Dry motoring after hot start

Gregg Seipp

Okay, while I'm waiting for the engine to cool down some more, I've tried doing dry motoring for 30 seconds several times to get a good start.  The temperature has been well below 150 C and I keep getting them.  No luck so far.  I notice my starter shows runtime is 1132 minutes and is "very worn"...it's probably got 2 minutes of run time.  5 attempts...only got it started after I replaced the starter motor.

Gregg

Accelerated wear model is off ?

It does seem to be inaccurate or at least strange.

Fyi, I have 227 mins on the starter (without accelerated wear model enabled ) with a 13h airframe and I'm pretty sure I didn't run it for nearly 4h (!) either.

2 minutes ago, xpst said:

Accelerated wear model is off ?

It does seem to be inaccurate or at least strange.

Fyi, I have 227 mins on the starter (without accelerated wear model enabled ) with a 13h airframe and I'm pretty sure I didn't run it for nearly 4h (!) either.

My airframe was practically new (as my habit of pranging aircraft in crosswind is, apparently, much higher than average :rolleyes:).  I never turned on accelerated wear...don't even know how to...but I'll try to find it.

Gregg

48 minutes ago, RobW05 said:

Just an idea, as it is a starter/generator couldn't it simply be the total time running as a starter AND generator? 

Interesting thought but I'd say the time should be different for those.  Also, I had, perhaps, 5 hours on the airframe, tops...300 minutes?  

2 minutes ago, xpst said:

Yes there's also a separate "Main Generator" item.

Anyway, a starter generator should have a lifetime of many thousands of *hours*.

This is a clear case of abusive programmed obsolescence. Time for a class action ! :)

Oh, I've got a huge pile of virtual dollars for all kinds of equipment.  I just reach in and grab a handful and throw it at the mechanic and he laughs and laughs and laughs...

Really, honestly, if they wanted to make it 'painful' for us to have to replace something, they'd force us to have aircraft downtime while the repair is completed.  

13 minutes ago, ChefRob said:

Considering the starter runs for about 50 seconds for each start... 2 minutes of use would only be 2 starts and some change?

Three at that point...not counting a couple previous starts.  I was working on it while I was typing.  Add a couple more afterward.  Kinda forest for the trees way of looking at it.