Throttle quadrant question

USierra

Hello Pocket Rocket friends

Just a basic question from a turboprop-newbie:

I do not exactly understand the functional difference between the three levers (Throttle, Prop. lever and Condition lever) I know how to set them to taxi, take off and fly, but I would like to know what they really do in fact. I thought, the Throttle lever sets the flow of the fuel (and additionally also the sets the pitch of the propeller (beta/reverse)). But what does the condition lever then do? Also fuel? The prop. lever also sets the pitch of the propeller blades, but why not beta and reverse? Or does each lever do a bit of everything? And by the way: what is the fourth, smaller lever on the right side of the lever quadrant for?

Thanks a lot

Urs

Also a turboprop newbie here ;) And I, too, would enjoy more info on the engine controls.

@USierra A good way to see what those levers are doing is to display some values with the XP data option (prop pitch, prop RPM, fuel flow, etc.). You'll see live exactly what those controls change with the engine and prop.

From what I've gathered and tested: it's kinda complicated but not so much.
The "prop lever" is not a prop lever in the classic sense - it's more like a gear box with a feather function. Test it by displaying both the prop pitch angle and the prop RPM.
The condition lever has basically three main functions: fuel cutoff -> obvious, low idle and high idle are set as specific regimes that changes both the fuel flow and prop RPM (at least that's how I understand it).
The "throttle" should be called a "power lever" - it mainly changes the fuel flow but also alters the prop RPM and pitch angle (especially in the beta range and reverse). Display the prop pitch angle data to check where the lever sits when you actually reach the beta position (zero prop pitch angle).

The "fourth lever" is the inertial separator control. Disengaged when pushed forward (default position) and engaged when pulled in the lower position.
It's usually used during take-off and climb and in icing conditions.
Here's a nice video from Daher about the inertial separator in the TBMs.

Please "anyone knowledgeable about turboprops and the PR", do correct me if I'm wrong, and offer us more info ;).
I'd be more than happy to know more about those specific controls in the Pocket Rocket.

Edited by Bourrinopathe
  • Like 1

@Bourrinopathe Has a great summary there, it essentially boils down to this:

• Throttle (left lever) determines the power output of the engine in the normal range (not reverse or beta, then there are different control laws). 
  • Fuel control essentially determines minimum fuel flows (Fuel Cutoff: 0; Low Idle: low; High Idle: higher minimum than low idle)      
  • Prop will control your RPM
In Beta mode, the throttle changes function and while the engine stays at idle, moving the lever will command a propeller blade pitch change to change your beta power output.
In Reverse mode, the prop is set to reverse pitch setting; throttle controls the throttle.

On 4/3/2019 at 7:10 AM, USierra said:

Thanks a lot! Things appear much clearer now. What still is missing for me to be happy is the possibiity to assign a joystick-button to toggle beta-range, but this is a different topic.

Here are two ways I set it up on my throttle or joystick: 

If you have a larger separate throttle you can set the detents for beta and reverse in the throttle axis response curves menu.

On a joystick or throttle you can set "toggle thrust reversers" to almost any button. This will throw the throttle into reverse rather abruptly so be prepared! 

aaaaaaaaaaa.PNG

bbbbbbbbbbb.PNG

Thanks Attitude

I have set the throttle reverse to a button, this works well.

But I have no success with the respone curve. I set it like in your screenshot, but the lever of the plane won't pass down below the "BETA" annotation even when I pull the throttle totally back.

When I grab the handle of the lever with the mouse to lift and pull back in BETA, it goes crazy (see Video).

i bought x-plane and the TBM 900. Great graphics. So far I cannot get the throttles to work no matter how many things I read, nor the trim adjust. Is there anyone out there that can talk me through this problem? Also the TBM 900 engine catches on fire even if I motor the engine but that will be next on my list.  Right now I just want to get the engine controls working. Heip!

2 hours ago, USierra said:

Thanks Attitude

I have set the throttle reverse to a button, this works well.

But I have no success with the respone curve. I set it like in your screenshot, but the lever of the plane won't pass down below the "BETA" annotation even when I pull the throttle totally back.

When I grab the handle of the lever with the mouse to lift and pull back in BETA, it goes crazy (see Video).

I don't think the curves work with the button. Try removing the button and trying the curves alone. Just be careful not to pull them into beta in the air as it does not like it. If that is too sensitive then try the button all by itself, no curves. 

20 minutes ago, lbakrow said:

i bought x-plane and the TBM 900. Great graphics. So far I cannot get the throttles to work no matter how many things I read, nor the trim adjust. Is there anyone out there that can talk me through this problem? Also the TBM 900 engine catches on fire even if I motor the engine but that will be next on my list.  Right now I just want to get the engine controls working. Heip!

I would really suggest posting this in the correct forum. http://forums.x-pilot.com/forums/forum/228-tbm-900/

With the TBM the way I have my throttle set is the button method that I mentioned above. Once you click it then you can bring the lever back into beta and then reverse then click it again to climb back above the gate to flight idle and above. The curve method does nothing for me with the TBM. Hope that helps! Like I said, try reposting this If my tip doesn't work... Cheers!