lever to the beta range to feather it?

4. That's odd because I don't think I've used the tiller wheel once. I've used the rudders to steer every time I taxi, and I'm definitely below 80kts. Don't know why that could be happening.

5. When you refer to brakes, you do mean the parking brake, yes? I just want to make sure there isn't some other brake that I'm not aware of.

6. So weird! I figured it would be important, but like I said, I haven't ever changed it from default and it doesn't seem to have caused any issues that I know of.

Again, I can't tell you how grateful I am for your help. Thanks to wonderful community members like you, I just may be able to feel confident about my ability piloting this aircraft! :D

1. Correct, but it's more to do with the rate of change by just hitting the off switch, rapid drop under the right conditions could cause a compressor stall (engine backfire). Theres also an element of error trapping, if its all the way down to 60% (I think that's lowest) you've clearly not set it. Removes the ambiguity of did I set that or is it where it was for takeoff, I can't remember.. Less of an issue on XP.

2. Yes, It is only shifting the problem up 1,000 ft. Crew still need to deal with it. The last rendition of the Saab it becomes a full on feather, but it has a completely different propellor unit to an A. 

4. They are linked in XP for simplicity, If you are pushing down on the hydraulic tiller clickspot it's effectively using the tiller, but the rudders are the interface. Real aircraft if all you did was push down then use the rudder you'd end up in the dirt. Sorry, I probably could have worded the initial reply better.

5. Toe brakes, reverse is fairly effective unless its super short runway. 1200m / 4000 ft and greater reverse should be capable of doing the majority of the slowing work. It is capable of using toe brakes only from touchdown providing anti-skid is working, just causes more wear (which isn't simulated anyway). 

6. I accept however FSE loads the thing, I don't think the CG actually shifts?

Edited by N1K

@hmmelhoThe toe brakes are part of the rudder pedals for the actual aircraft and hardware computer rudder pedals. Most pedals for your PC, each pedal will rock back and forth, so you push on them with your toes to engage the brakes. If you don't have pedals then you can assign the toggle brakes command to a button on your joystick or keyboard to use the brakes.

On 5/3/2019 at 9:38 AM, hmmelho said:

• How does one go about calculating the center of gravity for a given flight? I’ve left it on default every time, and it’s been fine, but I can’t seem to find a formula. For example, the default KingAir C90 manual includes a procedure for calculating this value.

If you have an iOS device, you may try iGoDispatch for Saab-340A.