Jump to content
moespeeds

VR Implementation, does it work?

Recommended Posts

Hey all, I just purchased this module and spent the last 3 hours messing around with it. I really want to love it, the plane flies and feels great, but in VR it seems useless. I was wondering if anyone else is having similar problems.

-The mouse cursor disappears and I can't get it back. When I pull off the headset and disable VR on the flat screen, I always find that "Use mouse cursor in VR" has been unchecked in settings. If you check it on again and start up the HMD, it just disappears again, and un-checks itself. This makes the module completely useless, as I cannot interact with anything in the cockpit. It's odd because I had a cursor for my entire startup and takeoff, then it peaced out for good at about 12k feet.

 

- The panel screens are so smudged up you can't read them. I'm sure this is a nice effect in 2D, but it kills your ability to read them in VR.

 

-How do I get rid of the tablet on the left, I cannot interact with it in any way, even when I had a mouse cursor.

 

-Thank you very much for emailing me the hotfix for the multi-colored screens, it fixed the problem.

 

If it's not ready for VR, I get it, but it would have been nice to know this before I dropped $45 on it. I'd hate to add it to the AV8 and A-29 that I purchased that are also useless in VR.

 

Moe Colontonio

Cherry Hill, NJ

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi,

The Pocket Rocket does work in VR. Currently, the main issue is a graphical artifact bug resulting from the synthetic vision. While a fix is in the works, we have a version available to anyone who has these issues that PMs me (it just disables synthetic vision).

Regarding mouse cursor, we do not touch the mouse cursor settings in our code. I don't know why that is happening, but we can not reproduce that issue.

Regarding panel screens, the transparency can look odd with some graphical settings. There is the ability to disable this using this file: 

 

The tablet can be disabled from the sidebar menu in the menu. The AviTab tablet is what is configured to display at the tablet, and that addon does work with VR. The setting for show/hide of the tablet is persistent so while that menu needs to be interacted with on the main monitor (not VR), once you set it once it should stay that way for good (Unless, of course, you decide to turn it on). 

 

Hopefully, these fix those issues! I am not sure what is going on with the mouse cursor, but I will look into it to see if I can find a fix.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Cool, thanks! I'll do some more testing later to see if I can figure out how I lost the mouse. I know for sure that on initial startup, I have no mouse cursor, but it eventually appears. I'll make a video showing the issue. Just to be clear, the AVI Tab plugin works fine if I open it separately in VR using the plugin menu, but I was unable to interact the the version included in aircraft in VR. I'll mess with that some more later.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ok so initially when you start X-Plane and get in the aircraft, there is no mouse cursor in VR. After a couple of minutes it will appear. Interacting with the RealityXP GTN 750 in VR will also eventually cause the mouse cursor to disappear, requiring a restart to fix it. 

Videos of the issues here:

Startup: https://youtu.be/6FnQp8qmkZQ

Mouse cursor disappears in VR after interacting with the GTN 750 (changing freq's): https://youtu.be/_EWfTZhgm1I

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, moespeeds said:

Ok so initially when you start X-Plane and get in the aircraft, there is no mouse cursor in VR. After a couple of minutes it will appear. Interacting with the RealityXP GTN 750 in VR will also eventually cause the mouse cursor to disappear, requiring a restart to fix it. 

Videos of the issues here:

Startup: https://youtu.be/6FnQp8qmkZQ

Mouse cursor disappears in VR after interacting with the GTN 750 (changing freq's): https://youtu.be/_EWfTZhgm1I

 

Thanks for those videos - I am not sure why AviTab isn't working in VR - that is what it was designed to do, and we aren't doing anything special on our end except provide the AviTab interface. It is quite odd that the GTN is causing the cursor to occur, that seems like the GTN is the cause of the issue.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No question it's something with the GTN 750. It's a shame because the GTN750 is great for VR, as it's touchscreen, re-sizable, and much easier to operate than the G1000. I've never had a problem with any of the numerous other aircraft I own.

The AVITAB works if I open it in a separate window, I can then interact with the window and it will repeat on the organic AVITAB. It'd be nice to be able to get rid of the one that comes in the aircraft as it's useless in VR.

As for no mouse when you first get into the aircraft, I'm going to time it tonight. I actually made several recordings, and in them all it seems to pop up about 2 mins after I get into the aircraft, no matter what I'm doing.

Edited by moespeeds

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

More testing with the mouse issue tonight. 

I completely removed the GTN750 from my install, and flew for about 2 hours. The mouse still disappears, and I can't figure out what's causing it. There seems to be no rhyme or reason to it. I thought it might be related to the autopilot, but I couldn't duplicate it. It goes away, then some time later just comes back out of nowhere. In my HMD I can see the mouse at the edges of my vision, as if it's floating over something that positioned 1" from my face, it's very close and big, but I cannot use it in VR. On the 2D monitor repeater I can see the cursor, and can interact with the cockpit though the hit boxes are way off to the left of where the cursor shows.

Also had some crazy aileron flutter in autopilot and incorrect airspeed readout on the G1000, which I detailed in another thread.

The only thing I'm running now is Pilot2ATC, and AVITAB, all other plugins were off.

 

Moe

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, moespeeds said:

More testing with the mouse issue tonight. 

I completely removed the GTN750 from my install, and flew for about 2 hours. The mouse still disappears, and I can't figure out what's causing it. There seems to be no rhyme or reason to it. I thought it might be related to the autopilot, but I couldn't duplicate it. It goes away, then some time later just comes back out of nowhere. In my HMD I can see the mouse at the edges of my vision, as if it's floating over something that positioned 1" from my face, it's very close and big, but I cannot use it in VR. On the 2D monitor repeater I can see the cursor, and can interact with the cockpit though the hit boxes are way off to the left of where the cursor shows.

 Also had some crazy aileron flutter in autopilot and incorrect airspeed readout on the G1000, which I detailed in another thread.

The only thing I'm running now is Pilot2ATC, and AVITAB, all other plugins were off.

  

Moe

Interesting - that almost sounds like some other application on your computer is taking the mouse cursor away from X-Plane. I really have no clue of what could be causing that issue, I will continue trying to find a reason behind it, but I still can not replicate the issue.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've got a TON of stuff running in the backround, though I do not have this issue with any other X-Plane A/C, payware or free.

I'm running the following:

Pilot2ATC

Fly with LUA

3jFPS

Voice Attack

Joy2Key

MSI Afterburner

Simshaker for aviators

PiTool

Steam VR

Simtools (motion rig)

System is an i7 7700 OC to 4.8, 1080ti with afterburner auto OC, 32g RAM, Pimax 5K, Prosimu T-1000 3dof motion rig, shakers, 2 panels run by bodnar joystick boards, Virpil T50, TM Warthog, Slaw pedals.

If there is anything you can think of that I can try, I'd appreciate it. Love the plane, but it's unusable if I can't sort this out. In the morning I'll turn everything off and go fly around a bit to see if I can duplicate this.

 

Moe

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ok I found the issue! It's raindrops. If raindrops are ON, I will lose the mouse cursor. If they are off, it comes back and works fine.

The airspeed was because the pitot cover was on, you were right. I didn't even know I had that little side menu, as you can't see or interact with it in VR. 

 

So raindrops are the issue.

Thanks!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Odd, I don't know why rain effects would cause that issue but I will certainly be looking into it - thank you for narrowing it down!

Does it do this with any other aircraft that have librain rain effects (the TBM?)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So to enable rain on the hawk you have to install librain. I looked it over last night, and it seems incredibly complicated. If anyone has a caveman install guide, please send it my way!

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, moespeeds said:

So to enable rain on the hawk you have to install librain. I looked it over last night, and it seems incredibly complicated. If anyone has a caveman install guide, please send it my way!

 

I just took a look at librain repository and it looks like the VR compatible librain hasn't made it to the standalone version. Once a new version comes out, it should be as simple as adding a plugin to the aircraft's plugin folder.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What I suspect is happening with the rain is that it's overlaying the cursor (somehow) when the rain happens to lay between your viewpoint and the mouse cursor. I'll investigate to see if I can somehow coax the thing to work.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We did some more VR testing and I we are unable to replicate the cursor disappearing issue in VR with librain running. Is it the rain obscuring the cursor? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't have librain installed, so could that be the issue? 

Also I'm using pitool/steam vr. 

I would lose the cursor on climb out, often in clouds. I also had no cursor for about 90 seconds when initially entering the aircraft. That has also resolved itself with rain off. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, moespeeds said:

I don't have librain installed, so could that be the issue? 

Also I'm using pitool/steam vr. 

I would lose the cursor on climb out, often in clouds. I also had no cursor for about 90 seconds when initially entering the aircraft. That has also resolved itself with rain off. 

Librain is loaded as part of the aircraft itself, it does not need to be installed (in our plane)

Interesting, thank you for that information.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/12/2019 at 10:11 AM, moespeeds said:

I don't have librain installed, so could that be the issue? 

Also I'm using pitool/steam vr. 

I would lose the cursor on climb out, often in clouds. I also had no cursor for about 90 seconds when initially entering the aircraft. That has also resolved itself with rain off. 

You don't need to run SteamVR in order to run X-plane from PiTool. I have the pimax 5k+ and run X-plane natively from PiTools - much better frame-rates and no hassle. Give it a try!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'll have to take a look. I have X-Plane on Steam, so when I start X-Plane, it starts steam, and I think Steam VR, but I'll check in the morning. Thanks!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×